Lucia21

Government help and green card

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm sorry I didn't know where to post it.

I have kind of hard situation and need an advice.

Me and my husband (U.S.) applied on a green card in May and already received "ready to be scheduled interview "

We applied co-signer because he has low income and everything was perfect I was working part time and he was working in a nice job, but his job gonna finish in October and recently found out that I'm pregnant.

I feel like we could not handle to live on this money with a baby. But I know that we can't apply on government benefits because of my green card, so

How long we can't apply?

And may be I have other exit from this situation?

Please no judging and stupid advices like "abortion"

Thank you .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First congratulations!

I know your husband and baby will be able to get some help. I don't know much about this so I will let the more knowledgeable members help you with it.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Thank you very much:)

I hope so too:) I'm studying right now on esthetician (skin care) and I can work and make good money + I want to get nursing, but it's all later after baby will grow just a little but yeah it would be rough without any help some time....

First congratulations!

I know your husband and baby will be able to get some help. I don't know much about this so I will let the more knowledgeable members help you with it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You can get WIC for sure. Which is the milk and other dairy products for the baby and i know you can get some other minor stuff.

It does depend on your state if a state decides that it is a "State" program than you may be eligible for it. There are actually many things you can possibly qualify for. You can see which benefits you can't and can apply for on form I-864P on the bottom of the form.

You can apply for benefits when you become a citizen or if you have worked for 10 year in the US. Citizen would be faster in your case. So in your case it would be in 3 years starting right around after your interview.

As far as exits go i am not sure, again you as a sponsored immigrant can not apply for a lot of benefits but you can for some. Your husband might be able to apply for a lot of them though but this i don't know for sure.

Do not feel like you will be left alone with nothing, stay strong everything will be OK.

Timeline

Thank you very much.

Actually what about financial aid like student Ioan if I go to college?

You can get WIC for sure. Which is the milk and other dairy products for the baby and i know you can get some other minor stuff.

It does depend on your state if a state decides that it is a "State" program than you may be eligible for it. There are actually many things you can possibly qualify for. You can see which benefits you can't and can apply for on form I-864P on the bottom of the form.

You can apply for benefits when you become a citizen or if you have worked for 10 year in the US. Citizen would be faster in your case. So in your case it would be in 3 years starting right around after your interview.

As far as exits go i am not sure, again you as a sponsored immigrant can not apply for a lot of benefits but you can for some. Your husband might be able to apply for a lot of them though but this i don't know for sure.

Do not feel like you will be left alone with nothing, stay strong everything will be OK.

Timeline

I think you can get financial aid for school with no problems. That is not one of the criteria. Actually people who only have a student visa can get financial aid.

This is a list of criteria that you CAN get as a sponsored alien, this is from the USCIS website:

• Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care
  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Nutrition programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)- commonly referred to as Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs
  • Housing benefits
  • Child care services
  • Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Emergency disaster relief
  • Foster care and adoption assistance
  • Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary or higher education
  • Job training programs
  • In-kind, community-based programs, services or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)
  • Non-cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies
  • Cash payments that have been earned, such as Title II Social Security benefits, government pensions, and veterans' benefits, and other forms of earned benefits
  • Unemployment compensation

Timeline

So this topic is not so black and white. Some things you are allowed to get and some you are not. Some benefits you are allowed to get under special circumstances. Here is the link to the USCIS website where it is explained. I am not an expert about this topic so i apologize if any of this is wrong but i have researched this topic in the past too and the facts i am telling you as you can see are from official websites. I hope this puts your mind at ease at least a little bit. Do not stress about this too much. (easier said than done, I know...)

http://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yeah, in the same boat here. Applied beginning of July and I am pregnant too, don't have an insurance and the only thing we want to apply is Medicaid to cover medical bills. I am relieved to see Medicaid is on the list, on the other hand not sure if they will approve someone who is still in the process of adjusting status and has no green card in hands.

Legal Permanent Resident since 09.15.2015

ROC timeline

06.19.2017 I-751 mailed

06.22.2017 package delivered to Laguna Niguel PO box

06.23.2017 check cashed

06.27.2017 NOA-1 received dated 06.22.2017

07.14.2017 Biometrics letter received. Notice dated 06.30.2017

07.19.2017 Biometrics appointment 

Timeline

Thank you hun!!!

So this topic is not so black and white. Some things you are allowed to get and some you are not. Some benefits you are allowed to get under special circumstances. Here is the link to the USCIS website where it is explained. I am not an expert about this topic so i apologize if any of this is wrong but i have researched this topic in the past too and the facts i am telling you as you can see are from official websites. I hope this puts your mind at ease at least a little bit. Do not stress about this too much. (easier said than done, I know...)

http://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.