GH8283

Help! Panic Mode!!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Please help me, my fiancé has his interview next Tuesday (July 21). Lately, my attorneys assistant has been making "minor" mistakes. They are adding up now. I feel like i should be getting paid, always correcting her and telling her what to do. Well, apparently, our cosponsor wanted there financial information kept private from my fiancé. So this women faxed the documents to Naples. Because everything seems to be going wrong, I emailed Naples last night to be assured the documents arrived. They told me they don't accept anything mailed or faxed and that my fiancé needs to bring everything with him.

I have a call into my lawyer but fear I'll just get the run around. What do I do??? I have a 6 week old that hasn't seen her father, we can't afford for any more delays.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Can the cosponsor place her documents in an envelope, seal it, with the statement written on the exterior: Confidential: For Consular Official, Naples, Italy only?

Just a thought.....

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Can the cosponsor place her documents in an envelope, seal it, with the statement written on the exterior: Confidential: For Consular Official, Naples, Italy only?

Just a thought.....

That's about the only option I can think of, although there really is nothing to prevent the fiancee from opening up the enevelope and taking out the documents.

OP- sorry, but you're pretty much stuck with your fiance being able to see the I-134 and its supporting documents.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Please help me, my fiancé has his interview next Tuesday (July 21). Lately, my attorneys assistant has been making "minor" mistakes. They are adding up now. I feel like i should be getting paid, always correcting her and telling her what to do. Well, apparently, our cosponsor wanted there financial information kept private from my fiancé. So this women faxed the documents to Naples. Because everything seems to be going wrong, I emailed Naples last night to be assured the documents arrived. They told me they don't accept anything mailed or faxed and that my fiancé needs to bring everything with him.

I have a call into my lawyer but fear I'll just get the run around. What do I do??? I have a 6 week old that hasn't seen her father, we can't afford for any more delays.

Talk to the co-sponsor yourself. Explain that they don't accept faxes. Do the sealed envelope thing and FedEx or whatever it over to him. Tell him (and tell the co-sponsor that you're telling him) that if he opens it, co-sponsor may choose to not be a co-sponsor for AOS (which is what you actually need her for) and you're in a huge world of hurt then.

Then call the lawyer. Explain that this most recent mistake *that you just had to solve yourself* could have cost your entire visa approval. How do they not know that the consulate does not accept faxed materials (honestly, I could have told you that and I'm not at consular stage yet)? How would they not bother to call/email and check first--it's not like it's hard to do! You just did! I would fire the lawyer and demand a refund (demand full, accept partial).

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Timeline

Pitaya, that is the perfect idea, I wish I thought of that. His aunt and uncle are the co-sponsors, and just left last Friday for Italy, so probably won't be able to make it happen, but I will ask and see if I can make it happen.

I heard from the attorney, She claims, someone at Naples told her it was "ok" I could scream, we are so close to the end, if something goes wrong now, to add more to the delay.... ughhh

CatherineA, Ive thought about asking for my money back, but right now I don't want to do anything to rock the boat. Once next Tuesday is over, good or bad, they will hear about how I feel!

Pitaya, that is the perfect idea, I wish I thought of that. His aunt and uncle are the co-sponsors, and just left last Friday for Italy, so probably won't be able to make it happen, but I will ask and see if I can make it happen.

I heard from the attorney, She claims, someone at Naples told her it was "ok" I could scream, we are so close to the end, if something goes wrong now, to add more to the delay.... ughhh

CatherineA, Ive thought about asking for my money back, but right now I don't want to do anything to rock the boat. Once next Tuesday is over, good or bad, they will hear about how I feel!

Understood. Just a note though: you don't "ask" an incompetent lawyer for your money back. You demand it, with examples of every step along the way that they made this process take longer and become more expensive for you.

Edited to add: Ask them to provide you with the email that confirms that "someone in Naples" told them that it was ok to fax. And if it was a phone call, ask them to provide you with the approximate date of the call because consulates keep call logs (I have no idea if this is true), and you would like to find out who is responsible for this piece of information.

Edited by CatherineA

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Will you demand for me?!?! :)

There is almost nothing I am better at than getting angry on other people's behalf. I would absolutely call or send an email for you, or draft one for you to send for yourself. We'd have to really go over what exactly they told you and when, how much money you paid them and how much their advice has cost you.

First, just focus on getting those financial documents together for the interview. Just pretend like the fax didn't go through, just to cover your bases. The lawyer should have a copy still, right? Can you ask the lawyer to put it in a sealed envelope and FedEx to fiance? If the fax DID go through, and this panic mode is for nothing, no biggie, he'll have two copies of it at the interview. If it didn't..... I mean... From what I remember, you need that co-sponsor, right? Did you ever figure out if Naples does in fact accept co-sponsors for K1? I remember that was a big cause for concern a while back (congrats on the baby, by the way!)

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

!

Timeline

Thank you, thank you!! I will take you up on that offer! I'm not good at confrontation/standing up for myself.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can fedex the document. According to Naples, even if it was faxed, it would not be accepted. And, yes, they do accept a co sponsor. I hope everything goes well. I keep thinking "how could they deny him.." Thanks for the congrats... she is a pretty cute little girl :) how is the progress with your case going?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Good luck with everything!!!

I just wanted to say that we are in the same situation.
I hired a lawyer because my case was a bit complicated but I could have so done without him. I am always reminding him to do things and fixing typos on the forms. :sleepy:

Biggest waste of $1,000.

and the other thing we have in common is that i have 7 week old baby who my fiancee hasn't met yet. We are hoping he gets an interview in August!!!

Does your Italian fiancee know about A.I.R.E? I am a dual US/ Italian citizen, he should check in with the Italian consulate when he moves to the US and they will register him on A.I.R.E, that way he can still vote if he wants and he can register the birth of his baby. He can also register your eventual marriage at the consulate and that will be helpful if someday you want to pursue Italian citizenship.

9/01/13- Met online 7/10/15- NVC case # assigned **22 days from NOA2**

11/9/13- Met 1st time in person (L) 7/27/15- Case left NVC to South Africa!!!

2/01/14- Met 2nd time in person (L) 7/28/15- Case "ready"

9/01/14- Met 3rd time in person (L) 7/31/15- Consulate received

5/11/15- Mailed I-129F 8/4/15- Packet 3 received by email

5/19/15- NOA1--- Got routed to CSC!!! :dancing: 8/7/15- Sent Packet 3

5/22/15- File "touched" 8/7/15- Packet 4 received by email!

5/27/15- Our baby was born (L) 9/7- 9/8- Medical

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

9/29/15- US Entry---- Finally!!

Timeline

Hi Van2015, I can relate so well to you. Do you and your fiancé Skype? It isn't cutting it anymore for me! I know how hard it is to have a newborn alone! It amazes me how easy it is for people to come here illegally and get so much assistance, but when you go about things the right way, the system does nothing to help or keep families together.

If there is a positive for you, it is that you are at the California Service Center. It would seem to me that August is realistic.

I did not know about A.I.R.E, and I doubt he does :) but it will now be one of the first things we do once he is here, thank you!

I hope things move quickly for you. I know it's hard to stay up on things with a newborn, and having an incompetent lawyer just adds to the stress! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or any other good tips!

Thank you, thank you!! I will take you up on that offer! I'm not good at confrontation/standing up for myself.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can fedex the document. According to Naples, even if it was faxed, it would not be accepted. And, yes, they do accept a co sponsor. I hope everything goes well. I keep thinking "how could they deny him.." Thanks for the congrats... she is a pretty cute little girl :) how is the progress with your case going?

Excellent--just focus on getting those docs to him, thinking positive thoughts about the interview and kiss that baby tons :) Once you get through this part of it, if you're still out for blood (or well, money...I'll be out for blood for you!), we'll draft an email (probably best, honestly, to have a paper trail rather than just calling and yelling at the secretary).

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hi Van2015, I can relate so well to you. Do you and your fiancé Skype? It isn't cutting it anymore for me! I know how hard it is to have a newborn alone! It amazes me how easy it is for people to come here illegally and get so much assistance, but when you go about things the right way, the system does nothing to help or keep families together.

If there is a positive for you, it is that you are at the California Service Center. It would seem to me that August is realistic.

I did not know about A.I.R.E, and I doubt he does :) but it will now be one of the first things we do once he is here, thank you!

I hope things move quickly for you. I know it's hard to stay up on things with a newborn, and having an incompetent lawyer just adds to the stress! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or any other good tips!

I hope you got everything sorted out at the consulate!

My fiancee and I Skype all the time. He was in the delivery room on Skype with me when our son was born and he was at the baby shower on Skype. We actually have a picture from the shower of me and my parents and my fiancee (on a phone screen). lol.

It is not the same but at least we have that. The "baby cam" I have has an app and so he can log on his phone and see the baby if he is in his crib. And I mailed him some of his baby clothes so he could hold something of our son's.

Anyways hopefully your fiancee has his visa soon and mine too! :)

9/01/13- Met online 7/10/15- NVC case # assigned **22 days from NOA2**

11/9/13- Met 1st time in person (L) 7/27/15- Case left NVC to South Africa!!!

2/01/14- Met 2nd time in person (L) 7/28/15- Case "ready"

9/01/14- Met 3rd time in person (L) 7/31/15- Consulate received

5/11/15- Mailed I-129F 8/4/15- Packet 3 received by email

5/19/15- NOA1--- Got routed to CSC!!! :dancing: 8/7/15- Sent Packet 3

5/22/15- File "touched" 8/7/15- Packet 4 received by email!

5/27/15- Our baby was born (L) 9/7- 9/8- Medical

6/18/15- NOA2!!!! Email notification at 21:30 Central Time **30 days from NOA1** 9/17/15- Interview!!! APPROVED :luv:

9/28/15- Visa in hand

9/29/15- US Entry---- Finally!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.