10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

First off thank you to everyone at visa journey.. I've been lurking all the posts and with your help filled out the I-130 were approved within 3 weeks... !!

My questions have probably been answered before so I apologize in advance - I feel like part 2 of this ordeal is so much more complicated! My husband and I are living in Israel with our baby (our baby and I have dual citzenship and my husband is Israeli). My father (an American citizen who is self employed in the USA) will be our sponsor since I am not employed in the USA.

My questions:

-Does my father fill out an I-864 or do I fill out an I-864 and my father fills out an I-864A?

-Does my mother also have fill out an I-864/a because she and my father live together/file joint taxes? My mother is employed in a private school

-Is it more difficult for approval if my father is self employed (he owns two businesses) rather than if he were employed by a company?

-My adult brother (he is not a dependent) is co-owner of one of the businesses with my father. Is he required to be a part of any type of form as well?

-Lastly, is it more efficient for my mother to be our sponsor since she is employed by her school?

Thanks in advance for all the help with my questions hope your journey's are short.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

First off thank you to everyone at visa journey.. I've been lurking all the posts and with your help filled out the I-130 were approved within 3 weeks... !!

My questions have probably been answered before so I apologize in advance - I feel like part 2 of this ordeal is so much more complicated! My husband and I are living in Israel with our baby (our baby and I have dual citzenship and my husband is Israeli). My father (an American citizen who is self employed in the USA) will be our sponsor since I am not employed in the USA.

My questions:

-Does my father fill out an I-864 or do I fill out an I-864 and my father fills out an I-864A?

-Does my mother also have fill out an I-864/a because she and my father live together/file joint taxes? My mother is employed in a private school

-Is it more difficult for approval if my father is self employed (he owns two businesses) rather than if he were employed by a company?

-My adult brother (he is not a dependent) is co-owner of one of the businesses with my father. Is he required to be a part of any type of form as well?

-Lastly, is it more efficient for my mother to be our sponsor since she is employed by her school?

Thanks in advance for all the help with my questions hope your journey's are short.

are you using your address in the U.S. As theirs ? If you are your dad does the 864a you the i864, I'm living overseas and used both of my parents they both did a 864a cause I'm using my address as theirs .

Your mom can if she chooses or your dad does not make enough standing alone .

It's not more difficult I just tend to see people have a lot of issues with filling out forms and proving income and so on its up to you who you use if you can supply all the things needed . All they care about is if he meets the 125% .

No there is no need to include him in anything .

Like I mentioned use whoever is easier and meets the guidelines if both do pick your favorite I guess ? I don't know haha it will work out with whoever you choose .

Good luck

Edited by Morganalmonshid94

Timeline

I am using their US address as the one we will be living at when we arrive. Thank you so much :)

then if you use both both will do a i864a or if u use just one they will still do the i864a it's a super easy form so we luck out . Good luck .

My questions:

You do an I-864 and your father does an I-864 and your mother does an I-864a because she files jointly with your father.

See above

Sometimes because only income on the tax return transcript shows what he makes every year. Self employed are a little different this way

No.

probably if she makes enough.

If you are NOT currently living in the USA you cannot use your parents address as your own because it is not yours.

Other answers in bold and red.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks for your reply. The permenant address we use is out home in Israel. I am using my parents address as they place we intend to live when we move.... (which is the plan).

My mother has to make 125% over the poverty level for a family of 3 (mom + dad + my husband who is being sponsored?)

Thanks again.

Both of your parents combined should, but having your mother as the joint sponsor and your father as the household member as her income is easier to account for would be better than vice versa. But in the end it doesnt matter which is which. Generally the person who makes more = I-864 and the one who makes less = I-864a.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

sorry i am still confused. I will use my mom as the main sponsor since she receives a paycheck each month, and as everyone said, she is easier to provide evidence for - regardless my dad makes more than her, but she is still over the poverty line.

so my mom fills out a i864, my dad an i864a - and i also have to fill out an i864? or do i not have to do anything since i have no income or assests in the USA?

Thanks.

Yes you also fill out an I-864. The petitioner is always the main sponsor.

Your dads will be a contract between the sponsor (you I'm assuming) and your dad so you'll sign it as well as him. Your moms I864a is a contract between the sponsor you again and her so she signs it as well as you .

forgot to quote you so you can see it sorry

I did and my dad and mom had to both use a i864a I got a checklist trying to make my dad the co sponsor and my mom the household member because we all will have the same address, they would not allow me to do it this way . Both had to be simple household members .

This is the first time in over 2 years I have heard of that. I think the paperwork was a little off for that checklist.

Timeline

Yes you also fill out an I-864. The petitioner is always the main sponsor.

This is the first time in over 2 years I have heard of that. I think the paperwork was a little off for that checklist.

yeah I tried to argue with the supervisor because it seemed ridiculous but she's like well I've worked here 21 years so I should know by now I was like ok cool . -_-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.