the_bears

URGENT Birth Certificate Help...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yup. I'm THAT guy. That guy that I never thought I would be. And about 2 days before my appointment I come to realise that I don't have a 'long-form' birth certificate. That is to say that my birth certificate is a little square piece of paper that doesn't have any of my parents information on it.

I know this is the wrong one. I am just realising that now, for whatever reason, it was something my eyes have just chosen to blank out. I'm an idiot.

It is now Monday evening as I write this - my appointment is at 1pm on Thursday afternoon. Is there ANY chance of me being able to get a long-form birthday certificate before then? I'll literally do whatever I need to do to get one in time. I was born in Surrey but now live in Leeds, I'll happily go down to the local offices on Wednesday if it means I can pick one up the day before?! I just don't know if that is even possible?

Please any help at this point would be HUGELY appreciated to make me feel like somewhat less of an absolute idiot.

Also, to make matters even worse (yup, it's just been one of those days...) I registered to pay the MRV fee over the weekend and in my wisdom I selected the wrong option (I chose immigrant visa instead of K-1.... it gets me every single time the difference in my head). However, I can't seem to cancel this or delete the appointment or anything and obviously can't just register because their system already believes that there is an appointment with that Case number etc. I've e-mailed the embassy to see what I can do to change that, but due to the bank holiday haven't heard anything yet. Any advice please?! I just need some reassurance today that I'm not the worlds biggest idiot and that these problems can be fixed.

Timeline

Obviously give the Registrar in Surrey a call; but I would think that you can still go for your interview and explain to them what has happened. I am sure you will be able to send in a copy after the interview. True, you may not be officially approved on the day but supply the document and you should be good to go.

Coincidentally, I also have my interview this Thursday at 1pm..good luck.

Hi if the registry office in Surrey is anything like mine in Worcester then you can order one over the phone & then go in & collect it by hand, it will properly cost you a little more but at least you will have it for your interview. Also why not get an extra one just in case.

Brian

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In London some years back I just went and got mine, may have changed since then.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks for all the help everyone - I have use the Surrey Council website and ordered a long-form certificate, which I can pick up from their office. I will just have to make a little detour the morning of my interview to be there for 9am to pick it up & make it into central London by 12:30pm. Not ideal, but I'll have to make it work.

Good luck to you too, Spahawk. You might see me there, I'll be that dude pulling his hair out.

Anybody got any other advice for me on the other (and potentially bigger) problem about "registering" for the wrong type of VISA when trying to pay for my MRV Fee? :/ Eurgh. Idiot.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How many did you order?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Anybody got any other advice for me on the other (and potentially bigger) problem about "registering" for the wrong type of VISA when trying to pay for my MRV Fee? :/ Eurgh. Idiot.

If you are worried about the appointment, that isn't a problem. The same Immigrant Visa Unit folks do immigrant and K1 appointments. You will get an "immigrant" sticker and number when you go in.

If you paid $325 (immigrant) instead of $265 (K visa), you may not get a refund, but you have a receipt showing you are paid up plus. Sort it when you get there. It is all fixable, even going without the proper birth certificate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Anyone else who needs a copy of their birth certificate quickly (sent via 1st class post the next working day), you can order it online with a priority delivery from the GRO:

"Priority service

A priority service is available for £23.40. Your certificate will be sent the next working day by first class post if you order by 4pm.

Phone the GRO to arrange special delivery.

General Register Office
Telephone: 0300 123 1837
Text relay: 18001 0300 123 1837
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 4pm"

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate#other-ways-to-apply

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Timeline

If you are worried about the appointment, that isn't a problem. The same Immigrant Visa Unit folks do immigrant and K1 appointments. You will get an "immigrant" sticker and number when you go in.

If you paid $325 (immigrant) instead of $265 (K visa), you may not get a refund, but you have a receipt showing you are paid up plus. Sort it when you get there. It is all fixable, even going without the proper birth certificate.

That's the strange thing, I don't have the option anywhere it seems to actually pay anything?! I guess because I've registered under the different visa category perhaps it isn't prompting for payment anywhere? At this point I'd happily pay the extra $60 or whatever and be done with it. I called the call centre for them and whilst the woman was very polite she basically said there's nothing that she could do about it & that I would have to e-mail their customer support e-mail & they MIGHT be able to sort it. I've e-mailed so hopefully they will see it sooner than the 3-4 business days they quote you :/ time to pray.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello,

Just a quick update for anyone reading this in the future that may have the same problem I did. It is in fact very easy to get quick copies of your birth certificate from your local council where you were born, and it seems they can have them turned around very quickly, if you need it that way. I'd highly recommend just ticking it off the list early, however, and avoiding any unnecessary stress. Trust me on that one. Also, if you do screw up the MRV thing, and you realise it sooner than e-mail the support e-mail address ASAP, because it will take them a couple of days to get back to you. Thankfully, I had a response the night before my interview and they were able to fix my screw up, so I could pay the MRV fee before my interview.

So, thankfully everything went absolutely fine at my interview. It was very easy, once I got to the window both times. I think I got asked about three questions & that was it. The woman at the 2nd window was in fact very nice and friendly and just make everything a million times easier as soon as I got up there. Although, I think due to all the appointment times being PM ones, the place was absolutely packed. I must have been in there close to 4 hours in the end, I've never seen it that busy before. Anyway, I picked my passport up last week, it was about 10 days from Interview to it being back with me in Leeds, so not bad really. Thank you to everyone who has helped out! I owe you all many, many drinks to say thank you. Now, onto the next phase!...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Are all the wedding plans coming together now?

Oh, and I'm not sure if I've ever helped you, but I'd love a G&T if you're buying drinks :D

Have a safe journey and all the best for your move, the wedding and your new life in the U.S. :)

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.