xDestineyx

Questions Regarding I-864

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello,

1. I'm a US citizen preparing the I-864 package, the cover sheet also feature supporting documents request, does that mean this cover sheet cover both the IV package and the affidavit of support?

2. In form I-864, my friend is going to sponsor my family, who are my wife, three children, 19,12,10 respectively, as the only joint sponsor, he made my wife as the principle applicant on part 2 of this form, and listed all the others on part 3, I'm going to make to make 2 copies of it for my wife and my 19 years old son, is that is the right move? I'm just confused because each family member have a different case number.

Note: my other 2 children are eligible for the I-864w which means they don't need any financial support documents other than the form itself.

3. In the cover sheet and under "Supporting documents" I have to submit marriage certificates and marriage termination certificates if applicable, do they mean the petitioner's marriage certificate(s), the immigrants' marriage certificate(s) or both here? do I have to add a copy for each of my children too?

4. Do I have to sign an I-864 for each one of them too? Even if I'm not sponsoring them?

5. While I have filed for 2013 and 2014, I have only recently filed my 2012 tax return by mail since I haven't been to the US for decades, and I think it hasn't been processed or even received by IRS yet, but I did state on the AOS that I have filed federal tax returns for the most recent three years, is that alright? What if they check and since it's not yet processed think that I didn't even though that it was sent?

6. Do I have to submit a tax return or transcript for the most recent tax year even if I'm not sponsoring them?

Thank You

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

number one, you are the main sponsor, as the petitioner you will file an i864 for each of the family members petitioned, whether the i864 or i864W

you friend is your joint sponsor, he cannot put your son on your wife's i864,

did you file a separate i130 for your son? there are no derivatives on spouse's petitions, children are filed separately, and it says on part 3 that you shouldn't include members that are being filed separately

you will file your own i864 and your friend will file one i864 as joint sponsor for your wile and one i864 as joint sponsor for your 19 year old son

you fill out both i864W for your minor children

Timeline

hi

number one, you are the main sponsor, as the petitioner you will file an i864 for each of the family members petitioned, whether the i864 or i864W

you friend is your joint sponsor, he cannot put your son on your wife's i864,

did you file a separate i130 for your son? there are no derivatives on spouse's petitions, children are filed separately, and it says on part 3 that you shouldn't include members that are being filed separately

you will file your own i864 and your friend will file one i864 as joint sponsor for your wile and one i864 as joint sponsor for your 19 year old son

you fill out both i864W for your minor children

Thank you for the reply, yes, each of my family members had their own I-130 and case numbers, even though they were all sent together and were accepted on the same day.

Actually I'm not sponsoring anyone since I'm currently unemployed and have no such proof for myself. My friend, being the joint sponsor has filed one and listed my wife as the principle immigrant with all the other children listed on part 3, is he supposed to file another one for my 19 years old son instead, listing him as the principle immigrant and leaving part 3 blank? He says that if we do so it will count the family twice (from his previous experience) and that making two copies of it for each should suffice, is that true? I'm clueless at this point, I don't know what to do.

If I have to file my own I-864 with my zero income, how do I fill part 3, who am I sponsoring? which square should I check?

Does anyone know the answer to my fifth question in my first post?

Edited by xDestineyx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You really need to carefully read through all of the I-864 instructions. The petitioner must always supply an I-864, even if earning nothing and using a joint sponsor. You fill one out for each immigrant you filed a petition for. As it states on the form itself, you 'Do not include any relative listed on a separate visa petition.' in Part 3 - Family Members.

Each immigrant that had a visa petition filed for them must have their own separate I-864. You will file one for each person you filed a petition for, and your joint sponsor will need to do the same, if they are sponsoring all of the immigrants. You do not list all the intending immigrants in the household size in Part 5 because Part 5 #6 states to list those you have filed an I-864 for that are already lawful permanent residents. Not sure how it will count the family twice.

You only have to include the most recent year's tax return/transcript with the I-864. You have to list the total income from the last 3 years on the form itself.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thank you all.

So for the ones that I have to file, I should type the beneficiary's name in part 2, how about part 3 item 1 should I check "Yes" or "No ( Applicable Only in cases with two joint sponsors)"? I don't have two joint sponsors and I'm not sponsoring anyone.

Also, While I have filed for 2013 and 2014, I have only recently filed my 2012 tax return by mail since I haven't been to the US for decades, and I think it hasn't been processed or even received by IRS yet, but I did state on the AOS that I have filed federal tax returns for the most recent three years, is that alright? What if they check and since it's not yet processed think that I didn't even though that it was sent?

Do I have to submit a tax return or transcript for the most recent tax year even if I'm not sponsoring them?

Edited by xDestineyx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You check Yes. You are not using more than one joint sponsor or having family members without their own visa petition listed, so each form will be about one principal immigrant.

As I said, you have to list the total income from the last 3 years on the form itself, but only submit the most recent year. You check that you filed all 3 years because you have.

You still seem to be confused about sponsorship. You are sponsoring them. You are the petitioner that filled out the I-130 forms for them, are you not? The petitioner is always the primary sponsor, even if they don't meet the requirement and require a joint sponsor. You must fill out your own I-864 for each immigrant you filed a petition for. You will need to follow the form instructions and one of the requirements is to list the last 3 years of total income from your tax returns and submit the most recent year's complete copy of return with all forms, attachments, schedules, W-2s and/or 1099s, or an IRS tax return transcript.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Page 6 = Tax Info

Page 8 = Who completes an I-864

Page 9 = Joint sponsors

Also, be sure your joint sponsor provides proof of being a US citizen or lawful permanent resident. That info found on Page 4.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Yeah I do know all about it but I had so many doubts and I just want to avoid any RFE which could cause more delays and make things worse, so thank you very much for clearing my doubts. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.