YouAndMeForever

Getting Social Security Number BEFORE the card arrives?

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I'm in the US on a K1 visa, my POE was on December 6th, 2014. I don't have a SSN and I'm not married to my USC fiance yet. My plan is to go to the local SSA office with my fiance tomorrow and apply for a SSN.

My question is, is there some way to get my SSN before the actual card arrives in mail (from what I have read it can take 2 weeks)? The reason I'm asking this is because in our state (Missouri; Jackson county) it is required for both applicants to provide their SSN (the card itself is not needed, only the number) when applying for a marriage license. We want to get married as soon as possible, so therefore I need to have a Social Security Number as soon as possible.

Thanks for answering.

What I can say is my Fiancee & I went to the SSA office on Friday, Jan 3rd. Her POE was Wednesday, Jan 1st. We got a paper saying we would get the actual Card in the mail in about 1 week, but there was no actual SSN on it.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

I've never heard of anyone applying for a SSN before the EAD or green card had been approved. Is this something that the SS office allows for K1 visa holders? Or is this something that applies to anyone waiting for AOS? I am adjusting from F1, wonder if I can go apply for a SSN while waiting! That'd be awesome.

N-400

April 25, 2018 - Interview in Jacksonville, FL

May 24, 2018 - Oath Ceremony

I-130 for Mom

May 24, 2018 - Mailed I-130 for mom via UPS One-Day shipping

I've never heard of anyone applying for a SSN before the EAD or green card had been approved. Is this something that the SS office allows for K1 visa holders? Or is this something that applies to anyone waiting for AOS? I am adjusting from F1, wonder if I can go apply for a SSN while waiting! That'd be awesome.

It doesn't apply to all Visas. I know it does for K-1. Not sure about F1.

ROC Timeline!

NOA2017-09-01

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Transferred? No

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Everyone is applying for SSN before their Green Card or EAD is approved. On a K1 at least not sure about F1.

I got married with just my foreign passport. Ssn was never an issue. You'll be fine.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

What I can say is my Fiancee & I went to the SSA office on Friday, Jan 3rd. Her POE was Wednesday, Jan 1st. We got a paper saying we would get the actual Card in the mail in about 1 week, but there was no actual SSN on it.

That is why I stated you must go back after a couple of days. The local office processes the application and sends it into the main SSA HQ. They then assign a SSN. Once they do that, you can get a print out with the number on it. That porcess takes a few days and the card will arrive a few days later. So you do not save much time by getting the number printed out in most cases. In our case, the SSC was sent back to the SSA by the USPS. When we went in to check on the status of her card, they told us that it was returned and gave us the print out with her SSN on it. We had them mail the new card to the local SSA office and came back a few weeks later, but in the mean time we had her number.

Dave

That is why I stated you must go back after a couple of days. The local office processes the application and sends it into the main SSA HQ. They then assign a SSN. Once they do that, you can get a print out with the number on it. That porcess takes a few days and the card will arrive a few days later. So you do not save much time by getting the number printed out in most cases. In our case, the SSC was sent back to the SSA by the USPS. When we went in to check on the status of her card, they told us that it was returned and gave us the print out with her SSN on it. We had them mail the new card to the local SSA office and came back a few weeks later, but in the mean time we had her number.

Dave

I see. So if we require the actual # prior to receiving the physical Card, just go back to the local SSA office that we went to to apply for the SSN & they can give us a printout with the #. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. We may do that just because I want to add her to my medical/dental/vision insurance the day I go back to work after our wedding/honeymoon. That would be on Jan 14. Since we applied for her SSN on Jan 2, it's possible we won't have the physical Card by Jan 14. So maybe we'll go back to the office on Jan 13.

ROC Timeline!

NOA2017-09-01

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Transferred? No

Hey guys!

I'm in the US on a K1 visa, my POE was on December 6th, 2014. I don't have a SSN and I'm not married to my USC fiance yet. My plan is to go to the local SSA office with my fiance tomorrow and apply for a SSN.

My question is, is there some way to get my SSN before the actual card arrives in mail (from what I have read it can take 2 weeks)? The reason I'm asking this is because in our state (Missouri; Jackson county) it is required for both applicants to provide their SSN (the card itself is not needed, only the number) when applying for a marriage license. We want to get married as soon as possible, so therefore I need to have a Social Security Number as soon as possible.

Thanks for answering.

you can go and apply for your ssn,they will give you copy that you already applied for ssn,and yes it takes two weeks,after you apply for ssn you can apply for marriage license,if they ask your ssn just simply show them the piece of paper from ss office,they will let you sign some paper regarding of your ssn,then thats it.what i shared is based on my experience,goodluck

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

Read your POE review. When the CBP officer was typing information in, he might of been added you to SAVE.

Did the agents at SSA ask any questions when you went a couple of days after your arrival? I have read documents from the SSA that say to wait 10 days after you arrival before you apply. I suspect they say that in order make sure any databases have been updated.

I took my mother-in-law and father-in-law to a local SSA office yesterday to apply for their numbers. I explained to the SSA agent at the check-in counter that they had IR-5 immigrant visas. He looked at their passports saw the visa with the CBP admitted stamp and said that was all they needed. We already had the SS-5 filled out. The agent that processed the application for my mother-in-law asked if they have been to the US before. I said they have as visitors but have never needed a number before. Lastly, no one asked if they request a SSN when they applied for their Immigrant Visa on their DS-260. We went to SSA 11 days after their arrival. My wife and I are realizing it is basically impossible to do anything here in the US without a SSN. The big reason for the SSN now is so they can apply for health insurance with the health exchange.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Oh ok! Thanks for the info, everyone!

N-400

April 25, 2018 - Interview in Jacksonville, FL

May 24, 2018 - Oath Ceremony

I-130 for Mom

May 24, 2018 - Mailed I-130 for mom via UPS One-Day shipping

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

I see. So if we require the actual # prior to receiving the physical Card, just go back to the local SSA office that we went to to apply for the SSN & they can give us a printout with the #. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. We may do that just because I want to add her to my medical/dental/vision insurance the day I go back to work after our wedding/honeymoon. That would be on Jan 14. Since we applied for her SSN on Jan 2, it's possible we won't have the physical Card by Jan 14. So maybe we'll go back to the office on Jan 13.

We got a nice surprise in the mail today. We received the SS cards for both of my in-laws today.

I took them to a local office on Tuesday, Jan 6. Per the postmark on the envelope they were mailed on Jan 8 from the Baltimore area. Might be fast for us to get it because we live in Maryland only about 45 miles away from Baltimore.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Read your POE review. When the CBP officer was typing information in, he might of been added you to SAVE.

Did the agents at SSA ask any questions when you went a couple of days after your arrival? I have read documents from the SSA that say to wait 10 days after you arrival before you apply. I suspect they say that in order make sure any databases have been updated.

I took my mother-in-law and father-in-law to a local SSA office yesterday to apply for their numbers. I explained to the SSA agent at the check-in counter that they had IR-5 immigrant visas. He looked at their passports saw the visa with the CBP admitted stamp and said that was all they needed. We already had the SS-5 filled out. The agent that processed the application for my mother-in-law asked if they have been to the US before. I said they have as visitors but have never needed a number before. Lastly, no one asked if they request a SSN when they applied for their Immigrant Visa on their DS-260. We went to SSA 11 days after their arrival. My wife and I are realizing it is basically impossible to do anything here in the US without a SSN. The big reason for the SSN now is so they can apply for health insurance with the health exchange.

The SSA Agent had no issues with the fact that we went & applied for the SS Card 2 days after her POE. However, the initial SSA Agent said she wasn't trained on SS Card for K-1 & had to defer to her superior. Once we spoke to her superior, we had all that done in like 15 minutes. They did require a copy of something; I just can't remember which of the following: birth cert (translated), I-94 (printable online), or passport. So I recommend bringing all 3 to anyone who's wondering.

We got a nice surprise in the mail today. We received the SS cards for both of my in-laws today.

I took them to a local office on Tuesday, Jan 6. Per the postmark on the envelope they were mailed on Jan 8 from the Baltimore area. Might be fast for us to get it because we live in Maryland only about 45 miles away from Baltimore.

Awesome! We also had hers sitting in the mail yesterday, the day we returned from our wedding & honeymoon.

ROC Timeline!

NOA2017-09-01

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Transferred? No

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You are doing a very smart thing, going to the SS office, and getting your process started.

Do not make the mistake we made, got married, then applied for SSN, what a nightmare. It took months to get straight.

There was no such name in the system, for my wife's first name and her "new married name" our big mistake.

It had the name her I-94 showed. Took five trips, and a "specialist" to get her card ordered.

Hi raven52. I am in the same case that's why my SS number application is still pending until now. I applied last September 2014 using my married name. (same mistake) I should've used my maiden name.

But anyway, I want to know how were you able to get your wife's SSN finally.

Because for me, my green card is still pending but I received my work authorization card last December 2014 in my married name (of course). I submitted a copy of it to the SS office but until now. No update from them yet.

I read some who were issued SSN using work authorization card but I don't know what that SS office needs.

Can you share me, how did you finally get it. Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.