pinksquare

So confused, change name before AOS or after?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The ability to change all your names based on marriage is controlled by state law. For example NY state has a law that only the last name may be changed based on marriage. In many other states tradition rather than laws prevent some from being able to move the maiden name to the middle name position. Its good to know what your state laws and traditions are, plus the experience of others in your state, or you could run into some stiff resistance when you then go on to assert your married name at some state office, such as getting your drivers license or state ID.

Thank you Caryh! You mentioned a crucial point which I've never thought about before. It's doozy that many states have different rules about almost everything...

I'll make sure looking that up and stay contious about it.

Thank you very much!

May Force Be With You.

I'm glad you got the help you needed, while I also learned something new :)

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

On the social security office they told me to fill the paperwork for aos with the name I want to use. Since I ll use only my husband s I fill with my husband s name. And u sign with ur new signature. And after u receive the green card u go and change ur last name too on ssn. Simple :) good luck

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

On the social security office they told me to fill the paperwork for aos with the name I want to use. Since I ll use only my husband s I fill with my husband s name. And u sign with ur new signature. And after u receive the green card u go and change ur last name too on ssn. Simple :) good luck

Thank you very much Mrs_Lyds! That is what I'm doing now. Your experience makes me feel even better about what I'm doing. Thank you!! :)

May Force Be With You.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.