Justdazed

NEXUS and Dual Citizenship - Crossing the border

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Over the holidays I will be crossing the border (land) for the first time as a Dual Citizen. I will be bringing my Canadian passport, enhanced US driver's license, and NEXUS card (US issued). I'm a bit confused with how the NEXUS situation will work since it appears I can only list one citizenship. Since it's states my citizenship is US, should I give my Canadian passport to the border guard as well? Any other information that would be helpful? I read somewhere that I should be entering each respective country as a citizen (going to Canada, Canadian - going to the US, American).

Officially a citizen. My journey took 6 years, 6 months, and 29 days

ruler1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, if you want to have the easiest time crossing, be US when you cross into the US and be Canadian when you cross into Canada.

I realize, however, that that does nothing to clarify using your US nexus pass while crossing into Canada.

However, I don't know where you cross but, the Sarnia border is rarely busy on the canadian side, so perhaps you won't need to nexus on that side at all.

I've found the nexus pass is way more beneficial on the US side lol.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Over the holidays I will be crossing the border (land) for the first time as a Dual Citizen. I will be bringing my Canadian passport, enhanced US driver's license, and NEXUS card (US issued). I'm a bit confused with how the NEXUS situation will work since it appears I can only list one citizenship. Since it's states my citizenship is US, should I give my Canadian passport to the border guard as well? Any other information that would be helpful? I read somewhere that I should be entering each respective country as a citizen (going to Canada, Canadian - going to the US, American).

I was just looking at my NEXUS paperwork and I received a form to mail/fax in to change information for my NEXUS card. At the very bottom there is a section for notes for visas, etc.

Maybe you could list your new citizenship in there if you have that in order for them to update their system.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

When entering Canada and interacting with Canadian officials - show proof of your Canadian citizenship.

When entering the US and interacting with US officials - show proof of your US citizenship.

Canadian citizenship is what is important when entering Canada, so your US citizenship is secondary. And US laws requires you to use proof of US citizenship to enter the US.

Filed: Other Timeline

Canada does allow, recognize -- and even encourage -- multiple citizenship.

The United States does not prohibit it, does not recognize it, and does not encourage it.

Thus, a Canadian citizen who is also a US citizen can travel exclusively with their US passport. It doesn't work the other way around.

What's required is that you identify yourself as a Canadian citizen to authorities upon request. That doesn't imply even having a Canadian passport; it's in fact similar to the requirement of a US citizen to identify themselves to law enforcement, despite the fact that there is no law in the United States that would require a US citizen to carry any form of ID on them (yay!).

So you can travel with your Nexus card, your US passport (not even needed), and upon request tell the Canadian border patrol that you are a Canadian citizen as well.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Canada does allow, recognize -- and even encourage -- multiple citizenship.

The United States does not prohibit it, does not recognize it, and does not encourage it.

Thus, a Canadian citizen who is also a US citizen can travel exclusively with their US passport. It doesn't work the other way around.

What's required is that you identify yourself as a Canadian citizen to authorities upon request. That doesn't imply even having a Canadian passport; it's in fact similar to the requirement of a US citizen to identify themselves to law enforcement, despite the fact that there is no law in the United States that would require a US citizen to carry any form of ID on them (yay!).

So you can travel with your Nexus card, your US passport (not even needed), and upon request tell the Canadian border patrol that you are a Canadian citizen as well.

Thank you! When my NEXUS card said Canadian Citizen the American border guards would always want to see my green card (and sometimes they were quite rude about it). My rationale with the card was change the citizenship to US and avoid that situation specifically. After reading everyone's comments I feel this was the right choice and once I get my US passport I'll be set to bring both with me.

I'm sure as I go back and forth I'll learn what works and what doesn't :)

ruler1.jpg

Timeline

Thank you! When my NEXUS card said Canadian Citizen the American border guards would always want to see my green card (and sometimes they were quite rude about it). My rationale with the card was change the citizenship to US and avoid that situation specifically. After reading everyone's comments I feel this was the right choice and once I get my US passport I'll be set to bring both with me.

Agreed.

It's always easier to get into Canada than the US.

Stingy US CBP officers.

Canada is like COME ON OVER!

oldlady.gif

Timeline

One just has to remember the USA sees you as only a USA citizen and Canada is like, ok whatever, your outfit matches, you have no guns on ya, please come on in!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

One just has to remember the USA sees you as only a USA citizen and Canada is like, ok whatever, your outfit matches, you have no guns on ya, please come on in!!

Yep pretty much!

ruler1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.