Rebecca W.

I-130 cover letter, is this okay?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Does this cover letter for I-130 look okay?

January 15, 2012 (that's when I'm guessing I'll send it)

(USCIS address)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I, (name), a US Citizen, am submitting the documents contained in this package for the I-130 for my spouse, (his name), a citizen of Japan.

Enclosed, please find:

1) Cover Letter (This document)

2) G-1145 (E-Notification of Application)

3) Form I-130

4) Copy of all pages of (my name)'s passport

5) A copy of the Japanese marriage certificate and its English translation

6) G-325A completed by (my name), including photograph

7) G-325A completed by (his name) (non-US Citizen spouse), including photograph

8) Copy of (his name)'s “koseki” (Japanese family registry, serves as a birth certificate) and English translation

9) Copy of (his name)'s Japanese passport

10) Payment in the form of a personal check for $420

11) Evidence of a bonafide marriage

a. Story of how (my name) and (his name) met

b. Copy of (my name)'s legal registration of address in Japan, and English translation

c. Copy of (his name)’s legal registration of address in Japan, and English translation

d. Copy of correspondence from XXXXX Insurance (property insurance company) in the form of a post card sent to (his name) at our legally registered address in Japan, and its English translation

• These documents serve as proof that (our names) live together at the same residence in marital union

e. Copy of recent electricity bill, showing that the address listed in ‘b’ is the same

f. Recent photographs of (our names) together

Sincerely,

(my name)

(my address/email/phone number)

Missing anything?

1-18-2012 - I-130 Sent (from Japan to Chicago Lockbox)

1-22-2012 - I-130 Received in Chicago

2-3-2012 - Received NOA1 in Japan

2-7-2012- I-130 Approved! (so fast!!)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Does this cover letter for I-130 look okay?

January 15, 2012 (that's when I'm guessing I'll send it)

(USCIS address)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I, (name), a US Citizen, am submitting the documents contained in this package for the I-130 for my spouse, (his name), a citizen of Japan.

Enclosed, please find:

1) Cover Letter (This document)

2) G-1145 (E-Notification of Application)

3) Form I-130

4) Copy of all pages of (my name)'s passport

5) A copy of the Japanese marriage certificate and its English translation

6) G-325A completed by (my name), including photograph

7) G-325A completed by (his name) (non-US Citizen spouse), including photograph

8) Copy of (his name)'s “koseki” (Japanese family registry, serves as a birth certificate) and English translation

9) Copy of (his name)'s Japanese passport

10) Payment in the form of a personal check for $420

11) Evidence of a bonafide marriage

a. Story of how (my name) and (his name) met

b. Copy of (my name)'s legal registration of address in Japan, and English translation

c. Copy of (his name)’s legal registration of address in Japan, and English translation

d. Copy of correspondence from XXXXX Insurance (property insurance company) in the form of a post card sent to (his name) at our legally registered address in Japan, and its English translation

• These documents serve as proof that (our names) live together at the same residence in marital union

e. Copy of recent electricity bill, showing that the address listed in ‘b’ is the same

f. Recent photographs of (our names) together

Sincerely,

(my name)

(my address/email/phone number)

Missing anything?

I can't see anything that could be missing, but it is unnecessary at this stage to send your foreign spouse's passport copy and birth certificate. It is only required later, at NVC stage, and they will request it event though you sent these documents to USCIS before.

Oh yes, one thing: behind the pictures, write the name of the people present, the date and place it was taken.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Double check with the checklist located in the "Guides" tab at the top of the forum page.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I can't see anything that could be missing, but it is unnecessary at this stage to send your foreign spouse's passport copy and birth certificate. It is only required later, at NVC stage, and they will request it event though you sent these documents to USCIS before.

Oh yes, one thing: behind the pictures, write the name of the people present, the date and place it was taken.

Thanks! I'll take out the birth certificate, because that's one less thing to translate at this stage, but I'll leave in the copy of the passport, because that's easy as pie.

Thanks for the note about the pictures. How many pictures would you recommend I send in? I have a gazillion photos of us together, but no "wedding" photos because we haven't had a ceremony.

1-18-2012 - I-130 Sent (from Japan to Chicago Lockbox)

1-22-2012 - I-130 Received in Chicago

2-3-2012 - Received NOA1 in Japan

2-7-2012- I-130 Approved! (so fast!!)

Filed: Timeline

I'm estimating a January 15th filing date too! We're just sending in 5 - 10 pictures, showing us vacationing in different countries, and all from slightly diffrent points in time. While you should still provide proof now, the brunt of it won't come until the interview, and especially when removing conditions (if you've been married less than 2 years).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Unless the copy of "his" passport has stamps in it that shows trips you two took together to another country or trips to see you in the US, then it is of no value at this point and does not need to be included when filing the petition.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello @ REBECCA, been stationed in Japan for 5 years off and off time to get back back to the states with the wife, however we are doing here IR1 CR1 visa right now. I just completed her I130 packet and thank you for the Cover Letter it helped me out a lot on putting my stuff together.

I am going to use to use Express Mail

USCIS

Attn: I-130

131 South Dearborn-3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

address, It will most likely put me at least 10days if not even more ahead of the game.

Once again Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.