waitwaitwait

Government Shutdown?

175 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Whew thank you for taking the time to respond and putting my mind at rest.

It doesn't mean very much. The entire government will not stop working. It will only effect non-essential government functions like national parks, some parts of the departments of education, agriculture and energy, and other really obscure government offices.

Key functions like defense, DHS, the department of state (embassies and consulates), FBI, CIA, Medicare/Medicaid, and Social Security will operate as usual.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Whew thank you for taking the time to respond and putting my mind at rest.

I believe NVC and embassy visa issuing will stop. I am in a similar boat, about to get expedited out of VSC, what if mine is in the post when NVC closes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello all,

This is my first post and joined today and filed my I29F on April 1.

Will the government shutdown effect processing times further than they already are?

May Vermont filers have been waiting for over 6 months and the government shutdown will be agony.

I am trying to set my expectations that this could be longer than an 8 or 9 month process.

regards

mike

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

People need to stop fear-mongering.

USCIS is run from what YOU pay them for your petition. It is not government funded. Your paying them with the fees to do the work.

This question has been asked a plethora of times, if you use the search function you can find it.

Nice thought.

USCIS has many functions as part of the DHS. Government shutdowns are political ploys to get ones way, it doesn't work if people are not inconvenienced. Th eIRS plans to let go the people that process tax refunds but not the ones that process payments received.

Our friends that work at VSC tell us they will be off if the government shuts down

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Yes, Mike, all government buildings will be closed and non-essential workers will be "locked out" essentially. I heard today that they are considering even blocking government email so people definitely can't work. Government contractors are also not allowed to work on their current government sponsored projects, so the USCIS website and telephone line won't be staffed by contractors.

Short answer, yes, it will affect your timeline.

However, I'm pretty optimistic that there won't be a prolonged shut down. It will actually cost more for them to shut it down than it will be for them to keep the govt. open. I don't expect another 3 week shut down, but a few days is possible.

(I work for the government in another department and that is the latest update we've been given today-we will be getting a better update tomorrow and definitely by Thursday or Friday we'll know if it's going to happen for sure.)

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-07

Touched: 2010-12-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Keep in mind USCIS is self funded, it is paid for by the fees paid for petitions and applications, so more than likely will not be affected.

we have friends and neighbors at VSC. They have been told they will be off work without pay but can use vacation pay if they want.

USCIS wouldn't be, but the NVC and all Consulates/Embassy's would be.

as of right now, VSC WOULD be affected, unless something changes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I believe NVC and embassy visa issuing will stop. I am in a similar boat, about to get expedited out of VSC, what if mine is in the post when NVC closes

Look at J & K's response. It looks like there is nothing to worry about .... good luck :thumbs:

Timeline

Yes, Mike, all government buildings will be closed and non-essential workers will be "locked out" essentially. I heard today that they are considering even blocking government email so people definitely can't work. Government contractors are also not allowed to work on their current government sponsored projects, so the USCIS website and telephone line won't be staffed by contractors.

Short answer, yes, it will affect your timeline.

However, I'm pretty optimistic that there won't be a prolonged shut down. It will actually cost more for them to shut it down than it will be for them to keep the govt. open. I don't expect another 3 week shut down, but a few days is possible.

(I work for the government in another department and that is the latest update we've been given today-we will be getting a better update tomorrow and definitely by Thursday or Friday we'll know if it's going to happen for sure.)

What will happen to interviews already scheduled ?? mine is scheduled in Montreal on 15 April

Timeline

Nice thought.

USCIS has many functions as part of the DHS. Government shutdowns are political ploys to get ones way, it doesn't work if people are not inconvenienced. Th eIRS plans to let go the people that process tax refunds but not the ones that process payments received.

Our friends that work at VSC tell us they will be off if the government shuts down

Yes, I agree with you Gary they will definitely be furloughed or "off" for that time. Processing fees does not mean that their status as non-essential government workers will change. All non-essential workers will be off and most agencies have given warnings buildings will be closed, we cannot answer emails, blackberries, or process any work. Failure to comply with this can legally result in termination.

Timeline

What will happen to interviews already scheduled ?? mine is scheduled in Montreal on 15 April

I'm not sure since I don't work at an embassy presently. There are several embassy functions that are considered essential, primarily those that deal with security and safety as well as high level posts. Those positions are not the ones that would be interviewing you so I am guessing if the government is closed you definitely should check before going to that interview. I would contact them this week and ask what happens and how they plan to reschedule interviews.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Will US embassy overseas be affected? :unsure:

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Timeline

I'm not sure since I don't work at an embassy presently. There are several embassy functions that are considered essential, primarily those that deal with security and safety as well as high level posts. Those positions are not the ones that would be interviewing you so I am guessing if the government is closed you definitely should check before going to that interview. I would contact them this week and ask what happens and how they plan to reschedule interviews.

thank you for that advice

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Interviews scheduled for a day the government is shut down will be rescheduled. Visa interviews don't qualify as an essential service. I would expect they will be rescheduled for the earliest available date and that people will be squeezed in to the schedule as fast as possible.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Interviews scheduled for a day the government is shut down will be rescheduled. Visa interviews don't qualify as an essential service. I would expect they will be rescheduled for the earliest available date and that people will be squeezed in to the schedule as fast as possible.

Oh gosh, what a mess. They are already playing with our lives ... won't someone please give us a break :angry: