Jammin

Getting new license with expired green card

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We just moved to a new state and my husband needs to exchange his old driver's license for a new one. However, the ID requirements for pr's state "unexpired green card." We have his recently expired green card plus the NOA for the I-751 granting the 1 year extension.

Does anyone know whether or not this will be accepted at the DMV?

Technically according to state law, we need to get him the new license within 30 days of moving and of course he won't get his 10 year green card for several months still.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I was just at the DMV last night.

Your husband has to bring the green card and the NOA1- extenstion letter. You are good to go!

They only issued me a license for 1 year- then I can come back to the DMV with the 10 y green card to get another.

We also just moved from another state...

Good Luck!

Edited by Joanna&Bobby

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 7th (check cashed)

Touch- July 8th

Biometrics notice received- July 14th (notice date- July 9th)

Biometrics Appointment- July 25th

Touch- July 25th

RFE e-mail notice- July 28th

RFE response sent- September 9th

RFE response received by USCIS and case processing resumed- September 12th

AOS Touch- September 18th

Transfer to CSC- September 26th

AOS Touch-September 29th

Received Transfer Letter in mail- October 2nd

AOS Touch- case pending at the office to which it was transferred- October 3rd

AOS Touch- October 6th

EAD Touch- October 29- CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED-yippeeeeeeeeee! I can get a drivers license

EAD Touch- November 3rd- Approval notice sent (JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ RIGHT AFTER I WROTE THIS MY EAD CARD CAME IN MAIL!!!!!! I mean the Mailman brought it HOW WEIRD IS THAT???????????)

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Removing Conditions 12/16/2010- Application sent by certified mail

Approved 3/07/2011

A little bit off topic, but just wondering..

They only issued me a license for 1 year- then I can come back to the DMV with the 10 y green card to get another.

Shouldn't they give you a 2 year driver license with the 2 year GC instead in that case? I mean, not that I have received a 2 year license, mine is valid until my birthday in 2016 (received the license in 2008 or 2009 (not sure exactly lol)), so I have a few more years lol but just wondering why they did give a 1 year license in this case but no 2 year license with a 2 year card...

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Shouldn't they give you a 2 year driver license with the 2 year GC instead in that case? I mean, not that I have received a 2 year license, mine is valid until my birthday in 2016 (received the license in 2008 or 2009 (not sure exactly lol)), so I have a few more years lol but just wondering why they did give a 1 year license in this case but no 2 year license with a 2 year card...

Driver licenses are issued by individual states. Each state has its own rule. Don't expect the driver license rules for California to be the same for another state.

J&M--I found that odd too. We were also given a 10 year license with the 2 yr green card. I think it must be due to the weirdness of submitting the 1-year extension NOA. They probably pay more attention to the details in these cases, and I bet technically should only issue the 1 year license because there's no guarantee that anyone's I-751 will be approved.

Filed: Other Timeline

The NOA1 unexpires the expiration of the expired card. Thus, it's not really an expired card anymore.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Driver licenses are issued by individual states. Each state has its own rule. Don't expect the driver license rules for California to be the same for another state.

I know they have their own rules, but I figured there was at least some common ground regarding the driver licenses... but I guess not (see below)

J&M--I found that odd too. We were also given a 10 year license with the 2 yr green card. I think it must be due to the weirdness of submitting the 1-year extension NOA. They probably pay more attention to the details in these cases, and I bet technically should only issue the 1 year license because there's no guarantee that anyone's I-751 will be approved.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought as well but..

this info I just found on a DMV site (the non-official dmv.org) for D.C. (which is where their local office is):

If you're a U.S. citizen, your driver's license is valid for eight years. But if you're a non-citizen, your license's expiration date is contingent upon the expiration date for your immigration documents.

Kinda odd imho but oh well =)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Timeline

It all varies by state...That is what they told me.

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 8th

Touch- July 25th

AOS Touch-September 29th

AOS Touch- October 6th

EAD Touch- October 29- CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED-yippeeeeeeeeee! I can get a drivers license

EAD Touch- November 3rd- Approval notice sent (JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ RIGHT AFTER I WROTE THIS MY EAD CARD CAME IN MAIL!!!!!! I mean the Mailman brought it HOW WEIRD IS THAT???????????)

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Approved 3/07/2011

Timeline

Just wanted to add to my last reply. My new license expires exactlty a year from the expiration date on my green card- becaus the NOA letter says "your status has been extended for a year"... This is what DMV goes by. I live in NEVADA. This was actually the second time I had to g oto the DMV in 2 months... I had 30 days since moving to NEVADA to switch my PA license to a NV license. This was in November. My GC expiration date was JAN 21 2011. They issued a license with a Jan 21 2011 expiration date, and told me to come back when I receive the NOA letter from USCIS. Then they will issue a 1 year license. This is exactly what they do... A little pain in the butt for an imigrant to have to go to the DMV as many times as I have already been there, plus the $22 they charged me twice in the last 2 months... But oh well... You can't change what you can't change.

Edited by Joanna&Bobby

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 8th

Touch- July 25th

AOS Touch-September 29th

AOS Touch- October 6th

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Approved 3/07/2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

The problem is that many of the DMV clerks are ignorant when it comes to immigration. SO incase (s)he gives you a hard time accepting the extension letter in lieu of the expired plastic card, ask him/her to see the supervisor.

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.