Amy and Brian

A little later than promised... my experience in Montreal!

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, the big event. Let me ramble a bit and hope the details all come through clear enough :)

At 6:35pm on the 14th, I took a VIA Rail train out of Union Station in Toronto and started on my way. Five and a half hours later I'm in Montreal, a place I had not seen since the last time I moved to the states. I took a cab to my hotel... which turned out to be less than 1km away. But it was late and dark so I suppose it was wort the 6 bucks :P I was staying at La Tour Centre-Ville, which the VJ Embassy/Consulate Info page for Montreal will tell you is right across the street from the consulate, and let me tell you... it really is! Well, kind of diagonally across the street, but still just across all the same :) The hotel is nice enough... an apartment building converted into hotel rooms... but I really didn't spend enough time there to go into more detail than that. I checked in at just after midnight and checked back out again at noon.

The next morning I was up and making a pot of coffee around 6:30am. Making sure everything was in order and drinking a cup of coffee took longer than I'd anticipated and I didn't head over to the consulate until close to 7:30... about 20 minutes later than I'd planned. Still, I arrived outside the doors to find only three people ahead of me, so it wasn't so bad. About five minutes later a security guard opened the doors for us and asked me to stand in a different line from the three others. I thought at first this was because they weren't their for interviews, but later on upstairs they pretty much followed the same routine as I did, so I'm really not sure what the separate line was about. Anyway, I went through security which was quick and smooth... the officers were extremely nice and called me ma'am... something that has not happened since I lived in Texas! After I was cleared and had been given a little plastic card with a big letter "C" and "Window #9" written on it, they sent me downstairs to wait by the elevator. I was tempted to stand up and wander near the elevator to see if the mysterious voice would come over the P.A. and ask me to sit down... but I resisted that urge :D Around five minutes later another security officer came and took the four of us up in the elevator and pointed us in the right director for our window (#9). I stood right in front of the window, and felt kind of silly doing so because the other three sat down, but I kept thinking about how I'd read a lot of people on here say "stand at the window, someone will come!" and so I did. Eventually, yes, someone came, but there really was no reason for me to stay standing because the little letter I'd been given downstairs seemed to be what determined my position in line, rather than when I turned in my letter at this window. Speaking of which, that's all that happened at Window #9: the lady behind the glass asked for my interview letter and my little plastic card with "C" on it. Then she told us to go sit in the big waiting room until someone called our name.

So I sat, waited, and wished I'd brought a book like the person in front of me. The wait wasn't too terrible though. They started calling names just after 8:00am. I was called to Window #12 around 8:20 (or maybe 8:30... I should have taken notes!) and there another lady gave me a half sheet of paper, told me to take it to the cashier at window #14, and then to come right back. So I did and waved good-bye to my $100 US :) The cashier attached my receipt to the half sheet of paper and gave it back to me. And back to window #12 I went! There the same lady took the receipt/half sheet back and then proceeded to ask for all my paperwork: My passport, pictures, medical results (during which she informed me that they did not need my x-ray and that it was good for five or six years so I should give it to my doctor once I find one in the states), birth certificate + one copy, my police certificate (and told me "no" when I asked if she wanted a copy as well as the original), the new letter of intent from Brian (and said no again about the copy), the I-134 (and still didn't want a copy, just originals!), my xpresspost envelope (and she asked me if I'd filled it out and made note of my tracking number, which thankfully I had!), my DS-156K (again, she didn't want a copy). She also attached my pictures to my forms and then whited out my signature/date from the DS-156s that I'd previously mailed in and asked me to sign them again in front of her. Then she asked me about my previous green card. She wanted to know what I'd done with it... and this is where I did the stupidest thing ever that had me panicking right up until the interview! See, I still have my old green card. It's useless, but I never got rid of it... it's in a file somewhere in a box in the back of a closet. I'd meant to bring it with me to the interview, but I forgot it! I didn't realise I'd forgotten it until she asked about it! And then the stupidity: instead of saying "I still have it but I forgot to bring it with me" ... for some idiotic reason the words "I destroyed it" came out of my mouth. I think I must have panicked at the thought that maybe not having it with me would delay things... I wish I could have stopped myself from doing that! Anyway, she didn't seem overly pleased with this statement. She repeated my words back to me as a question, to which I blurted out "I was only 19 when I came back to Canada and I didn't know what I was supposed to do with it". And I guess that satisfied her because she made a little note on my paperwork and didn't say anything else. But I was still scared I'd just screwed up!

After that little hitch, the lady then asked me to take a seat while she turned in my paperwork and said she'd be back to take my fingerprints. So I sat... waited... and watched two other people get their fingerprints taken, and then it was my turn. I go back up to the window and the lady says "Is your father William Franklin Harvey?" to which I reply "yes". Then she says, "Oh, I have his case here in front of me." With no other explanation at all, which was kind of odd. My only guess is that she pulled up his old case to see if I was mentioned at all (for those who don't know, my father went through this lovely process when I was 16 because my step-mother is from Texas. I moved with him, but did not go through the usual K-2 process, I was paroled into the country instead.). Then she took my fingerprints and said to go back to the waiting room and wait for my name to be called again.

So I sat down again and waited... and looked out at the skyline (you can see the Biodome from up there!). And I watched as the three people from before me in line were called to the interview room. Then, around 9:30, over the P.A. system comes a man saying "Amy Harvey, door number 8 please". For one brief second I had this image of a game show and someone asking me to guess what was behind door number 8! :D Anyway, I went in and found myself in a tiny square of a room with a window separating me from the consular officer. He was an older gentleman who seemed very pleasant and was nowhere near as intimidating as his voice was over the P.A. system! He asked me how I was doing and then told me he was going to verify my fingerprints and asked me to place my left thumb on a little digital reader. Once that was done, I took the oath swearing that everything I was about to say was true and so forth. He then proceeded to fiddle around with an elastic band that was attached to a paper clip for a couple minutes... attempting to get the elastic off the paperclip. He muttered something like "more trouble than it's worth" and then broke the elastic, used the paperclip to attach my receipt to my original birth certificate, and then handed those back to me through the slot under the window. It was rather amusing and by that point I was 100% relaxed, even despite previous worries over what I'd said about my green card. He gave me my DS-156K and asked me to sign it. Then he flipped through my paperwork and asked me a few questions such as "how did you meet?" "What does your fiance do for a living?" "What do you do for a living?" and "What are you plans for the wedding?". Then he flipped through the paperwork again, stopping at my police certificate and says "Well, the law says you're not a criminal", then he flips to my medical and says "and the doctors say you're healthy", then flips to Brian's letter of intent and says "And your fiance still wants to marry you!" To which I just say "I'm glad" :). Then he says "you've been in the states before!" and I told him that I'd moved there with my father. He asked how my father ended up there and kind of laughed when he realised my dad went through the same thing. And that was it! He didn't mention my old green card at all, much to my relief! And then he said "Well, everything here is in order so we're going to approve this for you" and told me it could be up to 10 days before I receive the visa in the mail. I say thank you very much and leave! I glance at the clock on my way out and it's just after 9:45am.

All I can really say for those of you heading to Montreal yourselves in the coming months is: you're in for a treat! :D Compared to the rest of this journey, the interview really is the best part! Also: try to think before you say things! Save yourself some panic and don't blurt out things like "I destroyed my green card" if you really didn't! I am so lucky that it didn't come back to haunt me!

And, as a last bit of good news, I checked the Canada Post website and Montreal sent my visa out in the mail this morning! That was FAST! :D

08/15/2007 - K-1 Visa approved
09/01/2007 - Moved to Ohio

11/24/2007 - Married!
03/31/2008 - Received Green Card
05/03/2010 - Conditions removed

Finally applying for citizenship!

01/19/2016 - Filed N-400
01/25/2016 - NOA
02/17/2016 - Biometrics appointment
02/26/2016 - Receieved interview letter
04/01/2016 - Naturalization interview

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to remember all of these things... New fiance letter of intent, Xpress post envelope - write down the tracking number, etc... I am mostly nervous about FINDING the consulate right now, lol. I've been in Montreal before and can take a bus there, but from the bus terminal am not sure how to get there and am a bit nervous about trying to find the way from there, or from a friend's house I might stay at overnight. Heh. Maybe I'll just take a cab or something!

Edited by Melyssa

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That was a great recap...sounds like yours went just about as smoothly as mine! Congrats! You'll LOVE the way the Visa looks in your passport :)

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Then she asked me about my previous green card. She wanted to know what I'd done with it... and this is where I did the stupidest thing ever that had me panicking right up until the interview! See, I still have my old green card. It's useless, but I never got rid of it... it's in a file somewhere in a box in the back of a closet. I'd meant to bring it with me to the interview, but I forgot it! I didn't realise I'd forgotten it until she asked about it! And then the stupidity: instead of saying "I still have it but I forgot to bring it with me" ... for some idiotic reason the words "I destroyed it" came out of my mouth. I think I must have panicked at the thought that maybe not having it with me would delay things... I wish I could have stopped myself from doing that! Anyway, she didn't seem overly pleased with this statement. She repeated my words back to me as a question, to which I blurted out "I was only 19 when I came back to Canada and I didn't know what I was supposed to do with it". And I guess that satisfied her because she made a little note on my paperwork and didn't say anything else. But I was still scared I'd just screwed up!

Great review!! This bit made me laugh as I had an R-1 visa before in the US, and had been assigned a SSN card during that process. I actually about a year before had shredded my SSN card thinking - i'll never have use for it again!! I was thinking about that too when I went to Montreal.. and flipping out cause i didn't even know what number my SSN used to be!! It all worked out in the end, and I have a replacement card now, but stuff like that really does stress you out at the time!! :thumbs:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Nice post, thanks for sharing and congratulations on the approval. :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am happy that you had a good trip and experience at the consulate, mine was very much like yours, it would seem that you met Debbie, the lady that put everything together with you. She is one consular official I will never forget because of a notation she made in my file. Can I ask you a question? Do you think that alcohol could be smelled off a persons breath on the other side of that window. Debbie said she could when I was there, she must have one good nose to smell back that many years. The second person I saw was a younger male about early to mid 30s.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

great review congratulations

Melyssa what bus terminal are you getting off at in Montreal ( I might be able to help you take the metro/subway to the consulate office )

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline
Then she asked me about my previous green card. She wanted to know what I'd done with it... and this is where I did the stupidest thing ever that had me panicking right up until the interview! See, I still have my old green card. It's useless, but I never got rid of it... it's in a file somewhere in a box in the back of a closet. I'd meant to bring it with me to the interview, but I forgot it! I didn't realise I'd forgotten it until she asked about it! And then the stupidity: instead of saying "I still have it but I forgot to bring it with me" ... for some idiotic reason the words "I destroyed it" came out of my mouth. I think I must have panicked at the thought that maybe not having it with me would delay things... I wish I could have stopped myself from doing that! Anyway, she didn't seem overly pleased with this statement. She repeated my words back to me as a question, to which I blurted out "I was only 19 when I came back to Canada and I didn't know what I was supposed to do with it". And I guess that satisfied her because she made a little note on my paperwork and didn't say anything else. But I was still scared I'd just screwed up!

Great review!! This bit made me laugh as I had an R-1 visa before in the US, and had been assigned a SSN card during that process. I actually about a year before had shredded my SSN card thinking - i'll never have use for it again!! I was thinking about that too when I went to Montreal.. and flipping out cause i didn't even know what number my SSN used to be!! It all worked out in the end, and I have a replacement card now, but stuff like that really does stress you out at the time!! :thumbs:

I lived in Texas when I was a teenager, and I didn't even realize that my parents had kept my SS card on hand! It made it incredibly easy when I went to the SS office after I moved down in March...it really was only a name change on an existing card, instead of trying to get a brand new one on a K1 visa. I was thankful for that, given the problems that K1 holders have with getting a SSN!

Amy, I don't know if you still have your SSN or not from when you lived in TX, but it might be a good idea to have it on hand!

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

Filed: Timeline

Great post, Amy. You made me laugh. It's funny how some things come out of your mouth when you hadn't even planned it. It's like someone completely different is taking over while you stand there in surprise. :lol:

Wow. Can't believe it's now 7-10 days to receive your visa. I got mine that same day.

That's funny about the taxi ride to the hotel. I had a flight booked for a business trip to Montreal just a few days after 9/11. I cancelled the flight and took the train instead. My hotel was at the Sheraton just a stone's throw from the train station, but I did the same thing.... took a taxi not knowing it was down the street. LOL. Too funny.

Congratulations!

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Amy, that was great! I'm taking the train and staying at the same place. You didn't check out till noon? I feel alittle better now :wacko::lol:

Amy, I don't know if you still have your SSN or not from when you lived in TX, but it might be a good idea to have it on hand!

Shh, she probably "destroyed" that too :whistle:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: Timeline
I am happy that you had a good trip and experience at the consulate, mine was very much like yours, it would seem that you met Debbie, the lady that put everything together with you. She is one consular official I will never forget because of a notation she made in my file. Can I ask you a question? Do you think that alcohol could be smelled off a persons breath on the other side of that window. Debbie said she could when I was there, she must have one good nose to smell back that many years. The second person I saw was a younger male about early to mid 30s.

Ron, are you saying that the consular officer actually said she could smell alcolhol on your breath?!!!!! Unbelievable. I'd be fuming.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I lived in Texas when I was a teenager, and I didn't even realize that my parents had kept my SS card on hand! It made it incredibly easy when I went to the SS office after I moved down in March...it really was only a name change on an existing card, instead of trying to get a brand new one on a K1 visa. I was thankful for that, given the problems that K1 holders have with getting a SSN!

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Amy forgot to ask. My letter also says something about buying the envelope there. Did they offer you that option?

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.