h&at

K1 Visa + Complicated Situation (Chile)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi, 

My foreign fiance (beneficiary) and I would like to start the K1 visa process and submit the I129F petition. Last year, my fiance received a job offer from Chile to work as a teacher. Because getting a work visa through the Chilean embassy from his country of origin is a long drawn out process, the school told him  to apply for a tourist visa, and upon his arrival, they will help him switch it to a work visa which doesn't take much time.

This is something totally legal, and it is something a lot of westerners who wish to travel abroad and start working immediately do. However, my fiance is not a westerner, he is a Moroccan citizen. Therefore, I am not sure if at the K1 interview, he will be scrutinized for going this route to work in Chile. I am afraid that during our  interview at the American embassy in Chile, the CO would see this as a red flag, perceive him in a negative manner, or base their judgement on how he managed to work (legally) in Chile as opposed to our relationship.

Is this a legitimate concern, or are we overthinking this? Will this be relevant or consequential to obtain a K1 visa at the embassy during the interview?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

They may be concerned that he just wants to get out of Morocco however possible. Did you meet him when he was in Morocco or when he's been in Chile? Have you spent a lot of time together? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cruise77 said:

You are overthinking this, the CO is not even going to bat an eye.   What they will be interested in is what his background was like in Morocco. 

He has a clean background so this is something I am not worried about. 

1 hour ago, EandH0904 said:

They may be concerned that he just wants to get out of Morocco however possible. Did you meet him when he was in Morocco or when he's been in Chile? Have you spent a lot of time together? 

I met him when he was still in Morocco. I traveled twice to Morocco to go see him and I met his family. We then traveled to Canada together after he got his Canadian tourist visa to attend his brother's wedding in Toronto. We then finally traveled together from Toronto to Chile and I stayed with him in Chile for 2 weeks to help him settle in his new apartment and just be there for him while he's transitioning to his new life.

He's always told me how he wasn't happy in Morocco and how he always wanted to experience South America. I told him he should always follow his heart and do what makes him happy, and that's exactly what he did. I am just concerned how the COs at the K1 interview might perceive him. I mean, technically he did lie in his tourist visa interview for Chile by mentioning that he is going there strictly for tourism. That is obviously not the case as he is now working there on a work visa that was transferred from the tourist visa. I'm just worried if they might ask about this or bring this up. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I wouldn;t worry about this; even illegal stays in other countries are often overlooked, and what he did was legal.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.