bloopygirl

Newbies to the US from Canada: Anyone else having trouble adjusting?

410 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved to the US in October... and it seems like everything is just going wrong! Is anyone else feeling the same way? I'd love to talk to some other Canadians.

My AOS is messed up, missing my family, problems with health care. aka I just got an unexpected medical bill in the mail for 2 grand... can't work yet, haven't made any friends.. And a million other things have gone wrong lately of a more personal nature.

Not to mention, I miss Tim Horton's so much! Ketchup chips! Hickory sticks! Driving here scares me because the roads are so busy. And people constantly make fun of my accent <_< It took ten months to get my visa and I thought we were so prepared... HAHA, no. I think I miss OHIP most of all. People here don't eat fish and chips.. they don't know what coffee crisp is.. and they do rock, paper, scissors differently. I feel like I am learning something new and totally unexpected about American life every day, and my whole life people have told me our countries are so similar. I miss sidewalks and bus service, too! And being able to actually walk places!

Can anyone relate?

4/21/2016 - Got green card! :) No immigration worries til 2018!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I cried every day for 2 weeks when I first moved here. It does get better. It didn't help that I moved to the Deep South where everyone's accent is SO different than mine. For example I teach and I said "OK guys, text books out to page 10". Only the boys got their books out. I asked a girl and she said "you said 'guys', if you want us all to do it you have to say y'all".

I miss Canadian stuff a lot, but you do get used to it. Friends come when you get involved with stuff or start working. Where did you move to?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I cried every day for 2 weeks when I first moved here. It does get better. It didn't help that I moved to the Deep South where everyone's accent is SO different than mine. For example I teach and I said "OK guys, text books out to page 10". Only the boys got their books out. I asked a girl and she said "you said 'guys', if you want us all to do it you have to say y'all".

I miss Canadian stuff a lot, but you do get used to it. Friends come when you get involved with stuff or start working. Where did you move to?

Wow, that is a funny anecdote lol. Did you start saying y'all?

I moved to New Jersey. People here are so different. I feel like everybody is being rude all the time but they just talk differently than us. It's hard.

I don't know if I will be working at all because now I'm pregnant. We live in a suburb where everybody is like 50-60 years old, and I'm in my early 20s, so there's not really anybody I can make friends with here. I'm a bit of a loner anyway but it gets lonely without my family. It's only been a few months so I'm trying to stay positive but it is still hard.

Timeline

There was so many times I wanted to go back to Canada. I complained about everything and I mean everything. I started feeling better about 7-8 months later when the kids made friends. I homeschooled them since the schools are so messed up here. The spiders and snakes completely freak me out everything is poisonous it seems like and they are huge!!

I really didn't feel normal or like this was home till like the 2 year mark. Then I got pregnant and then more and more I felt like home.

As for accents man I still have a hard time, that southern drawl can be nuts at times. I sure haven't seen the southern hospitality like you hear about. Plus I refuse to say certain things like y'all, and uh huh instead of yes or your welcome. Now that my older 4 are doing really well College and University I don't think I would move back to Canada. Plus I love he short winters and hot summers. I keep telling ppl I still haven't warmed up :)

Get on here a lot and complain it helps to get it off your chest.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Aw thanks Ontarkie, you are so sweet. I'm glad to hear you settled in eventually. I'm pregnant with our first and we are planning on homeschooling too!

There aren't any giant bugs or anything here but they do have "stink bugs..." Those are new for me, and they are gross.

It mostly upsets me how messed up the health care is in this country.. I can't believe how expensive things are, they are really taking everyone for a ride.

My fiancé is in The Natinal Guard and his health care and mine and if we have any children is paid for with the little bit of money they give you monthly. Maybe if your husbands are into that it could be something to look into but I realize other jobs can get in the way. I'm packing all my stuff and I still cry about it I haven't even left yet so I'm nervous. His family is really big though and I've made a few friends from visiting a lot so hopefully it won't be to hard. I am also starting dental hygiene in the fall so that's good too !!

Nervous fellow Canadian.

Hold onto your hat its going to be a bumpy ride!!

but don't worry you'll get through it :luv:

Timeline

Oh yes I completely agree with the health care. My youngest now 22 month spent a week in the hospital back in Oct. They ran every test known to man, x-ray, ultrasounds, cat scans, 2 mri's, blood work, spinal tap. Long story short he developed Guillian Barre's and they had to rule out everything from fractures to stroke. Then the treatments and now still therapy.

The last statements added up to about 80k. Now thank ggod that is not what we will end up with but we have a high deductible so we still don't know what our bill is.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Wow, that is a funny anecdote lol. Did you start saying y'all?

I moved to New Jersey. People here are so different. I feel like everybody is being rude all the time but they just talk differently than us. It's hard.

I don't know if I will be working at all because now I'm pregnant. We live in a suburb where everybody is like 50-60 years old, and I'm in my early 20s, so there's not really anybody I can make friends with here. I'm a bit of a loner anyway but it gets lonely without my family. It's only been a few months so I'm trying to stay positive but it is still hard.

I did start saying y'all, its hard not to. I do maintain as many Canadianisms as I can. The first woman I met was my neighbour who invited me over, served me tea - in a glass, with ice, a spoon and a bowl of sugar. So strange!

Don't discount the 50-60 year olds, one of my good friends down here is 53 and we get along famously!

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I'm sick of people making fun of my accent as soon as they learn I'm Canadian. Funny how they didn't make fun of it before they found out I was Canadian... maybe because I don't have one?!?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did start saying y'all, its hard not to. I do maintain as many Canadianisms as I can. The first woman I met was my neighbour who invited me over, served me tea - in a glass, with ice, a spoon and a bowl of sugar. So strange!

Don't discount the 50-60 year olds, one of my good friends down here is 53 and we get along famously!

good luck

K1 filed September 4, 2015

K1 Issued Feb 25, 2016

Entered the US June 3, 2016

Married June 13, 2016

AOS filed June 28, 2016

Paperwork received June 29, 2016

NOA dated July 11, 2016 for 485, 131, 765

RFIE mailed August 13, 2016

RFIE sent express August 22, 2016 ***Make sure you all use the latest forms from USCIS or RFIE***

RFIE accepted August 24, 2016

EAD Card is being produced September 13, 2016

Green Card is being produced November 17, 2016

AOS Approved November 18, 2016

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10766;472/st/20160711/e/NOA+1/k/25e6/event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

good luck

K1 filed September 4, 2015

K1 Issued Feb 25, 2016

Entered the US June 3, 2016

Married June 13, 2016

AOS filed June 28, 2016

Paperwork received June 29, 2016

NOA dated July 11, 2016 for 485, 131, 765

RFIE mailed August 13, 2016

RFIE sent express August 22, 2016 ***Make sure you all use the latest forms from USCIS or RFIE***

RFIE accepted August 24, 2016

EAD Card is being produced September 13, 2016

Green Card is being produced November 17, 2016

AOS Approved November 18, 2016

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10766;472/st/20160711/e/NOA+1/k/25e6/event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's funny I've been here for almost 20 years and I still from time to time have people joke about me being from Canada, but then they say how I never have a Canadian accent. I laugh because when living in Canada everyone thought I had an American accent. Guess it was just meant to be. I adapted pretty quick because I was always spending my free time in the US visiting friends and travelling so when I moved for a job, I was happier than hell and adapted quickly.

For those that aren't like the original poster, you can see if there are any meetups in your area. Another group is Internations that you can join where it's an expat community and if you're in a decent sized city or close to one, they have get togethers once a month usually and you might even meet a few other Canadians in it as well and that can help you get adjusted or at least learn from their experiences of how they adapted and how they over came things that Canada does different compared to down here, etc...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never been a huge Tim Hortons fan, but ketchup chips and all-dressed Ruffles, oh man!

I've only been here for about 3 days, so I'm sure I'll get some homesickness eventually. I've spent a lot of time here before (nearly a year, broken up in various visits) and know most of my fiancee's friends, but I'm sure it will be different this time because it's permanent. I think it's ok to feel homesick once in a while and to vent about the things you miss, especially on VJ! I'm sure things will sort themselves out soon enough, right now things are stressful because all of these changes are coming at once!

Have you thought about enrolling in prenatal classes, or even prenatal yoga, prenatal water aerobics, things like that? I would think it would be a good place to connect with other moms-to-be in your area and make new friends who are close to your age. Just a thought!

K1 Visa timeline: Application sent to Visa in hand: 10 months and 4 days (Texas Service Center)

02/26/2015: I-129F Application mailed to Texas lockbox

03/05/2015: NOA1 email notification

08/27/2015: NOA2! (176 days)

09/02/2015: Sent to NVC

09/14/2015: Called NVC and obtained MTL case number

09/18/2015: In Transit to MTL consulate

09/21/2015: Consulate received our file (24 days post-NOA2)

09/24/2015: Sent Packet 3 (unprompted, but CEAC status had updated a second time)

09/29/2015: Packet 4 received, interview scheduled. Still haven't received Packet 3, I advise not to wait for it!

10/09/2015: Received Packet 3 in the mail!

11/09/2015: Medical

12/16/2015: K1 Interview in Montreal (111 days from NOA2, 293 days total): Approved!

12/18/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant Ready

12/21/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant AP

12/24/2015: CEAC status changed to ISSUED! Merry Christmas!!

12/30/2015: Visa in hand

01/15/2016: POE @ Houlton, ME

01/22/2016: Married! (L)

AOS timeline: Application sent to card in hand: 6 months and 7 days.

01/25/2016: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP applications to Chicago via UPS

01/29/2016: NOA1 email notification x3

02/04/2016: Received NOA1 hard copies x3

02/29/2016: Still haven't received biometrics letter, Filed service request

03/30/2016: After more calls to Tier 2 and 2 service requests, letter still not received, USCIS said no appointment has been scheduled. Reached out to Congressman.

04/06/2016: Biometrics letter finally received thanks to Congressman's inquiry (Appointment scheduled 04/18/2016).

04/18/2016: Biometrics appointment

04/25/2016: Officially outside processing times for EAD/AP. Scheduled Infopass appointment for 05/10.

05/21/2016: Finally received email notice that EAD was approved on 05/19 after numerous service requests, infopass appt and ombudsman inquiry

05/23/2016: Received hard-copy letter notifying me that my AP was approved on the same day as my EAD. No hard-copy for EAD yet.

05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP Combo Card (122 days since filing).

06/21/2016: Received email notification of AOS interview (Appointment scheduled 07/21/2016)

07/21/2016: AOS interview. Approved, but file was missing medical. Local office can't issue GC until they receive medical from DOS.

07/25/2016: USCIS case status changed to New Card Is Being Produced!

08/01/2016: Green card in hand. ROC window opens Apr 29, 2018.

I have lived in the US since high school with a few years back and forth. The hardest thing I struggle with is living in a VERY small, conservative town and I am VERY liberal. Everyone asks where we go to church and what religion we are, not that it is any of their business but they ask anyway. I use to find myself holding back my beliefs and opinions but I don't anymore.

I still am quite isolated- my best friend here is my mother in law. It gets better!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm glad to hear others have similar feelings as me. I didn't think it would be an issue moving to the US - as I had lived here before with little issue (albeit I did kinda live in a bubble being here on various exchange and J-1 camp counsellor experiences). Regardless I felt that moving 7 hours away from home in Eastern Ontario to Northern New Jersey wouldn't be a big deal but I am struggling trying to find a way to be more comfortable here. Yes driving scares me in NJ too! There is a bit of culture shock for me, dealing with less friendly people and a more urban environment.

I've only been here a few weeks, so I know I really have to give it some time. I'm hoping once I get a job that things will be better. I can't imagine what this would be like for someone moving across the world or someone who doesn't speak english.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.