POA

Pros and Cons of getting a name change

8 posts in this topic

Hello again guys!

It's been a while since I posted. I am far from getting my citizenship here and having my name change but I would like to understand it more before I make any changes. My two first names has been giving me issues since the day I got here which was last year. So I am really considering changing it to the US format once I can. I am planning to get a dual citizenship once eligible.

A little background. I got married in the Ph and followed the PH format after getting married. Which is having my maiden name as my middle name after marriage.

My questions are:

1. If my PH name is Ana Marie (first names), Santos (middle name), Smith (last name) , due to marriage and change it to Ana (first name), Marie (middle name), Smith (last name), how does that affect my identity in the PH? I still have my PH benefits that I continue to contribute even I'm already here.

2. Can I still renew my PH passport with my original name once I am already a dual citizen?

3. Can I have two different names for my US and PH passport? (this is all in the future)

4. What are the pros and cons of having two names if that is even possible?

Thanks in advance guys!

POA, on 01 Feb 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Hello again guys!

It's been a while since I posted. I am far from getting my citizenship here and having my name change but I would like to understand it more before I make any changes. My two first names has been giving me issues since the day I got here which was last year. So I am really considering changing it to the US format once I can. I am planning to get a dual citizenship once eligible.

A little background. I got married in the Ph and followed the PH format after getting married. Which is having my maiden name as my middle name after marriage.

My questions are:

1. If my PH name is Ana Marie (first names), Santos (middle name), Smith (last name) , due to marriage and change it to Ana (first name), Marie (middle name), Smith (last name), how does that affect my identity in the PH? I still have my PH benefits that I continue to contribute even I'm already here. Don't know what you mean by "PH Benefits" but ok. If you travel you must choose which "naming" you will use for your tickets as they need to match your passport. That's the first obstacle.

2. Can I still renew my PH passport with my original name once I am already a dual citizen? Yes you can and that is the PH preferred way.

3. Can I have two different names for my US and PH passport? (this is all in the future) Yes but I am still a little confused why you want to go through this hassle. What is gained?

4. What are the pros and cons of having two names if that is even possible? Everything you do that requires an ID for any transactions in the US you will have to use your "US ID". Same for the PH. So your switching back and forth.

My wife does not have two first names but my stepchildren do. Everything we do in relation to naming we use the PH naming both for PH documents and US documents. My children use the name they are most comfortable with as a single usage. I.E. Filmer Joshua on id's but because he wants to be called Joshua that is what we call him, but all his ID's say - Filmer Joshua, Mothers Maiden Name, His birth last name - and he has no issues with the naming process and we have yet to run into any problems.

Thanks in advance guys!

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Thanks for the quick response Greenbaum!

I actually don't want to go through this as much as possible but i have been having issues with my 2 first names, opening an account, credit history, back ground check.

Though I was already able to open a bank account and got a job and pass a background check. Now my name still shows incorrect. I already called transunion to correct my name, and they said they corrected it the format I have in all my documents which is my PH name and I am just gonna be also known as the wrong name they have I.E. Ana (first name) M. (Middle initial), Smith (Last name). Now I just got another mail with credit card offer and said base on my credit history i am pre-approved and still has my incorrect name. (I am not trying to apply a card). But it worries me to see my incorrect name even after calling everyone to correct it.

What I meant for PH benefits are my SSS and Pagibig contribution that I still make.

That would be a big obstacle to choose which name to use when travelling. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Edited by POA

By the way, this is just base on my experience. If your stepkids have two first names, double check it with SSA how are their names appears in the system. I had to go back and forth SSA and USCIS since they put my name Ana (first name), Marie (middle name), Santos Smith for the last name. Sometimes they even put it Ana, Marie-Santos, Smith.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello again guys!

My questions are:

1. If my PH name is Ana Marie (first names), Santos (middle name), Smith (last name) , due to marriage and change it to Ana (first name), Marie (middle name), Smith (last name), how does that affect my identity in the PH? I still have my PH benefits that I continue to contribute even I'm already here.

2. Can I still renew my PH passport with my original name once I am already a dual citizen?

3. Can I have two different names for my US and PH passport? (this is all in the future)

4. What are the pros and cons of having two names if that is even possible?

Thanks in advance guys!

Interesting question. The form for dual citizenship does ask if you are using a different name, just not sure if they would accept a non-traditional name format.

http://www.philippinesusa.org/uploads/pdfs/Dual%20Citizenship.pdf

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Interesting question. The form for dual citizenship does ask if you are using a different name, just not sure if they would accept a non-traditional name format.

http://www.philippinesusa.org/uploads/pdfs/Dual%20Citizenship.pdf

You're right they do. I haven't checked that form before. I feel like I have to choose, a hassle here or a hassle in the PH because of my name. For some reason, I feel like I am the only one having this issue. My name is even an english name with very simple spelling and very common but my two first names are causing the confusion in the US.

By the way, this is just base on my experience. If your stepkids have two first names, double check it with SSA how are their names appears in the system. I had to go back and forth SSA and USCIS since they put my name Ana (first name), Marie (middle name), Santos Smith for the last name. Sometimes they even put it Ana, Marie-Santos, Smith.

I think the issue here is that government agencies are not properly entering your name in the proper format. Here in US most are familiar with a hyphenated last name because it's common here that women take the husbands name hyphenated with theirs. They are not used to seeing two first names.

When we began applying for ids and important documents I always asked to see the agents/clerks entry in their system before they finished out the form. This insured that we were not causing the headaches that you are experiencing. Go back and get your names corrected. You deserve to have your name accurate. Good luck.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

That's really nice that you had the chance to see it for yourself when you applied for them. My ssc was just sent in the mail with some missing letters and when i went to correct it they had to verifiwit from dhs so i didn't get to see what they put. My bank however rrepeatedly it's all good when i kept telling them about my two first names. Then they had me call transunion and repeatedly asked them what is my first name, mid and last and got it right. But the credit cards offfers in the mail still shows my incorrect name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.