jons_wifey

mail redirection of green card for parents

27 posts in this topic

My parents GC interview is this Friday at the US Embassy in London, UK.

If they get approved, will they receive their GC in the mail and if so, can they ask for it to be redelivered to me (in Texas), the following day they will be on vacation in Canada until December. Or can they request for their GC to be mailed to the address they will be staying at in Toronto, Canada?

Also, does anyone have any information on them activating their permanent residency status...they will not enter the US until April 2015.

They won't receive a their green cards until they are in the US. They will use the visa stamp in their passports to enter. Their passports will be kept by the embassy and sent back via courier with the visa attached. I guess this might cause a problem for travelling to Canada.

Unless things have changed recently, the visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical so it will need to be activated before April.

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

My parents GC interview is this Friday at the US Embassy in London, UK.

If they get approved, will they receive their GC in the mail and if so, can they ask for it to be redelivered to me (in Texas), the following day they will be on vacation in Canada until December. Or can they request for their GC to be mailed to the address they will be staying at in Toronto, Canada?

Also, does anyone have any information on them activating their permanent residency status...they will not enter the US until April 2015.

Agree with above. They are interviewing for a VISA. They will. not leave the embassy with their passport because it will be retained in order to finish paperwprk, then print visa, and affix to passport page. A UK courier company delivers the passport to them in about 1-2 weeks, usually on the low end of that estimate.

The visa will expire 6 months from the date of their medical exam. They need to enter the US before that date.

The trip to Canada does not work for the day after interview.

Mailing the visa to the US or Canada doesn't work.

Waiting to enter the US until April doesn't work.

Cancelling the interview and requesting postponement until an April visa interview does work. They will need the medical re-done because some of it will expire 6 months from the original date.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Only if they will legally reside there, not if they are just visiting. Best thing to do is delay the interview. Or they can delay the trip to Canada for a few weeks and come by way of the US. Once they pass through immigration at the US POE (not just change planes) their passports will be stamped and the green card production started (takes about a month for the card). Then they can proceed to Canada.

Edited by belinda63

ok, can they choose to be Interviewed in December (if there are any spaces available) when they get back from Canada?

do they write to the US embassy in London or call or is there an email address to reschedule the interview?

ok, can they choose to be Interviewed in December (if there are any spaces available) when they get back from Canada?

do they write to the US embassy in London or call or is there an email address to reschedule the interview?

Contact form http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/visa_contact_form.html

Ask for a date you prefer. "May we request to be rescheduled to the week of December 8-12"? They might grant it. They have in the past.

Medical is good for 6 months. What date did they have it? It may stretch to the interview but not until April.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Forgot to say-- It isn't the whole medical that expires. It is the TB clearance. The re-do at Knightsbridge is something like £79. I've seen it posted before but can't really remember.

Another option--

Interview Friday. Say we can't leave our passports at this time.

Upon returning from Canada, get a medical update which will be forwarded to the embassy. (that will buy them 6 more months on the visa validity)

Contact courier to pick up the passports to take to the embassy.

Wait for them to resurrect their file and issue the visa. It won't happen the day the passports arrive. Maybe 3 weeks???

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

thanks for that contact form link!

I doubt they will stretch the medical. I think they had it done in April and their interview is taking place 6 months later (this Friday) So I guess a new medical for December is in order AFTER they come back from Canada.

I guess if not a December interview, then a January Interview will do also.

Whats the worst that can happen if my parents still showed up on Friday and mentioned to the interviewer that they are flying out to Canada the following day - will he /she not proceed with the interview and tell them they will have to reschedule this interview and if so, can my parents request there and then from him/her to check is they availability for December when they are back in the UK?

Wish I knew beforehand that they keep their passports as part of finishing about the immigration paperwork.

thanks for that contact form link!

I doubt they will stretch the medical. I think they had it done in April and their interview is taking place 6 months later (this Friday) So I guess a new medical for December is in order AFTER they come back from Canada.

I guess if not a December interview, then a January Interview will do also.

Whats the worst that can happen if my parents still showed up on Friday and mentioned to the interviewer that they are flying out to Canada the following day - will he /she not proceed with the interview and tell them they will have to reschedule this interview and if so, can my parents request there and then from him/her to check is they availability for December when they are back in the UK?

Wish I knew beforehand that they keep their passports as part of finishing about the immigration paperwork.

Maybe you missed my additional post talking about interview on Friday and sending passports later? We were posting at the same time.

I don't know how you missed details of the interview. And that it wasn't for a greencard. Did you not get a visa yourself?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Maybe you missed my additional post talking about interview on Friday and sending passports later? We were posting at the same time.

I don't know how you missed details of the interview. And that it wasn't for a greencard. Did you not get a visa yourself?

Missed details of the interview...yes interview letter did not state "we will hold your passport if you are approved", it just outlines the date and time and what to bring (at this time -nothing to bring, because I submitted originals and copies of what they asked for prior to the interview).

Yes got my GC thru marriage, at the time of my interview they stamped it, they didn't hold onto it...

I will call Knightsbridge and ask how much to redo the medical.

Forgot to say-- It isn't the whole medical that expires. It is the TB clearance. The re-do at Knightsbridge is something like £79. I've seen it posted before but can't really remember.

Another option--

Interview Friday. Say we can't leave our passports at this time. they did and got refused under 221 (g)

Upon returning from Canada, get a medical update which will be forwarded to the embassy. (that will buy them 6 more months on the visa validity) ok they can do this

Contact courier to pick up the passports to take to the embassy - how do they do this???

Wait for them to resurrect their file and issue the visa. It won't happen the day the passports arrive. Maybe 3 weeks??? they return from Canada on December 19, then they have to go to Philippines on Jan 24 - is this too short of a timeframe to risk being WITHOUT their passports to fly to Philippines!?

Contact form http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/visa_contact_form.html

Ask for a date you prefer. "May we request to be rescheduled to the week of December 8-12"? They might grant it. They have in the past.

Medical is good for 6 months. What date did they have it? It may stretch to the interview but not until April.

one more thing, they cannot use the form above to schedule another Interview for December, right?? Now that they have had their interview today...

They have to wait to be contacted after their redone medicals has been successfully sent and received and processed by the consulate??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.