KPea

Entering on K1, anyone have experience getting driving licence in Michigan or New York?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone! I am leaving for the US soon on my K1 visa.

I am coming from Australia where I hold a full Australian driver's licence. I will be arriving into Michigan in June, applying for SSN shortly after, getting married within two weeks, and staying in Michigan for a total of about a month. Then we are moving to New York.

Has anyone had any experience getting a NY or MIchigan licence, when they already hold a full licence in your home country? Do we still have to get a 'new' licence..sit the same knowledge and driving test, same fees etc?

Would love to hear anyone else's experience obtaining a drivers licence in Michigan or New York state (if you already have a drivers licence in your home country).

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I can't help you on new York or Michigan but you can look in to a international drivers good for one year a lot of people come to the united states on vacation rent cars using that license.or call the DMV in new York the ask about your Australian license.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Visited DMV office at Michigan yesterday.You need to give a test to get a temporary driving permit.This is valid till 180 days.With this you can drive only with someone who has a DL already.You have to give a road test within that time frame,and you get DL once you pass the test.Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Visited DMV office at Michigan yesterday.You need to give a test to get a temporary driving permit.This is valid till 180 days.With this you can drive only with someone who has a DL already.You have to give a road test within that time frame,and you get DL once you pass the test.Hope this helps.

My fiance is going to be coming to Michigan on a K1 Visa as well but has no previous license from the UK. Now I was already assuming he would have to take a written test and get a permit until taking a road test, but do you know when he would be able to do that? Is it after getting a SSN or after getting married and filing for AOS?

K-1 Visa Process

02/03/14 - Sent in I-129F

02/18/14 - NOA 1

04/08/14 - NOA 2

06/23/14 - Interview

07/03/14 - Ben arrived in Detroit!!! :):dancing:

07/26/14 - WE GOT MARRIED :wub::dance:

Adjustment of Status

09/05/14 - Sent in for AOS/EAD/AP

09/09/14 - Case was received

09/25/14 - Biometrics done (early walk-in)

09/26/14 - RFE (needed additional tax documentation and Affidavit of Support issues) :ranting:

11/04/14 - Sent RFE response

11/07/14 - Received RFE reponse (RFE Response Review)

12/10/14- Put in an Inquiry about my case (Says we should hear from them by January 1st)

01/06/15 - Called USCIS inquiring about my case

01/09/15 - Received text/email alerts saying my husband's EAD/AP card has been ordered! YAYYYYY! :dancing:

01/12/15 - Received second email/text saying his EAD/AP card is being produced!

01/16/15 - Received email/text that EAD/AP card was mailed and was given tracking number

01/17/15 - EAD/AP card in hand!

01/29/15 - Received notification that our Interview has been scheduled for Mar. 3rd!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

If you have a previous license from any country,you don't meed a temporary permit.You give a written exam and then a road test within 30 days.For applying DL you either need a SSN or a valid I-94.However you also need proof of residence.Since your fiance will not be having one,your residence proof would be required,which coud be yours DL.But in that case marriage licences is also needed.You apply for SSN at least after 2 weeks of arrival,and they would take at least 4 weeks(if they are aware that they can issue SSN on k1)So start planning your wedding,to have your marriage license.This way things could be started earlier.

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone! I am leaving for the US soon on my K1 visa.

I am coming from Australia where I hold a full Australian driver's licence. I will be arriving into Michigan in June, applying for SSN shortly after, getting married within two weeks, and staying in Michigan for a total of about a month. Then we are moving to New York.

Has anyone had any experience getting a NY or MIchigan licence, when they already hold a full licence in your home country? Do we still have to get a 'new' licence..sit the same knowledge and driving test, same fees etc?

Would love to hear anyone else's experience obtaining a drivers licence in Michigan or New York state (if you already have a drivers licence in your home country).

Thanks in advance!

If I remember well, the NY-DMV will give you a temporary driving licence for 1 year if you're on a K-1. Once you get your green card you can get it renewed to a normal licence.

NY will not accept the equivalence of a foreign licence so you will need to take the written exam, go to a 5h class and then take a driving exam. You also need to provide "6 points" of proof of identity (see the NY DMV website for detail on that).

Edited by arnaudgf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.