Danial

Can an email to the embassy help the administrative processing?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Interview was on 02.17.2014 @ 8am at the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi, UAE (~12 hrs ago).

Long Story:

I will start off by saying I was not there and my Mom was the one that accompanied my Fiance since I could not get time off from work. From what they both observed it seemed like the consulate was having a bad day because most people that went in came back saying that they were treated poorly. Also out of all the other Iranian's there for a Visa only one got out with a pink slip (meaning they were issued a visa) and the rest (20+ people) got a blue slip (meaning they are in AP for missing forms or other reasons?).

My Fiance's experience started off with her being sent out to get another $240 in cash because the first consulate officer which went through the paper work I had given her told her that the receipt she had for the $240 (which I had paid for online) was not ok. Thankfully this was quickly resolved as another consulate officer looked at the receipt and confirmed that it was paid for and took her back in. She then waited for her interview and the consulate officer that interviewed her took everything from her except our facebook chat logs and began the interview.

After a few of the usual questions he asked "When did you meet him in person?", which she answered back in Aug 2013, "How long did were you with him?", 4 days, "Have you met any other times?", no, "So you have not met in Iran", no. After this she was told that because we had only met once and it's been such a short time since we met that she will go through AP "Which can take 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 4 months, have a nice day". She was given a blue slip which said no documents were missing and to check on the progress online at http://www.abudhabiivo.net/ (this is a linked from the Abu Dhabi US Embassy site). This site has no updates, but I was able to finally see that it is in AP today after getting errors all day on the state.gov status tracker site https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker (chosing Immigrant Visa and putting in the case number).

tl;dr (short story):

To summarize: My Fiance had all her papers and documents they needed, and even some that they did not even look it (chat history, phone bills, emails) and they seem to focus on the fact that we only met once in late August of 2013 and applied for a visa right after we met, as if it was too quick, and that is why we are in AP. I was not expecting an immediate answer, but I was also not expecting an AP that seems like I can not contribute further to help move the process along.

So my question to you guys is: Using Abu Dhabi's email form, will it help or make the situation worse for me to explain my situation as to why we had not seen each other more than once and that I have even sent a deposit in for our wedding date? I would also like to add to it by saying people who live near each other have gotten married with much less time from the point they met and we had done what we could with the time I had available and have stayed in constant contact (before and after we met). I dont know if this part would help since it's just ranting smile.png

Thank you for any help and input you have!

Filed: Timeline

Unfortunately no one can predict when AP will end. Just be patient and hope it end quickly.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Consular Officers in poor countries and some Muslim countries approach their jobs/reviews of visa applications with bias. They were NOT having a bad day as you think, they just like to treat people horribly. I saw this during my wife's interview --- and it's a shame!

A female friend who works closely with the Consular Staffs (mind you I also work for a different Bureau of State) also tells me these Consular Officers basically "hate it" when they get posted to the not so cozy posts. They view, for the most part, all visa applicants as fraudulent until they prove themselves legit and innocent. They give visa applicants unnecessarily a hard time to go. And very often, they hide behind the fact that they (COs) denial decisions do not have to be explained to anyone or can be challenged, so they practically do what they want without any consequences. It's unfortunate but these are the undocumented truths of the predicament of visa applicants from poor countries and/or countries the US perceives as hostile (mostly Muslim countries).

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Timeline

That makes sense, and I thought maybe UAE would be different since they are in a better relationship with the US, but I understand that they have to start with Guilty until proven innocent.

Is it the same Consular Officer that will be doing the administrative processing or does someone else do the review? Since the email to Abu Dhabi form asks for the case number I thought I could just ask some simple questions to see if there is more she has to provide while she is there (since the only check box checked was passport and she did have her passport).

I would post your question(s) in the UAE sub-forum for specific answers.

I doubt if the same consular officer does the AP/background checks. As busy as these consulates are, the COs are always busy reviewing and interviewing visa applicants. So the AP/background checks are assigned to other consular staffs with security background checks expertise and/or experience.

That makes sense, and I thought maybe UAE would be different since they are in a better relationship with the US, but I understand that they have to start with Guilty until proven innocent.

Is it the same Consular Officer that will be doing the administrative processing or does someone else do the review? Since the email to Abu Dhabi form asks for the case number I thought I could just ask some simple questions to see if there is more she has to provide while she is there (since the only check box checked was passport and she did have her passport).

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Timeline

Thank you Boggy.

I forgot to ask, they also asked her how I have a US Citizenship (which she answered because I was born here), he also asked why my mom had a US Citizenship, which she did not know, but I don't know how my mother's citizenship matters?

Danial, I don't think the background of your mom's citizenship matters at all. Your wife was attending a spousal visa interview, NOT a derivative interview.

Frankly, the CO was being a j**k. Unfortunately this is what you are faced with. I would provide all or any extra evidence they're asking for - and hope it works in your favor. Best of luck!

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Timeline

Emailed them and got a response that I clearly did not read that the blue sheet states that shes in administrative processing. Then they let me know that someone else can submit her passport on her behalf at the embassy on any working Thurs or Sun at 2pm, and then the visa will be in the passport in 4-5 business days from then. Maybe I should have just gone with Ankara.

Happy you making a headway!good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Emailed them and got a response that I clearly did not read that the blue sheet states that shes in administrative processing. Then they let me know that someone else can submit her passport on her behalf at the embassy on any working Thurs or Sun at 2pm, and then the visa will be in the passport in 4-5 business days from then. Maybe I should have just gone with Ankara.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Timeline

Happy you making a headway!good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

They were a bit smug in their reply: "Clearly states that...", but they are really quick at getting back to questions that are not on their sites FAQ. I also found out that their own site will not show anything until there is something to show, so not even the "administrative processing" that the state.gov site shows.

Also talked to my fiance again, and it seemed like they decided that day they werent going to give any K-1 Visa's at all and all went into AP. Her CO wasn't angry or anything, but had just hung up on the fact that we had gotten through the first part of the process (I-129 -> Interview) so fast and he wanted to delay that a bit. He even said thank you at the end of the interview and was circling some items on the I-134 items I had submitted for her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

We've been in Ap for 5months now, I've called and emailed after 90 days. I get no where, everyone is extremely rude! I hope everyone else has a better experience than we have had.

Ok first of all relax please. I have been through AP myself and was freaking out as much as you are if not more. Your lawyer can't do anything so please keep the lawyer out of it. If someone tells you to include the congressman dont do it coz it doesnt help. I involved the senator so I know. Here's what you need to do. Send a follow-up email to the Embassy every three weeks. Based on my experience, most of the cases are resolved within 6 month to a year. My AP was completed in 364 days. The maximum it can take is two years but it is very rare. 80% of the cases are resolved before the one year mark. Once it is completed they will contact you if they need any additional documents and your visa will be issued.

Don't confuse yourself with millions of opinions. I've been through it so letting you know. thanks

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Update:

About a month ago the Abu Dhabi site posted the following on their status check site:

Important note for all Immigrant Visa applicants: Due to changes in the regulations regarding medical clearances, medical checks are now valid for only 6 months. The 6 month validity is from the date of the exam until the date of entry to the United States. Thus, even if an applicant has had a medical check in the last 6 months, unless they plan to actually travel and enter the United States before the end of that 6 month period, they will need a NEW medical check. This should be completed at the same medical facility in the UAE where the first check was completed. Every visa applicant must complete the exam, not just the principal applicant.

This got me worried that they will be delaying the Visa just to pass this 6 month period so that we would have to buy a ticket to Dubai, pay for another medical, and also pay extra to get the medical completed in one day. I emailed the Embassy and got no response and decided to wait to see if there are any updates. After the status did not update for almost 4 months, about a month after the new regulation, I decided to call the NVC to find out if they can provide some clarification. I made a phone call on 07.24.14 after work and was told that they see it in administrative processing and to call back in a week and check. I called the NVC again on 07.31.2014 and was told that the case has had no updates for too long so she will send this to her supervisor who will contact me in about 2 weeks with an update, she also informed me that she was not aware of any new medical regulations and to wait before getting a medical exam.

Just around 11pm yesterday 08.05.14 I noticed the state.gov status site had an updated date of 08.06.2014 (since they are 8hrs ahead in Abu Dhabi). Then just past midnight I received an email requesting my bank(s) statements starting from June 2013. I immediately went to my bank sites and downloaded all the statements in a pdf format and compressed them into a zip file and sent them back.

Not sure how much longer it will take them to review these, but the 6 months that the new regulation is speaking up would be up on 08.15.14 as my fiancee had her exam on 02.15.2014 two days before her interview on 02.17.2014.

Edit: Forgot my question - Anyone else seen this new regulation? Anyone else have to send in an itemized bank statement for a K1 Visa or any other Visa?

Edited by Danial

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.