aidan80

Hunting for a new Job!!!!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Well it's that time again... I've been applying for IT jobs and have had an interview already with another scheduled next week. I wanted to pick (IT/managers) peoples brains on any weird or strange questions I should expect at an interview. The reason I ask is.. my last interview didn't go so well. I'm aiming for Desktop Support jobs or IT Technician type jobs.

Long story short I applied for an entry level position (IT Technician I)and come interview time I was being asked questions they should be asking someone applying for a Network Admin position. It was a phone interview and the interviewer became more aggressive with the questions as time passed. He even cut me off while and just before answering stating "oh ok, you just don't know.. moving on". Duh I don't know, I fix computers, replace things, reload the system, unlock things, configure and install.... I don't program things in pearl or manage vast amounts of Linux servers or a massive active directory database at least not for 30k per year.

Any advice would be great!! :dance:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Well it's that time again... I've been applying for IT jobs and have had an interview already with another scheduled next week. I wanted to pick (IT/managers) peoples brains on any weird or strange questions I should expect at an interview. The reason I ask is.. my last interview didn't go so well. I'm aiming for Desktop Support jobs or IT Technician type jobs.

Long story short I applied for an entry level position (IT Technician I)and come interview time I was being asked questions they should be asking someone applying for a Network Admin position. It was a phone interview and the interviewer became more aggressive with the questions as time passed. He even cut me off while and just before answering stating "oh ok, you just don't know.. moving on". Duh I don't know, I fix computers, replace things, reload the system, unlock things, configure and install.... I don't program things in pearl or manage vast amounts of Linux servers or a massive active directory database at least not for 30k per year.

Common problem. The requisition is thought up one way, written another way, understood by the interviewers another one. Happens all the time, and is very frustrating.

My advice is next time you interview, when they ask you to "tell me about yourself", summarize your experience and state what you understand the position you're interviewing for is with a request to be corrected if mistaken. Control the discourse, don't be pushed around.

As for questions... once you find an interview for the right job, expect technical questions. IT interviewers at that level typically don't get into the behavioral questions common elsewhere. Know your technical stuff well. "What would you do if" type of questions are popular, as are "tell me about a challenge" type questions.

When they ask you what you want to do going forward, show ambition. Use words like lead, manage, mentor, architect etc. Don't say you wanna run cables forever (I'm not saying you do), it sounds bad. A lot of IT people really do want to stay in the trenches forever, but employers aren't usually looking for that and besides it sounds pathetic.

Lastly, when asked about salary, go no less than 5-10% above what you know is fair. Find out what is fair using a source like salary.com and conversations with headhunters. Negotiate offers. When made an offer, always politely counteroffer. If you're currently unemployed, make it clear that you will consider the offer as it stands but you'd like the nice HR lady to find out if she can work something out. If you're currently employed and happy, don't say you'll consider the current offer, but if asked, say you will but don't sound excited about it. Never say you won't consider an offer without seeing the letter. Ask for benefits premium info, some employers will say they don't have it at first. Lazy HR people! Insist on it, they will 'find' it for you. They always do.

Good luck. And I'd research the 30k number if I were you, it sounds way too low.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

ETA : One more thing, on the salary subject: I know conventional wisdom is to give a range, I don't find that helpful. If you say 40-50k, HR hears 40k. Giving a range is just silly d1cking around. Have a range in your head and give them the top number. They'll come in below, you ask for more and so on.

Timeline

Common problem. The requisition is thought up one way, written another way, understood by the interviewers another one. Happens all the time, and is very frustrating.

My advice is next time you interview, when they ask you to "tell me about yourself", summarize your experience and state what you understand the position you're interviewing for is with a request to be corrected if mistaken. Control the discourse, don't be pushed around.

As for questions... once you find an interview for the right job, expect technical questions. IT interviewers at that level typically don't get into the behavioral questions common elsewhere. Know your technical stuff well. "What would you do if" type of questions are popular, as are "tell me about a challenge" type questions.

When they ask you what you want to do going forward, show ambition. Use words like lead, manage, mentor, architect etc. Don't say you wanna run cables forever (I'm not saying you do), it sounds bad. A lot of IT people really do want to stay in the trenches forever, but employers aren't usually looking for that and besides it sounds pathetic.

Lastly, when asked about salary, go no less than 5-10% above what you know is fair. Find out what is fair using a source like salary.com and conversations with headhunters. Negotiate offers. When made an offer, always politely counteroffer. If you're currently unemployed, make it clear that you will consider the offer as it stands but you'd like the nice HR lady to find out if she can work something out. If you're currently employed and happy, don't say you'll consider the current offer, but if asked, say you will but don't sound excited about it. Never say you won't consider an offer without seeing the letter. Ask for benefits premium info, some employers will say they don't have it at first. Lazy HR people! Insist on it, they will 'find' it for you. They always do.

Good luck. And I'd research the 30k number if I were you, it sounds way too low.

Thats a good idea, I'll have to remember that when asked "about myself". Although my last interview was for entry level IT Technician I, the interviewer knew it as did I.. he knew it wasn't a Network Administrator position! :lol:

The technical questions I can handle, how would I fix/correct A, B or C is straight forward enough, what is IPsec/VoIP, domain controller, how to block internet access, what is a sub domain, black screen lights are on.. etc. I been thought this before when I first got here and feel I didn't get hired because I had an EAD at the time and they thought didn't understand. The even showed me around the office, made an inital offer told me when it starts.. even showed me the desk!... Officially another candidate was selected in the end :lol: Anyway am glad I should expect similar type of technical questions, I like a challenge within my area.

Thank you for the going forward advice, I'll keep those keywords in mind! That's where I'm going is forward. My qualifications and experience from home barley got me 1 IT interview since I got here.. The second I put A+ on my resume I got 2 interviews in less than a week! My aim is at least N+, MCP, MSCA/MCSE..

I'll keep your advice about salaries in mind and check out that site! At the minute the job I'm interviewing for pays at minimum only $60 more per week, maximum on the other hand pays more. I think my current employer wants to hang on to me, they've given me 3 pay raises so far, been promoted and informed me they'd like to make me into an IT person when they can.

Benefits appear mostly the same for Government workers (although this Dept has better benefits) and yes some of the HR people are among the most laziest useless people I've met so far. Actually I'm applying for another IT job in another Government Dept across the street :lol: I'm kind of annoyed because I applied at the same place 1 year ago and never even got a thanks but no thanks, no interview. :lol:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline
ETA : One more thing, on the salary subject: I know conventional wisdom is to give a range, I don't find that helpful. If you say 40-50k, HR hears 40k. Giving a range is just silly d1cking around. Have a range in your head and give them the top number. They'll come in below, you ask for more and so on.

I had the same thoughts about the salary subject.. best to aim high (not too high) and expect to come down a little. Although I've noticed that some Dept's will hire the cheapest/best person they can get! If I get as far as a salary offer again I'll keep it in mind. :yes:

If you happen to be in CA, we have an IT job opening in the company. Anyway, best of luck to ya!

Thanks, but I'm in Florida :P

Nothing of substance from me - I depend on your kind if stuff don't work right.

Just stopping by to wish you the Best of Luck! :thumbs:

Thanks! :thumbs:

VJ Troll (Arijit) is an IT guy.

Best wishes on your search. :thumbs:

Thanks... he got here before I could find him! :lol:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Benefits appear mostly the same for Government workers (although this Dept has better benefits) and yes some of the HR people are among the most laziest useless people I've met so far. Actually I'm applying for another IT job in another Government Dept across the street :lol: I'm kind of annoyed because I applied at the same place 1 year ago and never even got a thanks but no thanks, no interview. :lol:

Have you considered the private sector?

Timeline

Have you considered the private sector?

I have but there isn't much available in this area at the minute. Jobs appear to be tight and there are tons of people out there hunting them down. We're planing to move out of this state during spring if we can. I'll always check private and public jobs. Both appear to have their pluses and minuses...

I actually got a job advert from my wife via career builder a few days ago.. it was in WV, IT Technician.. it wanted someone with a 4 year degree to work 30 hours per week and the salary range was $11 per hour :lol: I'm hoping that was a typo!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't program things in pearl or manage vast amounts of Linux servers or a massive active directory database at least not for 30k per year.

Maybe that's the problem? You'd be looking at $100k+ if you did.

Just a thought.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
I don't program things in pearl or manage vast amounts of Linux servers or a massive active directory database at least not for 30k per year.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure that would be accurate for Florida salaries. My husband does a lot of program development and analysis stuff for a big company, and is considered to have a good paying job in the area, has a master's degree...and is not paid 100K. We wish! :P It might be that high in the North East.

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Just a thought.

I'm not sure that would be accurate for Florida salaries. My husband does a lot of program development and analysis stuff for a big company, and is considered to have a good paying job in the area, has a master's degree...and is not paid 100K. We wish! :P It might be that high in the North East.

Yeah but who wants to live in the North East? :P

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just a thought.

Well, I was talking specifically about Unix system/network administration, not programming.

As a systems tech, Aidan should be able to pick up enough Unix-fu, Perl and shell scripting

to qualify (in a matter of weeks.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg