Mavin

TN Visa after Interview in Montreal.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This just sounds so complicated and sigh*,

I did my interview in Montreal on June 7th, I was approved but was also requested to mail back an additional document, which I mailed that same day. My issue is this: I got a job offer back in May to start June 15th pending receipt of legal documents to work in US, this date had to be moved to July 13th because I wasn't sure I'll receive all the legal documents since my interview was just 6 days before my work start date in U.S.

Now that I have read from a lot of people here that sending a document back to Montreal may take at least 3 weeks for them to process the immigrant visa, it unfortunately appears I may not get all I need to start work July 13th (remember i'll need to get my SSN....God knows how long that will take and I obviously need to get everything in place at least a week before my start date). Today is June 15th, I don't even know if Montreal has received the additional document they requested for (I emailed them, i got no response) so here I am wondering if it'll make any sense for me to apply for a TN visa at a US POE? What are the chances of getting approved knowing fully well I'm an intending immigrant but this is about saving my job....they already pushed the start date....assuming I get denied the TN Visa, will it affect my Immigrant visa? and also how long does it take for Montreal to send back passports without the visa?

I'm so sorry I have so many questions but i'm just so confused and I need to save my job. Please help!!!

Thank you

Timeline:

June 7th- Interview

Result- Approved but missing original birth certificate

June 7th- Mailed original birth certificate

June 8th- Offsite facility received original birth certificate

June 13th- Consulate received original birth certificate

June 29th- Requested for passport to travel

July 8th- Received passport

July 8th- (didnt need passport anymore) mailed it back to consulate

July 9th- Offsite facility received passport

July 13th- Consulate received passport

July 14th- Sent emails to inquire about case, was told to give them an additional 8 weeks from JULY 13th to process my visa :ranting: , immediately involved Congressman AND our Attorney sent letters mid-july/end of august

August 9th- Issued

August 10th- Received tracking number at 2pm

August 11th- Received Passport at 11am(Markham, ON)/Crossed border. at 7pm (Pearson Airport Toronto)

August 16th- Went to Social Security office, was told my card was mailed out August 15th and I was able to jot the SSN down (needed for work)

(For SSN, when i was completing the DOS-260, I requested for them to have my SSN processed)

August 25th- SSN came in the mail :D

October 16th, RECEIVED GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First, do you qualify for a TN visa? What is your degree and job?

The job you'll use for a TN, if qualified, will need to provide information to you that you can submit that the POE, since you have to talk to the HR department anyway, see if you can push back your start date (you are going for an immigrant visa right? Not a K visa?). Explain the situation and see if they'll push it back. The worst they can say is no.

And No, a TN denial will not affect your immigrant visa.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Usually with an actual TN visa, you can just apply directly at the POE. I've used the reciprocal ability to come to Canada. As long as you have a legit job offer, and your qualifications line up with the job and the NAFTA jobs list, it's pretty straightforward.

Now immigrant intent on a TN visa is actually a bit complicated from what I've read, as dual intent is not allowed.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline

Yes I have an MBA and the role is in Clinical Research. And yes, i'm going for an immigrant visa not K-visa.

Thanks, i need all the luck I can get.

:)

First, do you qualify for a TN visa? What is your degree and job?

The job you'll use for a TN, if qualified, will need to provide information to you that you can submit that the POE, since you have to talk to the HR department anyway, see if you can push back your start date (you are going for an immigrant visa right? Not a K visa?). Explain the situation and see if they'll push it back. The worst they can say is no.

And No, a TN denial will not affect your immigrant visa.

Good luck

Timeline:

June 7th- Interview

July 14th- Sent emails to inquire about case, was told to give them an additional 8 weeks from JULY 13th to process my visa :ranting: , immediately involved Congressman AND our Attorney sent letters mid-july/end of august

August 9th- Issued

August 11th- Received Passport at 11am(Markham, ON)/Crossed border. at 7pm (Pearson Airport Toronto)

August 16th- Went to Social Security office, was told my card was mailed out August 15th and I was able to jot the SSN down (needed for work)

(For SSN, when i was completing the DOS-260, I requested for them to have my SSN processed)

Timeline

In my head, I am processing it like this: they know eventually I will still relocate to the states given the fact that I'm in the final stage of getting my visa processed. So why not just give me the dang TN so I can work lol. but i understand it's not as straightforward as I'm thinking.

I'll try my luck and see how far it takes me.

Thanks for your response.

Usually with an actual TN visa, you can just apply directly at the POE. I've used the reciprocal ability to come to Canada. As long as you have a legit job offer, and your qualifications line up with the job and the NAFTA jobs list, it's pretty straightforward.

Now immigrant intent on a TN visa is actually a bit complicated from what I've read, as dual intent is not allowed.

Timeline:

June 7th- Interview

August 9th- Issued

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my opinion and based from my wife's experience, TN visa is valid for a year and that it going to be re-applied every year. It is not an immigrant visa. I have to drive my wife every year for 2 years to RE-APPLY (NOT RENEW). Dual intent is not allowed. My wife was petitioned while on a TN Visa and it only took less than a year.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Some out of date information in this thread.

TN-1 visas are now good for 3 years.

You don't have to renew at the border, your company can file an I-797 change of status and get a new TN-1 visa issued without having to leave the US. For some bizarre reason I had fellow Canadians with TN-1 status who decided to cross into the mexico side of the border [they lived in LA] and renew that way which DHS put a stop to. Again you don't have to do the cross border trips if you want to get a new TN-1 visa, you can file change of status.

To the op, what interview did you have in Montreal? Job interview? Or with the consulate? You shouldn't be going through the consulate for the TN-1, you can just apply at any US/Canadian POE, ie. a major airport when you fly to the US job.

If your paperwork and background is qualified, you shouldn't have any problems getting your TN-1 visa on the way to the US. If you are doing the TN-1 yourself (why isn't the company that is hiring you putting this through a immigration lawyer?) that can be a possible red flag.

BTW YOU CAN START WORK WITHOUT A SSN.

It just means you can't get paid or put onto payroll until you receive it.

When I moved to Los Angeles on a TN-1 Visa, the first thing I did after arriving was went to the social security office with my I-94/Passport with TN stamp. After a few hours it was filed and I received my SSN card [with DHS endorsement] within 2 weeks.

So I missed the first payroll period and I had to go without a paycheck for 3-4 weeks but the back pay was forwarded to the next / first paycheck.

If your employer has hired visa workers before this should know all this.

/edit

Wait you have a pending immigrant visa case? You may not get issued a TN-1 visa, it won't impact your ongoing immigrant visa case.

Edited by HollywoodNorth

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Timeline

I went to the conculate for an interview relating to an Immigration Visa (CR1), my husband is american. I was just wondering if it will be fruitful to try to get a TN through the border and also, since you have been through the TN process, is it possible to explain it to me? Can my job do anything? if so, what exactly can they do? How fast is it to get the visa?

And do you think it may be difficult to get the TN-1 simply because I just basically completed the immigration process for the CR1- it's just that i'm waiting for my passport with the visa?

Thanks,

Some out of date information in this thread.

TN-1 visas are now good for 3 years.

You don't have to renew at the border, your company can file an I-797 change of status and get a new TN-1 visa issued without having to leave the US. For some bizarre reason I had fellow Canadians with TN-1 status who decided to cross into the mexico side of the border [they lived in LA] and renew that way which DHS put a stop to. Again you don't have to do the cross border trips if you want to get a new TN-1 visa, you can file change of status.

To the op, what interview did you have in Montreal? Job interview? Or with the consulate? You shouldn't be going through the consulate for the TN-1, you can just apply at any US/Canadian POE, ie. a major airport when you fly to the US job.

If your paperwork and background is qualified, you shouldn't have any problems getting your TN-1 visa on the way to the US. If you are doing the TN-1 yourself (why isn't the company that is hiring you putting this through a immigration lawyer?) that can be a possible red flag.

BTW YOU CAN START WORK WITHOUT A SSN.

It just means you can't get paid or put onto payroll until you receive it.

When I moved to Los Angeles on a TN-1 Visa, the first thing I did after arriving was went to the social security office with my I-94/Passport with TN stamp. After a few hours it was filed and I received my SSN card [with DHS endorsement] within 2 weeks.

So I missed the first payroll period and I had to go without a paycheck for 3-4 weeks but the back pay was forwarded to the next / first paycheck.

If your employer has hired visa workers before this should know all this.

/edit

Wait you have a pending immigrant visa case? You may not get issued a TN-1 visa, it won't impact your ongoing immigrant visa case.

Timeline:

June 7th- Interview

August 9th- Issued

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to the conculate for an interview relating to an Immigration Visa (CR1), my husband is american. I was just wondering if it will be fruitful to try to get a TN through the border and also, since you have been through the TN process, is it possible to explain it to me? Can my job do anything? if so, what exactly can they do? How fast is it to get the visa?

And do you think it may be difficult to get the TN-1 simply because I just basically completed the immigration process for the CR1- it's just that i'm waiting for my passport with the visa?

Thanks,

The process for the TN-1 visa is you need to show your credentials, proof of job history [resume, etc], diploma, plus any certifications related to your field, you'll need to have the proper paperwork filled out for the border agent, plus a job offer letter, plus any additional information on who that company is [not technically required, but my employers immigration lawyer did a big professional packet, complete with duplicate forms already filled out for the agent].

I went to Toronto airport, a few hours before my LA flight, brought my paperwork with me and told immigration that I was applying for a TN-1 visa. They directed me to secondary, I waited in line, handed in my packet and they asked me a few questions.. what was my job title, how long I worked at x company, etc. Then they scanned my eyes and took a digital finger print, and gave me a blank I94* to fill out and told me to wait. After 20 minutes the agent came back, stamped my I94 and passport with the TN-1 visa, I paid a fee and went to my flight.

*-I heard the I94 process may be all digital now.. not sure.. you may need a physical copy for the Social Security Office, I'm not 100% on that.

The whole process for me took 30 minutes at the airport.

Now.. in your situation, .. what is your CEAC status on your CR1? You are allowed to apply for multiple visas at once, if you are waiting for an interview at US consulate in Canada, then that's proof in itself that you intend to return to Canada since you need to for your green card/citizenship. On the other hand you are married to a US citizen which is an automatic red flag for any temporary work visa. An officer processing your TN-1 may view your attempt as "skipping the line" and reject it outright, ultimately its at their discretion.

In other words its hard to say without more information.

I'm confused on the save your job aspect to this... I mean technically speaking you don't have a job until you have US status [which you don't have yet].

Edited by HollywoodNorth

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Timeline

Thanks for this detailed explanation. Well what I mean by "save the job" is the fact that the work start date had already been pushed once from June 15th to July 13th, I dont want to request for another change in start date so it doesn't come off like i'm tardy (although my employer is aware of my immigration situation- I informed them from the start and they said it's fine). I was so sure i'd have everything intact before the end of this week..... one truly can never be sure when it comes to things like this. *sigh*

The process for the TN-1 visa is you need to show your credentials, proof of job history [resume, etc], diploma, plus any certifications related to your field, you'll need to have the proper paperwork filled out for the border agent, plus a job offer letter, plus any additional information on who that company is [not technically required, but my employers immigration lawyer did a big professional packet, complete with duplicate forms already filled out for the agent].

I went to Toronto airport, a few hours before my LA flight, brought my paperwork with me and told immigration that I was applying for a TN-1 visa. They directed me to secondary, I waited in line, handed in my packet and they asked me a few questions.. what was my job title, how long I worked at x company, etc. Then they scanned my eyes and took a digital finger print, and gave me a blank I94* to fill out and told me to wait. After 20 minutes the agent came back, stamped my I94 and passport with the TN-1 visa, I paid a fee and went to my flight.

*-I heard the I94 process may be all digital now.. not sure.. you may need a physical copy for the Social Security Office, I'm not 100% on that.

The whole process for me took 30 minutes at the airport.

Now.. in your situation, .. what is your CEAC status on your CR1? You are allowed to apply for multiple visas at once, if you are waiting for an interview at US consulate in Canada, then that's proof in itself that you intend to return to Canada since you need to for your green card/citizenship. On the other hand you are married to a US citizen which is an automatic red flag for any temporary work visa. An officer processing your TN-1 may view your attempt as "skipping the line" and reject it outright, ultimately its at their discretion.

In other words its hard to say without more information.

I'm confused on the save your job aspect to this... I mean technically speaking you don't have a job until you have US status [which you don't have yet].

Timeline:

June 7th- Interview

August 9th- Issued

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.