masterstatus

DCF Tokyo, Japan I-864 Question

10 posts in this topic

Hey all! First post so I'm sorry if this has been answered I did my best to look through everything. My wife and I are finalizing everything for our DCF in Tokyo and I had a few questions that have been bugging me about I-864 Affidavit of Support.

I am in Japan doing a Direct Consulate Filing CR-1 Visa. I have to file my I-864, but I don't have any income so my father who we will be living with is filing as a joint sponsor.
I had three questions:
1) Does my father file an I-864 or I-864A? If he files an 864A, do I list him as joint sponsor on my I-864?
2) My father does not file for taxes anymore because all of his income is non-taxable, should I include a letter stating that with his signature attached? The Embassy said I just need to provide proof of his income which I have.
3) I didn't file my 2013 taxes, I plan on mailing them in soon. If I mail them in and have my appointment for the interview next month, is it okay for me to check the box that says I filed taxes for the last three years?
Thank you so much!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hey all! First post so I'm sorry if this has been answered I did my best to look through everything. My wife and I are finalizing everything for our DCF in Tokyo and I had a few questions that have been bugging me about I-864 Affidavit of Support.

I am in Japan doing a Direct Consulate Filing CR-1 Visa. I have to file my I-864, but I don't have any income so my father who we will be living with is filing as a joint sponsor.
I had three questions:
1) Does my father file an I-864 or I-864A? I-864 If he files an 864A, do I list him as joint sponsor on my I-864? n/a. Dad files his own I-864.
2) My father does not file for taxes anymore because all of his income is non-taxable, should I include a letter stating that with his signature attached? Yes. Follow the I-864 instructions on this. The Embassy said I just need to provide proof of his income which I have.
3) I didn't file my 2013 taxes, I plan on mailing them in soon. If I mail them in and have my appointment for the interview next month, is it okay for me to check the box that says I filed taxes for the last three years? Once you mail them in, then you have filed. Planning on mailing them in soon means you have not filed, so it's not okay for you to check that box until the tax return in in the mail.
Thank you so much!

Once you mail them in, then you have filed. Planning on mailing them in soon means you have not filed, so it's not okay for you to check that box until the tax return in in the mail.

Thanks for the fast response its much appreciated!

This is even true for taxes from previous years that are late? So as soon as I put it in the mailbox its considered filed?

I thought there is no DCF opption for Japan? No?

There generally isn't only in certain, generally extreme circumstances. My situation happens to meet the criteria.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

There generally isn't only in certain, generally extreme circumstances. My situation happens to meet the criteria.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation!

I had another quick question about this. Since I will be going to the embassy in February/March should I file my 2015 taxes beforehand? When they mean the last three years and I hand in the I-864 in February/March do they mean 2015? My I-130 was process in November of 2014.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

the I-864 is adjudicated on interview day.

If after 15 April 2016, then the IV Unit will want to see the 2015 tax year stuff.

If prior to 15 April 2016, then the IV Unit will accept 2014 taxes for prior year stuff, and 2015 'proof of income' with 2016 'proof of income' for 'current annual income blocks .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.