mccorleone

Social Security Number... Taking Too Long (???)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everyone... Our case was a K-1. We went to the local SS office to apply for the SS# 10 days after arrival; they gave us a letter saying that it will take up to 4 weeks to verify info with USCIS. It's now almost 3 MONTHS; and when we called to inquire, they say, "it's in progress".

Does anyone have this kind of experience, or have some reasonable explanation for this long of a delay in getting an SS#? Appreciate your feedback!! Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

2019 09 30 : Filed N-400 Online

2019 10 23 : Biometrics Completed

2021 03 22 : Citizenship Interview PASSED; Oath + Certificate Issued

=========

2018 03 08 : ROC Package Recv'd/Signed

2018 03 19 : NOA Recv'd

2019 06 21 : Biometrics Completed

2019 09 13 : Card in Production (No Interview)

2019 09 20 : Recv'd 10-Yr Green Card by Mail

=========

2015 11 06 : AOS Package Recv'd/Signed

2015 11 16 : NOA's (3x) Recv'd by Mail

2015 12 04 : Biometrics Completed

2016 01 25 : EAD & AP Approved (No RFE's)

2016 03 09 : Interview Scheduled (No RFE's)

2016 03 16 : AOS Interview - APPROVED

2016 03 24 : Received Green Card by Mail

=========

2015 02 07 : I-129F Mailed

2015 05 13 : I-129F Approved (No RFE's)

2015 08 18 : K-1 Interview (Visa Approved)

2015 08 29 : Arrived U.S.

Filed: Timeline

Pretty sure the person who entered the info didn't know what they were doing. My fiancee (now wife) applied shortly after entering the country and we had her social security card in less than 10 days. When we went back to have the name changed after our marriage the person entering the info gave us the same nonsense about 4 weeks to verify info with USCIS. After 5 weeks with no updated SS card we went back into the SS office, got a different person this time (the same person who processed the first card) and he said the person who had entered the info for the new card had made several mistakes on the form. He re-entered the info correctly and we had the new SS card with the name change in about a week.

I would suggest going back in and ask them what is going on. Calling them is useless.

Edited by bowens44

Timeline

I just came back from the SS office. They said that they cannot issue an SS# because her I94 was within 2 wks of expiring by the time the got to our case; I explained that 3 months ago when we submitted the application her I94 was valid at that time. They said that makes no difference now because their system just says that "I94 expired". So then, they said we can either get another I94 that isn't expired yet or wait for the EAD card from USCIS.

Anyone ever ran into such an idiotic thing with the SS workers? I don't think you can ever get another I94, so for them to suggest that is just ludicrous. At this point, I think we're pretty much screwed and have to wait for the EAD card before we can get a damned SS#, but would really appreciate any suggestion or explanation that you all can provide! Thanks very much...

=========

=========

=========

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

i had a similar issue on a different visa, but i also waited for 3 weeks like a fool for them to issue my SSN. i showed up at the SSA, asked if I can get my number at least to report it to my employer and was told by a very nonchalant clerk that my "application was denied". no notice, no letter in the mail, i could have waited for 3 more months apparently.

after i requested to talk to someone about this, the explanation I got was that my information does not match with the USCIS system. that was a great freakout moment. basically, I did not exist with USCIS although I had their EAD card in my hands when applying. naturally, the SSA did not feel like they could do anything about it.

i was guessing on my own for a few days and figured out it was most likely a name issue. I have 2 first names, no middle name, and a last name. went to USCIS to see how they put my name in their system; they convinced me several times that my name was spelled properly. i finally asked a to check their pc monitor to see it for myself and it turned out that it wasn't, they actually registered me for EAD with 1 first name and 1 middle name.

once i applied with that USCIS name version (that is not really my name, but okay), the SSA got an immediate hit in the system. the reason why i am pointing this out is because it takes them up to 5 seconds to see if there is a match, not a week or two. therefore, my advice to anyone who has not received their card in a week - go there and do something about it. they will not contact you even if they deny your request and you will be sitting and home waiting like a fool.

in theory, in case your info does not match, the SSA is supposed to send a written request to USCIS to verify your info in a few weeks. in general, they do not do that, as I was informed.

Edited by bimpldat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@bimpidat n all my husband hav similar issue he got admitted on 11 16 2015 and apply for SSN on 11 24 with I551 temp visa GC and uptil now dey say dey ar waiting info froM DHS wat u suggest we can do wit dis! Thanks he need to work as urgents

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

i had a similar issue on a different visa, but i also waited for 3 weeks like a fool for them to issue my SSN. i showed up at the SSA, asked if I can get my number at least to report it to my employer and was told by a very nonchalant clerk that my "application was denied". no notice, no letter in the mail, i could have waited for 3 more months apparently.

after i requested to talk to someone about this, the explanation I got was that my information does not match with the USCIS system. that was a great freakout moment. basically, I did not exist with USCIS although I had their EAD card in my hands when applying. naturally, the SSA did not feel like they could do anything about it.

i was guessing on my own for a few days and figured out it was most likely a name issue. I have 2 first names, no middle name, and a last name. went to USCIS to see how they put my name in their system; they convinced me several times that my name was spelled properly. i finally asked a to check their pc monitor to see it for myself and it turned out that it wasn't, they actually registered me for EAD with 1 first name and 1 middle name.

once i applied with that USCIS name version (that is not really my name, but okay), the SSA got an immediate hit in the system. the reason why i am pointing this out is because it takes them up to 5 seconds to see if there is a match, not a week or two. therefore, my advice to anyone who has not received their card in a week - go there and do something about it. they will not contact you even if they deny your request and you will be sitting and home waiting like a fool.

in theory, in case your info does not match, the SSA is supposed to send a written request to USCIS to verify your info in a few weeks. in general, they do not do that, as I was informed.

This is an interesting scenario! My wife has 1 fist name and 2 middle names; perhaps USCIS entered it differently than how we entered it on our application. I will explore this possibility. Thank you for your post, and could you tell me how you found out exactly how your name is written with USCIS!

=========

=========

=========

Hi Everyone... Our case was a K-1. We went to the local SS office to apply for the SS# 10 days after arrival; they gave us a letter saying that it will take up to 4 weeks to verify info with USCIS. It's now almost 3 MONTHS; and when we called to inquire, they say, "it's in progress".

Does anyone have this kind of experience, or have some reasonable explanation for this long of a delay in getting an SS#? Appreciate your feedback!! Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

I would go back and check on its status. They may be able to get you a printout of the number. I would take all information with you again. If there was a problem with the first application, you will need the EAD or GC in order to satisfy the SSA since the I-94 is now expired. My wife's SSC was returned due to a post office issue. We just happened to be at the local office to cancel my Mother's SSN so we checked on hers while there. It was funny that the same clerk waited on both of us.

Did you apply in the VISA name or married name? If married name, then the clerk did a verification on that name and it will not match the USCIS information and thus is stuck until you re-apply using the EAD or GC and the name that is on that document.

Dave

• 1 month later...
Timeline

We received the EAD card, and took it back to the SSN office; they were able to issue a number based on the EAD. So looks like we finally finish with SSN and should get it in the mail next week.

=========

=========

=========

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.