flootytooty

Process actually going TOO fast.... Advice needed

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hello everyone. New poster, long-time lurker. :)

My fiance has to finish his probationary year of teaching over in Scotland before he can move here, so we have set our wedding date for July 31, 2016. I was reading up on processing times and looking at all of the available info, I was under the impression we would be sent through the TX Service Center (I'm in VA), which as everyone knows, moves a lot slower than CA. We sent our package in in late June and when I received the NOA1, imagine my surprise when I saw we were sent to CA. Since the K-1 is only good for 6 months, we didn't want to have it in hand until at least February. I just got an RFE which means CA is already adjudicating our package. I realize I can drag my feet a bit getting the RFE info back since they've given me until Oct, but is there a way my fiance can drag his feet a bit too without jeopardizing our potential final approval? When they contact him to schedule the interview, could he ask for one in February? Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if'n you use a pc, there's the 'advanced search' tool.

which, in and of itself, is awesome, amazing and oh So Handy-Dandy, Neeto-Keen (Yet Spiffy) !

seriously, if'n yer trying to do real research here, unplug the handphone, remove the battery, and switch to a pc with an internet connection*

*or I call yer Mumsie, complain a bit..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Hello everyone. New poster, long-time lurker. :)

My fiance has to finish his probationary year of teaching over in Scotland before he can move here, so we have set our wedding date for July 31, 2016. I was reading up on processing times and looking at all of the available info, I was under the impression we would be sent through the TX Service Center (I'm in VA), which as everyone knows, moves a lot slower than CA. We sent our package in in late June and when I received the NOA1, imagine my surprise when I saw we were sent to CA. Since the K-1 is only good for 6 months, we didn't want to have it in hand until at least February. I just got an RFE which means CA is already adjudicating our package. I realize I can drag my feet a bit getting the RFE info back since they've given me until Oct, but is there a way my fiance can drag his feet a bit too without jeopardizing our potential final approval? When they contact him to schedule the interview, could he ask for one in February? Thanks in advance!

Yes he can slow it down. It works a little differently with a London K1 than was described in that other thread. They will not contact him as you suggested above, nor will he get a choice of dates. The visa will only be good for 6 months from the medical date so keep that in mind. If the interview is after the petition expiration date, London requires a new letter of intent written by the US fiancé. It is brought to the interview. There is no prior request or letter of extension they would send you. It's easy and not something to worry about.

Three things must happen to be interview eligible for London. Be slow about each of those steps to drag out the time.

1) DS-160 visa application submitted (wait maybe two months after London letter received)

2) Medical results received by embassy (schedule appointment for Feb. for a visa good until Aug.)

3) Readiness for interview form submitted to embassy. (As soon as you have made medical appointment.)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Yes he can slow it down. It works a little differently with a London K1 than was described in that other thread. They will not contact him as you suggested above, nor will he get a choice of dates. The visa will only be good for 6 months from the medical date so keep that in mind. If the interview is after the petition expiration date, London requires a new letter of intent written by the US fiancé. It is brought to the interview. There is no prior request or letter of extension they would send you. It's easy and not something to worry about.

Three things must happen to be interview eligible for London. Be slow about each of those steps to drag out the time.

1) DS-160 visa application submitted (wait maybe two months after London letter received)

2) Medical results received by embassy (schedule appointment for Feb. for a visa good until Aug.)

3) Readiness for interview form submitted to embassy. (As soon as you have made medical appointment.)

Thank you so much. You've helped more than you know. :)

Thank you so much. You've helped more than you know. :)

And of course delay that NOA2 by not responding to the RFE immediately. Another thing is everybody in K1 forums says you MUST call NVC after NOA2 to find out when your case arrives and what your new case number is. They redial for hours and hang on hold forever.

NO, you don't have to do that. That is for people who think they will speed their case up if they find out that information early. Just sit back and wait for London to send a letter of instruction (packet 3) to him. It will have the new case number. NVC will also mail you a letter saying the new number, but they are so slow to get those out that your fiancé could already his letter before you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

And of course delay that NOA2 by not responding to the RFE immediately. Another thing is everybody in K1 forums says you MUST call NVC after NOA2 to find out when your case arrives and what your new case number is. They redial for hours and hang on hold forever.

NO, you don't have to do that. That is for people who think they will speed their case up if they find out that information early. Just sit back and wait for London to send a letter of instruction (packet 3) to him. It will have the new case number. NVC will also mail you a letter saying the new number, but they are so slow to get those out that your fiancé could already his letter before you.

Great! They are giving me till October to get the RFE back so I will wait until late September. Again, I appreciate the info. I'll pass all of this along to my fiance. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.