MandL

Applying for AOS

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I just want to ask if how soon I need to file for AOS after we get married?

Can I also file AOS together withy Permit to work form?

Also I would like to know if we need to send the forms to the same address where we sent the Petition before?

Thank's :)

Timeline

You must apply for AOS before the I-94 expires. If you cannot file on time, file as soon as possible as this will be your only document of your legal presence in the U.S. after entering on a K1 Visa.

And yes, you can apply for the I-765: Application for Employment Authorization Document / Work Permit (EAD) at the same time.

Edited by Alexa062214

Timeline
Send your AOS Package to:

USCIS Chicago Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:

USCIS

PO Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For Express mail and courier deliveries:

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

You must apply for AOS before the I-94 expires.

You are mistaken. There is no time limit for a K-1 visa holder who enters and marries their fiancé/e within 90 days of PoE. However, the alien will be out of status from the day their I-94 expires to the day that USCIS accept their I-485 for processing, and could be detained by ICE during that period, since they are deportable.

OP, you should follow the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=k1k3aos and understand that whilst it isn't required that you file for AoS within 90 days, it's highly recommended.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

You are mistaken. There is no time limit for a K-1 visa holder who enters and marries their fiancé/e within 90 days of PoE. However, the alien will be out of status from the day their I-94 expires to the day that USCIS accept their I-485 for processing, and could be detained by ICE during that period, since they are deportable.

OP, you should follow the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=k1k3aos and understand that whilst it isn't required that you file for AoS within 90 days, it's highly recommended.

Yes, that is what I meant. Which is why I gave her the option to 'file as soon as possible as this will be your only document of your legal presence in the U.S. after entering on a K1 Visa.'

Apologies if that was unclear.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Letting your I-94 expire and being out of status has no consequences unless you have plans to leave the country and then come back on your AP, which would be problematic while out of status. USCIS accepts and processes AOS from out of status immigrants no problem.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I just want to ask if how soon I need to file for AOS after we get married?

Can I also file AOS together withy Permit to work form?

Also I would like to know if we need to send the forms to the same address where we sent the Petition before?

Thank's :)

There is not a stated time limitation for filing the I-485. You can file the I-131 (Advance Parole) and the I-765 (Employment Authorization) for free at the same time as you file the I-485. Do know that once your I-94 expires (90 days) that you will be out of status, and that your Legal Permanent Resident status does not start until your I-485 is approved.

Address for filing is stated on the USCIS website for Adjustment of Status, I-485. It is not the same address as when filing the petition.

You must apply for AOS before the I-94 expires. If you cannot file on time, file as soon as possible as this will be your only document of your legal presence in the U.S. after entering on a K1 Visa.

And yes, you can apply for the I-765: Application for Employment Authorization Document / Work Permit (EAD) at the same time.

There is not a stated time for filing the I-485, there is rumor that USCIS is working on changing that, but hasn't happened yet.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thank's everyone for Reply :)

If I get it right once married I need to file AOS, EAD and AP Am I right?

Is there Fee for filing Those?

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.