MandyP AUS

Australian Federal Police check issues

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I've been having some issues applying for an AFP check.

First up, your local police station will have no idea on what you need, you have to have INK finger prints done so don't believe them when they say you can just have scanned prints, the AFP wont accept it and they'll just charge you for a name check (wasted $42 there).

Second, give the ink finger prints more than a week to actually reach the AFP. Otherwise they will once again charge you only for a name check (another $42 wasted).

Has anyone else had this problem?

K1 Visa journey - I am the beneficiary

07/28/2014 - 129F sent TX lockbox

08/07/2014 - NOA1. Processing at Texas Service Center

03/03/2015 - NOA2 email (208 days)

03/20/2015 - NVC case number assigned

03/26/2015 - Consulate received

04/28/2015 - INTERVIEW at Sydney Embassy....VISA APPROVED

04/29/2015 - Visa issued and passport transferred to courier to be returned to me

05/18/2015- POE LAX

05/30/2015- "got legalled" civil ceremony

06/16/2015 - sent Adjustment of Status and Employment Authorization Permit application

06/22/2015 - NOA1 for AoS and EAP

08/01/2015 - Wedding

event.png
event.png

Timeline

CORRECTION!!!!

Don't let the local police station you go to talk you into getting "Scanned" print and don't let them walk away with your ink prints. A HARD COPY must be attached to your AFP check application.

Local Police do will not know what you are supposed to do so have the application filled out, attached the photo copies of your ID and take printed copy of the following website

http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

and highlight this paragraph!!!

"Where a fingerprint check is required, it is your responsibility to obtain a full set of fingerprints from your local police jurisdiction. The original of the fingerprints must be posted with your completed application form. Please note that fingerprints taken using a "Livescan" system cannot be accepted."

Edited by MandyP AUS

04/29/2015 - Visa issued and passport transferred to courier to be returned to me

05/18/2015- POE LAX

06/16/2015 - sent Adjustment of Status and Employment Authorization Permit application

08/01/2015 - Wedding

event.png
event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Australia regional - topic is specific to getting a PC in Australia ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

CORRECTION!!!!

Don't let the local police station you go to talk you into getting "Scanned" print and don't let them walk away with your ink prints. A HARD COPY must be attached to your AFP check application.

Local Police do will not know what you are supposed to do so have the application filled out, attached the photo copies of your ID and take printed copy of the following website

http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

and highlight this paragraph!!!

"Where a fingerprint check is required, it is your responsibility to obtain a full set of fingerprints from your local police jurisdiction. The original of the fingerprints must be posted with your completed application form. Please note that fingerprints taken using a "Livescan" system cannot be accepted."

Hi there MandyP :)

I'm also from Australia and sort of confused on how to apply for my police certificate, I'm currently in Sydney..

Okay, so I've filled out the form but I'm confused whether I also need a Fingerprint check too because it's got an option for a name check only as well or do I need both?

And how did you convince them that you needed the original of the fingerprints?

Timeline

Hi Shani & Koonj,

It says somewhere in the pack 3 you need a name check and finger print by the AFP (not NSW).

I printed out this webpage (http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx) and highlighted the part that says "Where a fingerprint check is required, it is your responsibility to obtain a full set of fingerprints from your local police jurisdiction. The original of the fingerprints must be posted with your completed application form. Please note that fingerprints taken using a "Livescan" system cannot be accepted."

I also had the form and all documents ready to go in an addressed and stamped envelop so they could mail it if they refused to give it to me.

The Policeman I was dealing with was confused and had to check with a supervisor but they released it to me without much arguing.

Just know that the AFP will charge you for just a name check if you don't get the finger prints right. and then when it comes to your interview you'll be given an "addition information required" thing and it'll take longer to get your visa.

GOOD LUCK!

05/18/2015- POE LAX

08/01/2015 - Wedding

event.png
event.png

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Shani & Koonj,

It says somewhere in the pack 3 you need a name check and finger print by the AFP (not NSW).

I printed out this webpage (http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx) and highlighted the part that says "Where a fingerprint check is required, it is your responsibility to obtain a full set of fingerprints from your local police jurisdiction. The original of the fingerprints must be posted with your completed application form. Please note that fingerprints taken using a "Livescan" system cannot be accepted."

I also had the form and all documents ready to go in an addressed and stamped envelop so they could mail it if they refused to give it to me.

The Policeman I was dealing with was confused and had to check with a supervisor but they released it to me without much arguing.

Just know that the AFP will charge you for just a name check if you don't get the finger prints right. and then when it comes to your interview you'll be given an "addition information required" thing and it'll take longer to get your visa.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi MandyP,

Thanks for all your help, gee Visa Journey is a lifesaver!!

I went down to the local Police Station today..took my filled out form, a pre-paid envelope and supporting ID Documents that were certified..

A police officer did my fingerprints and I paid about $42 for them. They sent off the fingerprints in the envelope I provided them today..

Hoping for the National police check to arrive in 2-3 weeks..

Good luck to you seeing as you still haven't gotten your approval yet!! :clock: Why are they sooo slowwww :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys,

I'm from Sydney and went to my local police station.

When you go to NSW National Police Checks Online, it says this:

"This service allows NSW residents aged 14 years and above to apply online for a National Police Certificate for visa, adoption, employment (including authorisation as an authorised carer), approval as a household member of an authorised carer, some occupational licensing purposes, student placements and for volunteers working in Commonwealth supported aged-care facilities."

"Individuals requiring a criminal record check for Australian citizenship, residency, spouse visa, guardianship of a child from another country, working visa or whilst travelling or living abroad, must apply via the Australian Federal Police (AFP). Details on applying for a criminal record check via the AFP is available at www.afp.gov.au"

I didn't want to take any chances so went ahead with the $175 name, DOB and fingerprint check.

They just scanned my fingerprints (I did not leave with anything besides a receipt) and a week or so later I received the confirmation which I took with me to the consulate just in case. The confirmation will go to the consulate directly.

K1

5 Mar 2014: I-129F petition sent to Lewisville TX lockbox
11 Mar 2014: NOA1 (Petition forwarded to California Service Center)
13 Mar 2014: NOA2 received
21 Apr 2014: NVC received package, assigned case number
29 Apr 2014: Packet 3 received

13 May 2014: Medical
27 May 2014: Interview, approval
29 May 2014: Visa issued
28 Jul 2014: US Arrival

12 Aug 2014: Marriage

AOS

29 Aug 2014: Filed I-485, I-765, I-131 to Chicago IL lockbox

3 Sep 2014: NOA received (I-485, I-765, I-131)

5 Sep 2014: ASC Appointment Notice (Biometric)

23 Sep 2014: Biometric Appointment

9 Oct 2014: I-765 / I-131 - Card/Document Production

20 Oct 2014: EAD/AP Combo Card Received

11 Dec 2014: Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case

30 Jun 2015: Filed EAD/AP Combo Card Renewal

28 Jul 2015: I-485 Card/Document Production and Decision

24 Aug 2015: I-485 Received

ROC

3 May 2017 (90 days before expiry): Filed I-751 to VSC (USPS Priority)

6 May 2017: USCIS Received

16 May 2017: USCIS Cashed Check

18 May 2017: I-797 Received

21 Jun 2017: Biometric Appointment

29 May 2018: NOA Approval Notice

5 Jun 2018: I-551 Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.