tei

Stamp/notary for certified translations (129f)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

My fiancee is fluent in both Romanian (native) and English. I have seen several posts where people have translated their own documents for the 129F application. My question is:

If my fiancee translates her own documents, is it necessary to get the papers notarized (by a notary) or stamped by a liscensed translator?

I am asking this because if no official stamps or notorizations are necessary, it seems that anyone could translate the papers, even if they are not qualified, and just sign and date them using the certification declarations others on this site have posted. This does not seem like it would be acceptible. Any more information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you, Jeff

Living in NE Romania with Fiance and her Son.

3-27-2006 I-129F Sent : to Nebraska Service Center

4-12-2006 I-129F NOA1 :

6-1-2006 Touched sort of...... sent to CSC (California Service Center) like many others

6-14-2006 CSC emailed me a notice of receipt of my 129f (transfered from NSC)

6-17-2006 Touched

7-3-2006 IMBRA RFE received at home

7-5-2006 Mailed IMBRA RFE back, Also my file was touched for the first time since 6-17

7-13-2006 Received email that IMBRA RFE was received by CSC

7-14-2006 Touched

8-10-2006 I-129F NOA2 APPROVED !!! (no touches before approval, as many have spoke of)

9-08-2006 NVC case approved:

: I started calling the NVC automated line about 2 weeks after NOA2. They never had any information for me or acknoledged that they received our case, so I sent an email to the NVC on 9-01-2006. On 9-08-2006 I received a reply to that email saying that our case was processed and forwarded to the US Embassy (Romania) on 8-31-2006. They also included the case number in the reply to my email inquiry. I guess I would have not been notified by the NVC..... very strange.

9-6-2006 Romanian Embassy received our K1 paperwork.

9-11-2006 Received packet 3 in the mail

10-11-2006 Set appointment for interview by calling the Romanian Embassy !!! ONLY SET AN APPOINTMENT AFTER HAVE ALL DOCMUMENTS ARE COMPLETE !!!

10-18-06 Visa interview - Visa granted :)

11-7-06 Welcome to America

It is not a requirement to have translations done by a certified translator. Anyone fluent and conversant in both the language and english is all that is required. However at interview level I have noted the odd member that has been asked to resubmit translations of a document such as birth certificate that were originally translated by someone not certified.

From USCIS http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/

Documents Not in English:

All documents that are in a language other than English must be submitted with a translation. The person translating the document must certify that the translation is complete and accurate and that he/she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English

13. Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and type language languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled name document.

Signature

Date

Typed Name

Address

There is no mention anywhere with USCIS that a Certified Translator has to be used. So its up to you.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

tei, I can understand your confusion and from aussiewench posted it would seem it is acceptable and up to you to decide.

Now, as someone who is fluent in english, in this particular process where it is really important to shorten the time it takes to get done everything you must do to be with your loved one- I, personally will not risk it... even with the substantial cost of certified translations, I`m gettting it done for both, the birth and police ceritificates- especially, since for a minimum cost you can get several copies of those, as you will need them in the future AOS part of the process...

why potentialy risk a delay when you don`t have to...

Naturalized! Yeah!

.png

Filed: Timeline

aussiewench,

Interesting that the USCIS-approved certification statement does use the word "fluent". Fluency is not necessary for translating documents - literacy is.

Yodrak

It is not a requirement to have translations done by a certified translator. Anyone fluent and conversant in both the language and english is all that is required. However at interview level I have noted the odd member that has been asked to resubmit translations of a document such as birth certificate that were originally translated by someone not certified.

All documents that are in a language other than English must be submitted with a translation. The person translating the document must certify that the translation is complete and accurate and that he/she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English

13. Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and type language languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled name document.

Signature

Date

Typed Name

Address

There is no mention anywhere with USCIS that a Certified Translator has to be used. So its up to you.

hahahaha I tend to agree

aussiewench,

Interesting that the USCIS-approved certification statement does use the word "fluent". Fluency is not necessary for translating documents - literacy is.

Yodrak

Signature

Date

Typed Name

Address

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.