mrszorak44

CFO Seminar Experience

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I just want to share my CFO Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar experience.

I've read a lot of "horror" stories about the CFO Seminar and to be honest with you guys, I was a little nervous with this CFO counseling - BUT, it turned out very well. The seminar was very informative and maybe for some it was a bad experience, it was different for me. Here's my story:

After completing the requirements and the online appointment registration of CFO, I went to my scheduled seminar at the CFO Office in Manila. I brought with me the required documents from the CFO website and reading from fellow Filipino VJ Members - I also brought with me some pertinent documents to prove our genuine love and relationship:

- Photos of me and my fiancé together;

- The whole I-134 packet and some emails that we compiled from the I-129F packet;

- My fiancé's divorce decree;

- NSO birth certificate;

- Personal copy of my NBI clearance;

I was at the CFO office by 5:30 am and there were already a few people in line. I lined up at the ramp, knowing this is where I should be falling in line (thank you for the tip from fellow VJ members). By 6:30 am, they started to let people in. If you are planning to take somebody with you - don't. They won't allow other people inside except for the ones attending the seminar. If you plan to take your foreign fiancé with you, they won't be allowed either.

CFO no longer accepts walk-in applicants. So you really need to go to their Online Appointment System to register and to complete the registration form. Save all of them in PDF format and print.

Once I gave all of the documents asked at the front desk, I was given an ID with the letter "F" on it. Then we were asked to go to the third floor of the building. Upon your entry on the third floor, you are given a form in which you need to complete. You should know the details about your fiancé: his address, his birthdate, his mother's maiden name, if he / she was divorced you should be able to provide when he / she was married and divorced; the nationality of his / her former ex husband or wife. Submit all of your documents and be ready to be asked for a few questions. Here are the questions that were asked to me:

- Do I already have my visa?

- Am I currently working?

- My job title;

- Where did I go to college and the course that I took;

After a little questioning, your picture will be taken for the Guidance and Counseling Certificate. The lady will tell you which room you should wait for the seminar. The room you're assigned to is the room where you'll be migrating out of the Philippines. (Example: If you're going to the US, then you'll be in the USA room. If you're migrating to Canada, then you'll be in the Canada room.)

By 8:30am, a lady entered the USA room, we were told that she'll begin her one-on-one interview with the applicants and by 9 am, we'll proceed with the Guidance and Counseling Seminar then proceed again to those applicants who have not been called for their one-on-one interview yet.

I was blessed to be called early before the seminar. The counselor's name is Thea Rabe - a very nice lady and very professional. The questions that she'll be asking are mostly based on the information that you provided in the form that you filled out. I was asked the following questions:

- How did me and my fiancé meet;

- Did we ever meet in person;

- Our religion;

- How long have we known each other;

- Why did he got divorced;

- What is the nationality of his ex-wife;

- When was the date when he got divorced;

- What did my parents think of our engagement;

- What does my fiancé do for a living;

- What do I do for a living;

After these questions were asked (and a few more other questions that I can't remember) I was told that based on my answers, she don't see anything wrong or to be concerned about our relationship. She told me that I'll get my CFO sticker and my Guidance and Counseling Certificate once the seminar is over.

Ms. Thea did not ask anything from me - she did not ask for my fiancé's divorce decree, she did not ask for pictures. No problem at all. And that made me happy and blessed!

I headed back to the USA room to listen to the two-hour seminar. It was very informative - it will tell you what you need to do when you are in the US. What you can do if your partner starts to be beat you and what number you can call. She will discuss your rights and options for you in case it did not turn out good for you once you are in the US.

Once the seminar is over, we were asked to go down to the first floor and pay for the fee of 400 Pesos. Give your passport to the cashier and keep your receipt. Wait for your name to be called and once called, show your receipt, check your name if it is typed in correctly and the country of your destination.

Once everything is in order, surrender the ID that was given to you and don't forget your ID that you gave the person at the front desk. And that's it! A very long and tiring day but it was all worth it.

I hope this review is helpful to those of you who are about to take their CFO seminars. God bless everyone!

Useful links:

CFO website

Online Pre-Registration

CFO Online Guidance and Counseling Program Appointment Registration Form

What is impossible with men is possible with God - Luke 18:27

Spoiler

Our Timeline

February 27, 2017 Biometrics Appointment

February 17, 2017 Received NOA2 - ASC Appointment Letter

February 9, 2017 Received NOA1

February 7, 2017 I-751 check payment has been cashed

January 31, 2017 Mailed I-751 packet

March 21, 2015 Received green card in mail - Thank You, Lord.

March 16, 2015 Received Welcome Letter in mail

March 10, 2015 Text message and email received: Green card is in production - did not receive any interview waiver letter and no interview.

December 19, 2014 EAD card received

December 18, 2014 Email update: EAD card is mailed

December 11, 2014 Received email: EAD card in producion

December 2, 2014 Biometrics appointment

November 22, 2014 Received biometrics appointment for AOS and EAD

September 30, 2014 Received NOA1 (I-797C) for AOS and EAD

September 26, 2014 Email and text AOS acceptance notification received (around midnight)

September 19, 2014 AOS and EAD sent

September 11, 2014 Received Social Security Card

September 10, 2014 Civil Surgeon

September 4, 2014 Name change on Social Security Number

August 23, 2014 Wedding Day!

August 8, 2014 Applied for Social Security Number; got marriage license

July 25, 2014 Port of Entry: Chicago

May 16, 2014 CFO seminar

May 13, 2014 Visa on hand

May 5, 2014 Interview: approved

March 13, 2014 Medical exam - third day (went back to St. Lukes for Tdap vaccine)

February 24, 2014 Appointment letter received

February 14, 2014 Medical exam - second day (vaccine day)

February 13, 2014 Medical exam - first day

January 29, 2014 Case received by consulate

January 9, 2014 Case left NVC

December 13, 2013 NOA2

October 18, 2013 NOA1

October 14, 2013 I-129F sent

July 19, 2013 Got engaged!

Nice review. Same as the experience my wife had.

Just want to share that you can take a companion with you. They may not be able to go inside for the seminar, but there is a waiting area in the basement/parking area. With a/c and a tv. I got tired of sitting in the little room, so i spent some time outside, but i had a fair amount of freedom to move around. There were some other foreigners there outside waiting as well.

Nice review. Same as the experience my wife had.

Just want to share that you can take a companion with you. They may not be able to go inside for the seminar, but there is a waiting area in the basement/parking area. With a/c and a tv. I got tired of sitting in the little room, so i spent some time outside, but i had a fair amount of freedom to move around. There were some other foreigners there outside waiting as well.

Oh that's great! I was thinking how bad it was for some people waiting outside with the extreme heat! :)

Spoiler

Our Timeline

March 10, 2015 Text message and email received: Green card is in production - did not receive any interview waiver letter and no interview.

September 26, 2014 Email and text AOS acceptance notification received (around midnight)

May 16, 2014 CFO seminar

March 13, 2014 Medical exam - third day (went back to St. Lukes for Tdap vaccine)

December 13, 2013 NOA2

October 18, 2013 NOA1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for a good review. A few questions:

1. Did you need the NBI? I never heard of that being asked for.

2. Did you really need to get there at 5:30? They tell you to be there at 7:30. At what time does the length of the line get really silly? With a limit of 70 people per session, how long can the line actually get?

I already downloaded the registration form, filled it out and emaild it to Candy. Hopefully that will save her some time.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

2. Did you really need to get there at 5:30? They tell you to be there at 7:30. At what time does the length of the line get really silly? With a limit of 70 people per session, how long can the line actually get?

I already downloaded the registration form, filled it out and emaild it to Candy. Hopefully that will save her some time.

1) Nope NBI is not requested, some bring it as another form of ID being it has a picture on it.

2) Now that CFO is doing things by appointment there is no need to show up super early. I think you are looking at the wrong chart, seating is only 30 per session (except Thurs & Fri) according to the press release, was 15 per session before that.

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/images/Press_Release_on_CFO_Online_Appointment_System_2014.pdf

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I was not asked for the NBI Clearance during the registration. I think the NBI clearance is another form of identification for those who can't provide 2 ID's. Since the NBI clearance is government issued, it's valid and it has your fiancée's photograph, then it's a form of identification.

I guess I did not have to be there at 5:30 am, I was just making sure that I'll be guaranteed a slot at the Guidance and Counseling Seminar. Some applicants got there at around 6:00 am and they were still accommodated. Now that the CFO has an online appointment system, applicants don't have to wait in line that early. And CFO no longer accepts walk-in applicants as what we have been told by the counselor during my seminar.

Around 5:30 am, there were about 20 or more people waiting at the CFO Office. I thought that I won't have a slot since there were a lot of people ahead of me and the online appointment failed it's purpose - but I was still accommodated. It turns out that there were only 15 of us in total for the K1 and Spouse Visa going to the US. And the rest are going to a different country like Canada, New Zealand, etc. who still needs to attend the seminar.

I don't know where you got the information about 70 slots but you can get the number of available slots in the morning and afternoon session here.

Accomplishing the forms ahead of time will benefit your fiancée a lot - it saves so much time and she can get ahead of everybody.

Spoiler

Our Timeline

May 16, 2014 CFO seminar

December 13, 2013 NOA2

October 18, 2013 NOA1

Timeline

Thanks everyone. Maybe I was wrong about the 70. I guess it is 30. EIther way Candy already has a confirmed appointment for May 21. And I will tell her about the NBI being accepted as the second photo ID. She may need it since USEM will relieve her of her passport when she goes there May 20.

She was planning on arriving there at 7 AM. I suppose with a confirmed appointment she should be OK.

Hi guys! Im planning to have my cfo seminar tom. I have CR1 VISA. What docs do i need to fill up online? I thought its first come first served? So its through registration and online scheduling now? Pls reply... Thanks!

I only have to choose 1 right? I dont need the predeparture seminar, just the peer counselling? It says they will a commodate 25 slots per day.

Hi guys! Im planning to have my cfo seminar tom. I have CR1 VISA. What docs do i need to fill up online? I thought its first come first served? So its through registration and online scheduling now? Pls reply... Thanks!

Hello! You just need your passport number and the visa number for the appointment and filling up the registration form - the rest of the information needed are pretty much easy. Mostly details about you and your wife / husband. Before it was first come and first serve, but they changed it now so you don't have to line-up as early as 3am just to secure a spot.

I only have to choose 1 right? I dont need the predeparture seminar, just the peer counselling? It says they will a commodate 25 slots per day.

I think for fiancé(e) and spouse visas, the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar is needed (I think it's the same as the Guidance and Counseling Seminar) - That's what I took as a fiancée, and there were people in my class during the seminar are under the spouse visa.

Spoiler

Our Timeline

May 16, 2014 CFO seminar

December 13, 2013 NOA2

October 18, 2013 NOA1

Thanks! I have a big prob regarding this CFO seminar. I went to their online appointment and I got a sched on 23 9AM. I'll be coming from tacloban and my flight is 8am. I wont be there on time. Anyone knows how to reschedule it or cancel it? Pls i need your help... Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can read the CFO info in my link, it may help (yes I know you are not K-1, but CFO is for ALL so the info is for all). There are 60 slots per day, except Thursday and Friday.

As of 15 May CFO is done by appointment only, info in my link. As for what docs are needed I have tried to list everything in my link.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thanks! I have a big prob regarding this CFO seminar. I went to their online appointment and I got a sched on 23 9AM. I'll be coming from tacloban and my flight is 8am. I wont be there on time. Anyone knows how to reschedule it or cancel it? Pls i need your help... Thanks!

Try calling them. The online appointment is new and touchy as it is, and I don't see a way to change the date on it.

Can you make your flight one day earlier? Might actually be easier than trying to move the CFO date.

Yeah what AI said, try calling them and see if they can accommodate you in their afternoon seminar or fly in a day early and book a hotel nearby.

Spoiler

Our Timeline

May 16, 2014 CFO seminar

December 13, 2013 NOA2

October 18, 2013 NOA1

Thanks! I called them. They cant change the sched. What they did was cancel the appointment that I made and told me to make a new one. So my new sched now is 21st 2 PM. I had to cancel my trip to leyte. Hay...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.