I love San Diego

Trouble obtaining birth certificate in China

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Apparently before 1997 birth certificates were not a normal thing in China. My fiance seems to be having trouble getting this. She said her father passed away 13 years ago, and she does not have the documents and cannot make a birth certificate. I think there might be a communication problem, because I am sure other people in this situation have obtained a birth certificate. Can anyone shed some light on this? Yes I told her about the household book, she insists she needs documents pertaining to her fathers death that are no longer available.

Thank you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Apparently before 1997 birth certificates were not a normal thing in China. My fiance seems to be having trouble getting this. She said her father passed away 13 years ago, and she does not have the documents and cannot make a birth certificate. I think there might be a communication problem, because I am sure other people in this situation have obtained a birth certificate. Can anyone shed some light on this? Yes I told her about the household book, she insists she needs documents pertaining to her fathers death that are no longer available.

Thank you.

She needs to present her hukou (household registry) and her Chinese ID. What did they tell her when she asked for one at the Gong Zheng Chu?

Chinese Notarial Documents - see DOS China Reciprocity Schedule

NOTE: Try http://travel.state..../fees_3272.html or go to http://travel.state.gov/ and search for "Reciprocity by Country" (they seem to change this periodically)

Most of the documents needed can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates. Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats

The documents required are the GongZhengShu 公证书

Sample application for documents (your province or hukou may vary):

http://www.bnpo.gov....72115331419.doc

http://www.bnpo.gov....ide/detail1.asp

A discussion of the huji (or hukou 户口) system can be found at Hukou System. Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline

I asked her more. She is in Xinjiang, she said they told her that her hukou and ID card were insufficient to obtain a birth certificate. They are asking for information about her father and mother, and her fathers death record is not on file or something, it is no longer obtainable. We are not sure what to do... I do not believe that it is just impossible to get a birth certificate.

Thanks for the help

Edited by I love San Diego

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Did she try to obtain the birth certificate in the area where her hukou is registered?

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if she lives and works 'not in her hukuo district/city' then of course she is going to have travel problems.

I can only think there is something amiss with her current hukuo book.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Sorry to hijack the tread. But I thought my question fit here.

My wife got a letter from the beijing police department stating she had no criminal record. And brought that along with her hukou and Chinese ID card to the notary republic.

What she got back when finished was anotarization of the police letter, and another notarization of her birth information,( birthday, parents, and ID numbers).

But they kept the original copy of the police letter.

Will this suffice at interview time?

According to Chinese law these notarizations are bound by law.

Will the consulate see it that way?

Thank you!

Edited by dilemina

Timeline

notarized,

or translated into english

or

a notarial translation of an original document, bound into a white book, showing a now notarized copy of the original document inside the white book, with attestation that the original tallies with the contents shown herein ?

I'm hoping a white book was produced.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Yes. Two notarized white books, with English translations that were sworn under the notary republic.

One with birth information, one stating no criminal record.

But no photocopies or original documents.

When we got our marriage certificate notarized, they also photo copied our original one and put the copies in the white book. And of course, gave us our original documents back.

They didn't do that with the police letter. But all the police letter was, was a written statement, signed by a police officer stating that there my wife had no criminal record. And the original letter was not returned or photocopied.

So was wondering if this was all we give, when regarding the police report and birth certificate.

Edited by dilemina

Timeline

ya, that's how it's done, red marriage book vs police letter vs birth record.

No worries, yer golden.

Why are you golden, you ask? If you read the white book police report, the english version, the translators attestation bits, you should see what it's not needed. Also, there's the 'chain of evidence' stuff, where the original is not returned but is listed in the white book.

Sounds like you gots the right white books, don't fret this stuff.

Timeline

Hello buddies, I got some emails on this thread so I thought I should update people. My fiance got her birth certificate, I guess she just had to get some more paperwork from other places. I guess the requirements differ a little bit in Xinjiang since they have some security issues.

Timeline

ya know, I was thinking about that as well, but was not sure it would be any issue.

Good on her for getting it done !

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.