Maya&Matt

Emergency AP

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi all,

I wanted to share my story in case it could help someone one day. I have been granted an emergency AP due to a family emergency that happened on January 28th. By then, I was with AOS, EAD and AP pending and I had the biometrics appointment the following week (6th Feb). That day my mother called me with terrible news, my father had been rushed into the hospital to have an emergency open heart surgery, and there was a very high risk he wouldn't survive the surgery or the post operatory. I managed to go back into the forums of visajourney, and find a case of an emergency AP (I had read it just the night before...). We called USCIS who could only grant me an expedite AP (which would still take at least 5 days) and we also tried an infopass, but it was for 2 weeks later. So my husband and I took all the documents I had read about on the visajourney thread and went to the local office (NYC). We went through security quite fast as it was already around 2pm and the line was pretty short. The first woman we talked to was quite rude and didn't want to let us go see an officer upstairs. But finally she agreed to call her supervisor and sent us upstairs. After a short wait, an officer called our number and we explained him our situation. He was very nice and understanding. But he said I needed the biometrics done to get the AP, so he called the office of the biometrics and told them it was an emergency. We went straight there and I had my biometrics taken after a few minutes (there was absolutely no one else in the office). However I couldn't get the AP that same day as it was too late to go back to the USCIS office. The officer had told us to come back the next morning with the biometrics done and a proof of my father's situation. The next morning we went back very early (go there as soon as they open, otherwise there is a huge line later on), and we took the following documents:

- the I-131 form filled (explaining the situation)

- the 3 NOA's we had

- my passport

- 2 pictures

- the biometrics letter

- a letter from the hospital (in English)

We asked to talk to the same officer as he had kept some of my documents the day before. He was very nice again, and after what seemed a long time to me, he granted me the emergency AP and gave it to me right there.

I was able to take a flight that same afternoon and got to Spain the following morning. My father survived the surgery and after a few days at the intensive care unit he was out of danger. He is now back home (after spending over 3 weeks at the hospital) and slowly recovering.

I wanted to thank all the visajourney members, without your help, I wouldn't have known I could try to get an emergency AP, I would have left the US anyway and now I would have to start all over the long process to be back with my love.

If you are ever in the same situation. Just GO TO YOUR LOCAL OFFICE. You can't loose anything for trying. If they don't want to let you in, keep insisting until they do. Make sure you have all the documents I mentioned and insist until you see an officer.

Thanks again visajourney :)

Maya

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
(F)

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I wanted to share my story in case it could help someone one day. I have been granted an emergency AP due to a family emergency that happened on January 28th. By then, I was with AOS, EAD and AP pending and I had the biometrics appointment the following week (6th Feb). That day my mother called me with terrible news, my father had been rushed into the hospital to have an emergency open heart surgery, and there was a very high risk he wouldn't survive the surgery or the post operatory. I managed to go back into the forums of visajourney, and find a case of an emergency AP (I had read it just the night before...). We called USCIS who could only grant me an expedite AP (which would still take at least 5 days) and we also tried an infopass, but it was for 2 weeks later. So my husband and I took all the documents I had read about on the visajourney thread and went to the local office (NYC). We went through security quite fast as it was already around 2pm and the line was pretty short. The first woman we talked to was quite rude and didn't want to let us go see an officer upstairs. But finally she agreed to call her supervisor and sent us upstairs. After a short wait, an officer called our number and we explained him our situation. He was very nice and understanding. But he said I needed the biometrics done to get the AP, so he called the office of the biometrics and told them it was an emergency. We went straight there and I had my biometrics taken after a few minutes (there was absolutely no one else in the office). However I couldn't get the AP that same day as it was too late to go back to the USCIS office. The officer had told us to come back the next morning with the biometrics done and a proof of my father's situation. The next morning we went back very early (go there as soon as they open, otherwise there is a huge line later on), and we took the following documents:

- the I-131 form filled (explaining the situation)

- the 3 NOA's we had

- my passport

- 2 pictures

- the biometrics letter

- a letter from the hospital (in English)

We asked to talk to the same officer as he had kept some of my documents the day before. He was very nice again, and after what seemed a long time to me, he granted me the emergency AP and gave it to me right there.

I was able to take a flight that same afternoon and got to Spain the following morning. My father survived the surgery and after a few days at the intensive care unit he was out of danger. He is now back home (after spending over 3 weeks at the hospital) and slowly recovering.

I wanted to thank all the visajourney members, without your help, I wouldn't have known I could try to get an emergency AP, I would have left the US anyway and now I would have to start all over the long process to be back with my love.

If you are ever in the same situation. Just GO TO YOUR LOCAL OFFICE. You can't loose anything for trying. If they don't want to let you in, keep insisting until they do. Make sure you have all the documents I mentioned and insist until you see an officer.

Thanks again visajourney smile.gif

Maya

Hi Maya,

I too was recently approved for emergency AP. My question is, what happens to the EAD combo card? Will that still be mailed to me? What happens to the work authorization part of the application when you get an emergency AP?

Thanks for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi Maya,

I too was recently approved for emergency AP. My question is, what happens to the EAD combo card? Will that still be mailed to me? What happens to the work authorization part of the application when you get an emergency AP?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I received the EAD combo card via mail about 2 months after filling for AOS, you can see in my timeline the exact dates. I think I received it a little earlier than usual because I had done my biometrics a week or two before my appointment.

I did receive the normal combo card, with the EAD and AP. That was 2 years ago so I don't know if you will receive the same. After receiving the combo card, I traveled with it two times and only used the card entering the US. I took the paper AP just in case but they never asked for it.

Let me know if you have more questions. I hope everything is fine with you/your family.

Best,

Maya

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Working & Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.