riss

Medical Review - Melbourne

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Oops, I'll come back and post this properly later, sorry!

Edited by riss

Feb 24, 2012 - NOA1

Sep 5, 2012 - RFE

Oct 22, 2012 - RFE reply sent

Nov 5, 2012 - NOA2

Nov 27, 2012 - Packet 3 received

Timeline

Okay, so I had my medical today. Thought I'd share how it went while it's still in my head.

Bridge Rd Clinic is on Bridge Road, Port Melbourne, and you have to find all-day parking because you end up being in there for around two hours or a little more. It's easy enough to find spots on Bridge Rd itself, outside the clinic, and on the nearest cross road.

When I called to make the appointment I was asked to bring my passport, three passport photos (Australian size), and my vaccination history. They asked me to come early to fill in forms, so I arrived about half an hour early, which was nice because there were quite a few things to fill in and it was nice not to feel rushed. I gave the receptionist my passport photos and she attached them to the forms for me to fill in. The forms mostly involved putting in your name and birth date, passport number and case number in the right place (I had forgotten to bring my case number but they said it was fine), and then there was a quite detailed medical history part that consisted of lots and lots of check boxes asking if you had had any history of things including heart disease, mental or neurological illness, tuberculosis, smoking, addictions of any sort including alcohol, use of non-prescription drugs, etc., any kind of illness or injury requiring hospitalisation, and so forth.

The first thing I was asked to do was go into a change room, take off my upper clothing, and put on a hospital gown that they provided. I was asked to tie my hair up high on top of my head with a rubber band they provided (bring your own hair tie if you don't want your hair snagged!) and to take off my necklace, and to bring my passport when I was ready, and to leave my things in the change room. First stop was the radiographer, who was very friendly and avuncular. He took a chest x-ray, which involved me standing up with my face and chest against a board with my elbows out either side and pressed forward, then taking a deep breath while the x-ray was taken. That was pretty simple. Then I was sent out to put my clothes back on and I waited again on the change room bench.

Next stop was a blood test done by an efficient but friendly enough nurse, apparently this was for syphilis. Sent back to wait on another bench.

Next stop, another nurse who took my blood pressure, checked my eyesight, recorded my weight and height. Then another wait to see Dr Charles.

Dr Charles was friendly but brisk. He asked for my vaccination records and we discussed a couple of the points on the medical history I had filled in that I had questions about. He wanted clarification on some of the issues that I had ticked 'yes' to, i.e. that I had history of those medical issues, so I explained the detail of them - he seemed satisfied that they weren't matters for concern. He asked a few questions about what kind of work I did/had done previously. He had me lie down and take off my upper clothing to do a breast examination (my last one had been 18 months ago), and a groin check, pressing lightly on the right side and asking me to cough, and then doing the same on the left side. For these he called a female nurse in to be present as a third party. It was all very professional and non-threatening.

The only thing that I wasn't so pleased about was that at the end he said I would have to have more vaccinations done in the US. I had had a blood test done at my local GP and I thought I had everything covered, I'd had a shot for MMR, which I was missing. But he said that although my vaccinations were adequate for the K-1 visa, I still needed a second MMR shot, and also the TDap that I had had done a couple of years ago apparently wasn't adequate and I needed another one. I really had hoped to avoid doing any more medical work in the US. He said I could come and have them done at his clinic in a month's time (waiting period between MMR shots) - but I'm not sure if that will save me having to go through more paperwork and medical stuff when I get to the US. I wonder if it would have been prudent to go to him a couple of months ago to find out what was needed and get it done before the medical, so that all would have been in place.

Note also: I had read advice on VJ to ask for a copy of my DS-3025 and/or of the medical reports, but when I asked I was told that under no circumstances whatsoever will they give copies to the beneficiary, and that these are the rules given by the consulate.

And that's my review.

(F)

Riss

Feb 24, 2012 - NOA1

Sep 5, 2012 - RFE

Nov 5, 2012 - NOA2

They will send you your medical in a sealed envelope, and also a second copy of the DS-3025 that's not in the sealed envelope - that's your copy. At least that's what they did for me last year.

I asked for a copy of the entire medical when I had the interview at the consulate, and they made me a copy. It came in very handy.

Regarding the MMR - I had the first shot at Dr Charles', then had the second shot after the waiting period at my local doctor before I departed for the US. Then I went to a civil surgeon with the DS-3025, the record of the second shot, and they did the transcription onto the I-693 for $30. A lot of people here say you don't need the second shot, so you don't need to send in the I-693 at all, just the copy of the DS-3025. I decided to play it safe and get the I-693.

Edited by Lainie B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Further shots are not required as long as your shots are complete at the time of the K1 medical.

The I-693 transcription does not need to be completed if your shots were complete, and your medical is less than 1 year old.

The problem with getting a transcription these days (as opposed to back when I filed) is that they have changed the I-693 form to make it appear like you need a new medical, because the CS's signature signs off on the medical and they won't sign unless you do another medical. Sometimes you get lucky (like Lainie) and find a CS who isn't totally ripping people off. When you get your stuff from him, check the DS-3025 (you should get a copy because it says on the bottom of the form you're supposed to get one) and like Lainie suggested, as for a copy of your medical in case you need it for some crazy CS later. Depending on what your DS-3025 says you may not need a transcription at all. The panel physicians don't really know about the process at this end. So depending on what he ticked on the form... it'll be up to you.

When I was calling around about mine, we were in TX and about the move to IA. I wanted to make sure that my stuff was done the cheapest way possible, I live in rural IA so I called the only CS available within an hours drive. He wanted to charge JUST $650 for the shots and the transcription. A girl I know had her husband AOS from the VWP and I warned her about him but she went there anyway. $1500 later they'd done the medical and the shots. Extortion. I found one in TX that did the transcription for only $50. Tried to convince me I needed a skin TB test done. I refused because it's NOT needed. They said if I was RFE'd not to come back to them and expect it done for free (or something like that). I wasn't RFE'd of course and was approved without interview.

I would personally, once you've arrived, call CS's and see if you can find on that knows what they're talking about. If not, send the DS-3025 by itself and if you get an RFE, go to the cheapest CS you called.

Timeline

Thanks Vanessa, that's wonderful info. I'm so glad I'll be going into this knowing how it all works - $1500 is certainly extortion! I really appreciate your help. (F)

Riss

Feb 24, 2012 - NOA1

Sep 5, 2012 - RFE

Nov 5, 2012 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.