JLDNNYC

Removal Companies UK to USA

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody,

My wife and I received our NOA2 not too long ago and I am slowly but surely preparing for matters with regards to the physical move of my personal belongings. Since I have quite a bit that will need to be moved stateside I was wondering whether anyone can suggest a good and reliable UK based removal company that does removals to the US. I have googled my query and have found quite a few entries and have contacted one company but I am rather looking for people that have already made the move and have either had a positive or maybe a rather negative experience with a company. Any suggestions are welcome and good luck to all of you that are hanging in there in the last stages of this process!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hello everybody,

My wife and I received our NOA2 not too long ago and I am slowly but surely preparing for matters with regards to the physical move of my personal belongings. Since I have quite a bit that will need to be moved stateside I was wondering whether anyone can suggest a good and reliable UK based removal company that does removals to the US. I have googled my query and have found quite a few entries and have contacted one company but I am rather looking for people that have already made the move and have either had a positive or maybe a rather negative experience with a company. Any suggestions are welcome and good luck to all of you that are hanging in there in the last stages of this process!

I have used United Van Lines on a move to and from GB and they were excellent. They packed the entire household at the origin and unpacked at the destination, both ways. In addition I also shipped the car in the same container, so everything arrived at the same time and in less than 4 weeks. I would highly recommend them.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I have used United Van Lines on a move to and from GB and they were excellent. They packed the entire household at the origin and unpacked at the destination, both ways. In addition I also shipped the car in the same container, so everything arrived at the same time and in less than 4 weeks. I would highly recommend them.

This is something I'm looking into too. I don't have quite so much but still a couple of boxes worth, so Ive been looking at Royal Mail International and DHL, and also googling some 3rd party companies...does anyone know if I have to pay duty on my stuff or would I get a small stereo and lava lamp through customs in a suit case??

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

This is something I'm looking into too. I don't have quite so much but still a couple of boxes worth, so Ive been looking at Royal Mail International and DHL, and also googling some 3rd party companies...does anyone know if I have to pay duty on my stuff or would I get a small stereo and lava lamp through customs in a suit case??

You should be OK with the stuff you are bringing, since you're moving here. You will not be charged duty on your personal stuff. (I brought an entire household and two cars from England when I moved back to the US...)

Let me remind you that electricity in the US is 110-125/60Hz (versus UK 220-230/50Hz) so if your stereo has a clock, even if it is dual voltage, there is a chance your clock will run faster in the US. Make sure it is dual votlage and Hertz-age as well. The lava lamp may be wired for 230 so check them out before you ship them...

Other than that, I would trust the Royal Mail. Send it via slow boat and it should not cost you much although it may take a while to get here.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to UK regional forum; topic is not a K1 process topic.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

This is a much-discussed topic in the UK forum, and there's an old (but still useful) thread full of info: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/128548-yes-its-another-shipping-thread/

Personally, I used Excess Baggage to move 30 boxes of varying sizes (from book boxes to wardrobe boxes to a huge bike box) door-to-door from North London to Connecticut via sea freight. They provided all the boxes and packing materials, and we packed everything up for them to collect. They were helpful at every stage of the game, and nothing was broken or missing. We didn't need to pay any duties or other fees that some have reported when using other companies. And by packing (and unpacking) the boxes ourselves we didn't pay for services we didn't need or want. I have recommended them to others on VJ who were similarly happy.

Regarding electronics, we got rid of a lot of stuff before we moved unless it had dual voltage already or was worth going through the hassle of having a converter for. We had been collectors of vintage hi-fi equipment in London, so everything that wasn't interesting or worth quite a bit got sold. We still ended up shipping three turntables, a tape deck and a hugeazz reel-to-reel player. wacko.gif

It's probably cheaper to replace a small stereo and lava lamp over here than to ship them and get converters, unless they are of great sentimental value to you or can't be replaced with similar items.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Wales
Timeline

This is a much-discussed topic in the UK forum, and there's an old (but still useful) thread full of info: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/128548-yes-its-another-shipping-thread/

Personally, I used Excess Baggage to move 30 boxes of varying sizes (from book boxes to wardrobe boxes to a huge bike box) door-to-door from North London to Connecticut via sea freight. They provided all the boxes and packing materials, and we packed everything up for them to collect. They were helpful at every stage of the game, and nothing was broken or missing. We didn't need to pay any duties or other fees that some have reported when using other companies. And by packing (and unpacking) the boxes ourselves we didn't pay for services we didn't need or want. I have recommended them to others on VJ who were similarly happy.

Regarding electronics, we got rid of a lot of stuff before we moved unless it had dual voltage already or was worth going through the hassle of having a converter for. We had been collectors of vintage hi-fi equipment in London, so everything that wasn't interesting or worth quite a bit got sold. We still ended up shipping three turntables, a tape deck and a hugeazz reel-to-reel player. wacko.gif

It's probably cheaper to replace a small stereo and lava lamp over here than to ship them and get converters, unless they are of great sentimental value to you or can't be replaced with similar items.

Ooooh i'm so glad i've found this thread! Honey Crumpet, I have some Technics SL1200 mk2s, I don't suppose you know if they'd work on US power? I'm wondering if my dj mixer would too? If you don't know the answer, thanks anyway :)

Regards

Ooooh i'm so glad i've found this thread! Honey Crumpet, I have some Technics SL1200 mk2s, I don't suppose you know if they'd work on US power? I'm wondering if my dj mixer would too? If you don't know the answer, thanks anyway :)

Regards

I'll ask the ex -- he's the one with all the hifi know-how. ;)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is a much-discussed topic in the UK forum, and there's an old (but still useful) thread full of info: http://www.visajourn...hipping-thread/

I'm using Excess Baggage I think. They gave me a reasonable quote & I love that they take care of everything for you, from packing to delivering at your US address. Exactly what I was looking for. I was about to review them on here. I know, no shipping company is going to have 100% positive feed back but it's good to know you shipped so much & it was all intact. That's what I'm hoping yes.gif

Timeline

I'm using Excess Baggage I think. They gave me a reasonable quote & I love that they take care of everything for you, from packing to delivering at your US address. Exactly what I was looking for. I was about to review them on here. I know, no shipping company is going to have 100% positive feed back but it's good to know you shipped so much & it was all intact. That's what I'm hoping yes.gif

We used Excess Baggage for table, chairs, wardrobe, large mirror, china, etc. Very happy with their service, which was door to door. We shipped the goods out before the visa approval so had to pay for storage until we could fax them the visa. Our experience was that everything was in good order.

Timeline

We used Excess Baggage for table, chairs, wardrobe, large mirror, china, etc. Very happy with their service, which was door to door. We shipped the goods out before the visa approval so had to pay for storage until we could fax them the visa. Our experience was that everything was in good order.

Great, thank you yes.gif

Filed: Country: Wales
Timeline

I'll ask the ex -- he's the one with all the hifi know-how. ;)

that would be great if you could!

Many thanks

I have just booked with Excess Baggage, hoping they'll do a good service on my stuff too. I don't have much (6-7 boxes) mainly clothes, some books and some various personal effects. The only "big" thing is an overlocking sewing machine, which is almost new therefore I will get a proper converter once in US, rather then leaving it behind or sell it.

Do you know, since my shipment will be arriving from a week to few days earlier than I do, altho they say they'll try to get it there at about the same day I arrive, if my fiance' can clear customs for me? I will be sending my passport and visa copies along with docs to them. I read on this website https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/354/~/moving-to-the-u.s.---duty-free-entry-of-unaccompanied-goods,-firearms,-gift the following:

"When you come to CBP to enter your goods, you must complete CBP Form 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles to give to the CBP Officer. If you cannot come to the CBP office yourself, you may designate a friend or relative to represent you in CBP matters. You must give that person a letter addressed to "Officer in Charge of CBP" authorizing that individual to represent you as your agent on a one-time basis to clear your shipment through CBP"

Does it mean that it is fine or will I need to pay for storage until I arrive to the US?

K1

23 Jan 2012: sent I-129F

01 Feb 2012: received hard copy NOA1

28 June 2012: NOA2

18 July 2012: LND case number

25 July 2012: sent packet 3 docs

28 July 2012: Packet 3 received

30 July 2012: medical done

09 Aug 2012: Packet 4 received

14 Aug 2012 8am: interview: APPROVED!

20 Aug 2012: VISA received!!

06 Oct 2012: POE in Anchorage (AK)

10 Nov 2012: Wedding in California

AOS

Jan 03, 2013: package sent to Chicago!

Jan 10, 2013: email/text notification of receipt of all 3!

Jan 19, 2013: biometric letter received

Jan 30, 2013: biometric appointment at 12pm

Mar 06, 2013: EAD/AP card in production

Mar 12, 2013: received interview appointment letter

Mar 15, 2013: EAD/AP combo card received!

Mar 21, 2013: Interview in Anchorage..APPROVED!

I have just booked with Excess Baggage, hoping they'll do a good service on my stuff too. I don't have much (6-7 boxes) mainly clothes, some books and some various personal effects. The only "big" thing is an overlocking sewing machine, which is almost new therefore I will get a proper converter once in US, rather then leaving it behind or sell it.

Do you know, since my shipment will be arriving from a week to few days earlier than I do, altho they say they'll try to get it there at about the same day I arrive, if my fiance' can clear customs for me? I will be sending my passport and visa copies along with docs to them. I read on this website https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/354/~/moving-to-the-u.s.---duty-free-entry-of-unaccompanied-goods,-firearms,-gift the following:

"When you come to CBP to enter your goods, you must complete CBP Form 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles to give to the CBP Officer. If you cannot come to the CBP office yourself, you may designate a friend or relative to represent you in CBP matters. You must give that person a letter addressed to "Officer in Charge of CBP" authorizing that individual to represent you as your agent on a one-time basis to clear your shipment through CBP"

Does it mean that it is fine or will I need to pay for storage until I arrive to the US?

Your quote looks crystal clear to me. It's fine, providing you provide a letter written according to the CBP's instructions, and signed by you.

Timeline

I thought the company took care of this for you at the first port that the goods entered? Customs clearance should be included in the quote you were given. As far as I was told, you fill in the forms & give them to the company. I was told it was better to be there before your goods arrived but I know a lot of people have had their family or partner receive the goods for them. As I understood, if your goods were selected for a search, then they would contact you to pay the inspection fee & then they could be transported by road to your destination. Otherwise you shouldn't incur any other charges.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.