MrsNotBonJovi

AOS approved at Newark, NJ: The Devil Is In The Details!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Before narrating the experience itself, here is the golden rule: No harm in being over prepared, never say enough is enough, always do more than you think is necessary, even if you think you are overdoing it. Pay attention to details, big or small, if you do not want to slip up. Read on and you will know why.

My interview appointment was for 8.30 am at Newark, NJ. We reached there at around 8 am and got into the building pretty fast, no waiting lines. Went up to Floor 14, presented our IDs, were asked to drop the interview letter off at Window 1. Did that and waited. The waiting room was full, since there were no separate waiting rooms for green card and naturalization interviews. Found quite a few couples there, who were so obviously AOS applicants.

I carried with me copies of my application set, the originals of all documents submitted along with my application and new documents (like joint bank account, joint credit cards, more photos etc), all filed and labeled in neat folders that I could pull out without much fuss.

At around 9 am (thirty minutes past my appointment time) I went up to Window 1 and asked when I was likely to be called. Was told it may take anywhere from 2-3 hours. Sighed and returned to seat. Husband tried to keep up a light conversation going, but I guess I was too nervous.

At around 9.20 am or so (didn't look at watch, so only approximate estimate), was called to Door B by a male voice over the PA. Went over to the door and was greeted by Officer Rodriguez. He then took us to his cabin and swore us in. Asked for both our passports, IDs (my State ID and husband's DL), our SSNs and my EAD. He spent a few minutes leafing through my passport and canceled a couple of old US visitor visas that had expired. He then asked my husband to state his spouse's name, address and date of birth. He then remarked that we had been married for a very long time and my husband said, "Yes, for six years."

The IO was very business-like and did not attempt any small talk or banter which was fine with me, since I was just too keyed in. In between questions, the IO had to answer a phone call, and the short break allowed us to take a few deep breaths. He then asked us for documents showing both our names together to show we have been living together and we gave him bank documents showing both names, a letter from our landlord, my husband's medical insurance policy and life insurance policy. We attempted to show him some photos but the officer said he did not need any. He then checked our marriage certificate and asked my husband about his place of work etc. Just routine questions, out of the paperwork that we had submitted.

And then the IO turned to my birth certificate. I do not have an original birth certificate issued by a government agency from my country, only a birth certificate issued by my consulate in New York. Since even at the application stage, it had been made clear what kind of documents I would need to substitute for lack of a birth certificate, I had submitted those along with the original package itself (two affidavits from family elders, school records, government documents showing date of birth etc) but what I had not included at filing stage was a certificate from my local government agency back home stating that my birth certificate was not available. However, after filing my application, I had procured the certificate and was carrying it with me to the interview. I had, however, planned on giving it only if I was asked since I had read on these boards only to give those documents that were specifically asked for, Hence, when the officer asked for my birth certificate, I once again gave him my consulate-issued birth certificate. He did not comment on that at that time and proceeded to ask me some standard yes/no questions. When we were done, he gave us back the photos we had submitted with the application package and told us the interview was over. It had taken about 20 minutes or so of easy, painless questions and cross checking of documents. He then asked us to wait in the room outside and said he would join us in a few minutes. At this point, I was quite sure I had been approved and was starting to relax when Officer Rodriguez came back with, of all things, an RFE for lack of sufficient proof regarding my birth!!

He said since I had not provided documentation from my local government agency stating that my original birth certificate was not available, he was scheduling me for another interview for July 13, and that I would have to report back with the document.

I immediately volunteered that I was having the required document with me right at that moment, and showed it to him. He asked me why I had not shown it earlier and I said I had not seen any need for it since I had not been asked. He then went in to consult with someone and came back and told me everything was alright and I could expect my GC in the mail within 2-3 weeks. I asked him if I needed to have my passport stamped and he said no. He retained my OPT EAD and said I would not need it. He had also retained my I-94 earlier. I asked him if I had been approved and he said that was what he was going to recommend. Not sure still at this stage, we left the immigration office at around 11.30 am and headed back home and I spent the next few hours anxiously waiting for my status to change online.

And then, voila, at 6.45 pm, came the much anticipated email. My online status had also changed by then. I now wait for my GC to arrive by mail.

So, here is the lesson I learnt: Never ever leave anything to chance, if there is the remotest chance that it may come of use at critical times like this. And always check, cross check and double check your facts and documents. During various stages between filing the application and waiting for the interview, I had almost given up on procuring that all-important document from my home country simply because the process had been so frustrating. On hindsight, I am so very glad I pushed myself to get it done. Else, I would have had to reckon with an RFE by now.

And thus my visa journey comes to a happy ending. A total of 83 days from filing to approval. No RFEs. Fairly painless and smooth. A very big and heartfelt thanks to this wonderful community. I could never have come this far without all of you and your hand-holding. You saved me a pile of attorney fees and kept me from slipping up with regard to my documentation. I hope and pray each one of your journeys come to a happy ending too. I will keep returning to this forum as often as possible, since I would like to give back at least a little of what I have learnt in this process. This interview experience has also been reposted, with some modifications, in the Newark Local Office Review section.

Edited by MrsNotBonJovi

The Journey

Arrived on F1 visa on 25 Dec 2008. Graduated June 2011. Started OPT Sep 2011.

AOS applied March 21, 2012. GC approved June 11, 2012 & received June 18, 2012.

Exactly three months from start to finish,no RFEs.

AOS Timeline:

Day 01,March 21, 2012: Concurrent filing of I-130/AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

Day 02,March 22, 2012: Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day 04,March 24, 2012: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received through e-mail

Day 07,March 27, 2012: Checks cashed.

Day 13,April 02, 2012 : NOAs received for I-130,I-485,EAD/AP & Biometrics

Day 36,April 25, 2012 : Biometrics Completed at Elizabeth, NJ.

Day 45,May 04, 2012 : E-mail notification for interview received for June 11

Day 46,May 05, 2012 : Received hard copy of interview notice

Day 56,May 16, 2012 : EAD/AP Production e-mail

Day 64,May 24, 2012 : EAD/AP Card in hand

Day 83,June 11,2012 : Interview. Approved same day. Card production email.

Day 84,June 12,2012 : E-mail Notification registering PR status.

Day 87,June 15,2012 : USPS picks up GC from USCIS.

Day 88,June 16,2012 : Received two hard copy mails, approving I-130 & I-485

Day 90,June 18,2012 : 10-year GC in hand. End of GC journey, for now.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you very much for a very well written experience. I promise to post my experience too as soon as I am done. Congratulations! Cheers!!!

02/20/12 MARRIED
03/20/12 Sent application (I130,I485,I765)
03/27/12 Checks cashed
04/02/12 Bio appt rcvd
04/26/12 Bio done (in/out in less than 10mins)
05/09/12 Emai rcvd-Interview sched 6/13
05/11/12 Appt letter rcvd
05/16/12 Email rcvd-EAD in prod
05/21/12 Another email EAD in prod
05/22/12 2 emails - EAD mailed and USPS picked up EAD
05/24/12 RCVD EAD
06/13/12 AOS INTERVIEW -APPROVED :)(DAY 88)
06/13/12 EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS FOR I-130 AND I-485 RECEIVED
06/15/12 EMAIL "CARD PRODUCTION" RECEIVED :))
06/18/12 RCVD HARD COPY OF I-130 & I-485 APPROVAL
06/18/12 EMAIL NOTIFICATION CARD MAILED AND CARD PICKED UP BY USPS YEHEY!
06/20/12 GC ON HAND! PRAISE GOD!
TOOK 96 DAYS FROM SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION TO GC ON HAND. PRETTY SMOOTH AND QUICK PROCESS. I PRAY THIS HAPPENS TO EVERYONE AS WELL. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS! KEEP THE FAITH!

03/24/14 Mailed ROC packet

03/31/14 NOA1

05/06/14 BIO

10/14/14 APPROVAL NOTICE

10/22/14 MAILED CARD EMAIL

10/24/14 GC RECEIVED. PRAISE GOD!!!! THANK YOU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes thanks for your detailed experience and ConGraTuLaTions :):dance::star:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Congrats! I am so happy for you!

3/23/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent
4/02/2012 (Day 11) - Hard Copy of NOA1 in the mail of I-130, I-485 and I-765
4/04/2012 (Day 13) - Received a letter for biometrics appointment for 4/20/2012.
4/20/2012 (Day 29) - Biometrics done
5/03/2012 (Day 42) - Status online changed to interview, scheduled for June 11
5/16/2012 (Day 55) - EAD Card Production, online status update
5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD Card in the mail
6/11/2012 (Day 83) - Interview, approved on the spot

05/19/2014 (Day 0) - Mailed I-751

05/27/2014 (Day 8) - Received NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thank you very much for a very well written experience. I promise to post my experience too as soon as I am done. Congratulations! Cheers!!!

Thanks, all the very best to you.

Yes thanks for your detailed experience and ConGraTuLaTions :):dance::star:

Thank you!

wow... i wanna cry hehe :) .... good lesson!!!! never is enough!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Thanks, hope you have a good interview too!

Congrats! I am so happy for you!

Thanks, likewise for you!

Congrats! :)

Thanks, Mike. You will be there soon too. Just a matter of time.

The Journey

Arrived on F1 visa on 25 Dec 2008. Graduated June 2011. Started OPT Sep 2011.

AOS applied March 21, 2012. GC approved June 11, 2012 & received June 18, 2012.

Exactly three months from start to finish,no RFEs.

AOS Timeline:

Day 01,March 21, 2012: Concurrent filing of I-130/AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

Day 02,March 22, 2012: Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day 04,March 24, 2012: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received through e-mail

Day 07,March 27, 2012: Checks cashed.

Day 13,April 02, 2012 : NOAs received for I-130,I-485,EAD/AP & Biometrics

Day 36,April 25, 2012 : Biometrics Completed at Elizabeth, NJ.

Day 45,May 04, 2012 : E-mail notification for interview received for June 11

Day 46,May 05, 2012 : Received hard copy of interview notice

Day 56,May 16, 2012 : EAD/AP Production e-mail

Day 64,May 24, 2012 : EAD/AP Card in hand

Day 83,June 11,2012 : Interview. Approved same day. Card production email.

Day 84,June 12,2012 : E-mail Notification registering PR status.

Day 87,June 15,2012 : USPS picks up GC from USCIS.

Day 88,June 16,2012 : Received two hard copy mails, approving I-130 & I-485

Day 90,June 18,2012 : 10-year GC in hand. End of GC journey, for now.

congratulations!!!

thanks for the detailed interview!!!

i am so ready for tmr to be over with LOL

i just want all this waiting to be over and get an actual life!!!

March 19th - received NOA

April 13th - Biometrics

May 03rd - notified of interview (06/13/2012)

May 06th - received interview letter in mail

May 11th - received notification of EAD card in production

May 19th - EAD in hand

May 23rd - Applied for SSC

May 29th - Received social security card in mail (card in hand)

June 13th - Interview (approved on the spot)

June 13th - got notification of approval

June 18th - Card in production (also received welcome letter in mail)

June 21st - Green Card in hand

End of this journey....

See you all in the Naturalization forums

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.