23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

VJer's,

I'm frantic again. Shannon had his interview this Tuesday the 13th. The CO told him he was approved and even commented on how organized we were and how impressed he was that we had all our correct documents ready. The CO asked him when he was planning on traveling to the US, in which Shannon responded "next week". The CO noted this on his form and said he would receive his visa in the mail by the end of this week or early next week.

I just got off the phone with DOS because I wanted to call and see if it had been issued and sent yet so that Shannon can go ahead and book his flight. The woman told me that his case is under AP and "wasn't sure why he was told he was approved". What the hell does this mean and what am I supposed to do? She couldn't give me much other information. This doesn't make sense to me. HELP!

Danielle

Timeline

May be, call again and ask about what kind of AP is that? Is it related to background or name check, etc etc?

She couldn't give me much detail. I asked a million questions and all she could say was "it differs from case to case". What the hell am I supposed to do?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

EMAIL OR CALL the embassy

They will give you better information

DOS sometimes gives wrong information

Sorry. I hope they were wrong

They told me my husband was still in AP after the embassy had told me visa was issued...I asked her are you sure and she said yess. I said then why would embassy say visa is printed?

Then she said oh yes it says approved.

I do not even know if they look at a computer when they talk

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Timeline

EMAIL OR CALL the embassy

They will give you better information

DOS sometimes gives wrong information

Sorry. I hope they were wrong

They told me my husband was still in AP after the embassy had told me visa was issued...I asked her are you sure and she said yess. I said then why would embassy say visa is printed?

Then she said oh yes it says approved.

I do not even know if they look at a computer when they talk

That makes sense. Every time I've calle DOS they always seem clueless and give me different information every time. I did email the embassy though. Hope I hear back today. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Did she say "administrative processing"? Or did she use another term?

I've read here a few times that after interview and by the time the visa is issued, DOS sees the case as administrative review, which is basically the embassy working on the case to print out the visa.

Better try to get in touch with the embassy.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Timeline

Did she say "administrative processing"? Or did she use another term?

I've read here a few times that after interview and by the time the visa is issued, DOS sees the case as administrative review, which is basically the embassy working on the case to print out the visa.

Better try to get in touch with the embassy.

This makes me feel a bit better. So what youre saying is that it's possible that this review or processing is simply because the visa has not physically been printed or issued yet. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be stuck there for weeks. The officer told him he would receive the visa by end of this week or early next week. Doesn't make sense why he would have told him this if we were going to be stuck in processing for weeks. Should I be worried? I've emailed the embassy. Thanks :)

Timeline

This makes me feel a bit better. So what youre saying is that it's possible that this review or processing is simply because the visa has not physically been printed or issued yet. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be stuck there for weeks. The officer told him he would receive the visa by end of this week or early next week. Doesn't make sense why he would have told him this if we were going to be stuck in processing for weeks. Should I be worried? I've emailed the embassy. Thanks :)

No it wouldn't make much sense at all. Someone is mistaken here, either the CO who said everything was fine when in fact the case had to be put in AP, or, most probably, the DOS.

Just wait for the embassy's reply. I'm sure eveything's gonna be alright.

CR1 Visa

EMBASSY STAGE

ROC

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Timeline

No it wouldn't make much sense at all. Someone is mistaken here, either the CO who said everything was fine when in fact the case had to be put in AP, or, most probably, the DOS.

Just wait for the embassy's reply. I'm sure eveything's gonna be alright.

I'm pretty sure the officer wouldn't have been mistaken. Especially after commenting on how organized we are. And confirming that he would finish the paperwork that day (or asap) and he would have his visa soon! Sydney embassy hasn't been the best at responding to our emails thus far but hopefully they can respond to us today. Why is everyone at DOS so clueless?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I just want to say that Egypt CO's all say yo will get your visa in 1-2 weeks..... and about 66% of males go thru AP there!! (that is my own personal VJ %)

I am glad your country is more truthful than Egypt.

They were honest with my husband and said check back in 14 weeks.

Was your man born in another country?

Did he travel out of his country?

Is he Muslim?

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Timeline

Yeah it's common in some countries but not in Australia. The CO would have told him if he knew there would be AP.

CR1 Visa

EMBASSY STAGE

ROC

Naturalization

Timeline

I just want to say that Egypt CO's all say yo will get your visa in 1-2 weeks..... and about 66% of males go thru AP there!! (that is my own personal VJ %)

I am glad your country is more truthful than Egypt.

They were honest with my husband and said check back in 14 weeks.

Was your man born in another country?

Did he travel out of his country?

Is he Muslim?

He was born in Australia and has lived there his whole life. He is not Muslim and has no criminal record.

Yeah it's common in some countries but not in Australia. The CO would have told him if he knew there would be AP.

Exactly. Not in Australia. Even the lady at DOS said. The officer would have told him if we were in review.

Don't bother calling DOS - they have absolutely nothing to do with the case and usually give out incorrect information.

If you have concerns - they need to be directed to the Sydney Consulate - they are the ones in charge of approving and issuing visas.

Having said this - I think it's likely that you have been given incorrect info from DOS. It is rare for Australians to be put on AP (and by rare I mean I have never heard/read any cases where this has happened).

The CO's in Australia do not usually lie - if they say he's approved, then he's approved. Did they give him a slip of paper saying 'approved' at his interview? I got one at my interview on a Tuesday and had my visa on the Friday.

Just relax....he will probably get his visa in the next couple of days.

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Timeline

Don't bother calling DOS - they have absolutely nothing to do with the case and usually give out incorrect information.

If you have concerns - they need to be directed to the Sydney Consulate - they are the ones in charge of approving and issuing visas.

Having said this - I think it's likely that you have been given incorrect info from DOS. It is rare for Australians to be put on AP (and by rare I mean I have never heard/read any cases where this has happened).

The CO's in Australia do not usually lie - if they say he's approved, then he's approved. Did they give him a slip of paper saying 'approved' at his interview? I got one at my interview on a Tuesday and had my visa on the Friday.

That's what I'm beginning to think. The officer would not have lied. I'm just hoping for a response from the embassy at some point today. It's reassuring to know that it's extremely rare for AP to happen in Aus. Thank you! How long does it take most people to have their visas in hand after an interview in Sydney?

Timeline

P.s. yes he did get a slip saying he was approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.