Mononoke28

Colombia Club Part IV

504 posts in this topic

Are there any episodes of colombian fiances being denied entrance through the airport,

onto the plane with ONLY A ONE-WAY TICKET ?

Cause it appears to have changed with the times, and for what I am finding for the dates I need right now, it looks like the One Way ticket is much cheaper. (It use to not be that way, necessarily)

She's checking today with the family members who all want to go to the airport to see her off, about dates/times.

She was awarded the visa at Friday's interview (March 23).

She and I are thinking, Saturday, April 7, first United flight out of El Dorado.

I'd like to go ahead and purchase the ticket today.

Any thoughts?

I found the same thing. The one-way flight was cheaper than round trip. We booked through Avianca at the last minute so that her flight would match mine. But if you can plan it the cheapest way to book is through www.lostiquetesmasbaratos.com The flight from El Dorado to Mexico City was with Avianca with excellent service, good meal, 2 bags per passenger and no issues. The flight from Mexico City to Phoenix was with US Airways... poor service, no meal, $25 first bag, $35 second bag and I was told 2 of my bags were over the weight limit. I opted to redistribute the weight but the employee tried to rush me and extracted a bribe from me and made veiled threats that my bags "could get lost" if I did nt give him a hand. I will never fly US Airways again.

The only issue with the one-way flight was at he Avianca counter where a new employee was being trained. She and her supervisor pondered the one-way ticket for a bit and I explained the purpose of the K-1 visa. They seemed satisfied and all was well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've never heard of anyone being denied entry with a one-way ticket and entering the country with an immigrant type visa. Since they're coming in with a K1 visa, immigration officials know that they intend to stay here to live, thus the one-way ticket.

I have had so many bad experiences with Avianca in the past that I try to avoid them at all costs, don't care for the hassle, the late arrivals and departures, the inefficiency... forget about it. Now, whenever I travel to and from Colombia, I try to do it with AA if possible even though they now charge an additional $70 for the second bag.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I've never heard of anyone being denied entry with a one-way ticket and entering the country with an immigrant type visa. Since they're coming in with a K1 visa, immigration officials know that they intend to stay here to live, thus the one-way ticket.

I have had so many bad experiences with Avianca in the past that I try to avoid them at all costs, don't care for the hassle, the late arrivals and departures, the inefficiency... forget about it. Now, whenever I travel to and from Colombia, I try to do it with AA if possible even though they now charge an additional $70 for the second bag.

Diana

How long ago where your bad experiences with Avianca? If over a year or two ago I would suggest you give them another try. I made 9 trips to Colombia since December 2010 and 4 within Colombia and I flew AA, Copa, Avianca, US Airways, Delta and Avianca provided the best service by far. Best food, no charges for bags, entertainment on all flights.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

A keen eye is appreciated - OK I have spent literally 6 hours today reading how to register on line, how to pay the interview visa fee, how to schedule the interview date, etc., etc.

Tomorrow I plan to register online and set up the account for my Colombian fiancee, I have all the information needed to register and complete the Form DS-156 and DS-156K, including passport numbers, date of birth, digital passport photos, etc.

We want to pay cash at a bank in Medellin. I understand that once I set up and register online I can print out a deposit slip which my fiancee will bring to the HELM Bank in Medellin (is there a branch in Medellin?), then after the $350. fee is paid I can enter that information online which will then allow me to schedule the interview date. Is this correct?

Also she has a child whom is listed on the K-1. Do we pay the $350. visa fee twice or $700. since there are 2 visas?

Our NOA 2 states that the application is VALID until June 12, 2012. I would like to schedule the interview date the first week of June. How far out are the dates taken for a K-1 visa interview?

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Timeline

How long ago where your bad experiences with Avianca? If over a year or two ago I would suggest you give them another try. I made 9 trips to Colombia since December 2010 and 4 within Colombia and I flew AA, Copa, Avianca, US Airways, Delta and Avianca provided the best service by far. Best food, no charges for bags, entertainment on all flights.

Yes, it was definitely before 2010 but now it doesn't really matter because I live in Denver and they don't have convenient, affordable connecting flights anyway. I will say this though, the best way to lose a customer is by not caring for him/her from the beginning, and because of this they've lost me for life. :devil:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

A keen eye is appreciated - OK I have spent literally 6 hours today reading how to register on line, how to pay the interview visa fee, how to schedule the interview date, etc., etc.

Tomorrow I plan to register online and set up the account for my Colombian fiancee, I have all the information needed to register and complete the Form DS-156 and DS-156K, including passport numbers, date of birth, digital passport photos, etc.

We want to pay cash at a bank in Medellin. I understand that once I set up and register online I can print out a deposit slip which my fiancee will bring to the HELM Bank in Medellin (is there a branch in Medellin?), then after the $350. fee is paid I can enter that information online which will then allow me to schedule the interview date. Is this correct?

Also she has a child whom is listed on the K-1. Do we pay the $350. visa fee twice or $700. since there are 2 visas?

Our NOA 2 states that the application is VALID until June 12, 2012. I would like to schedule the interview date the first week of June. How far out are the dates taken for a K-1 visa interview?

Yes, there is a HELM branch in Medellín:

Address: Carrera 46 No. 53-44

Hours: Mon-Thu 8am to 4pm; Fri 8am to 4:30pm

She has to pay for both visas separately since it's an individual fee, one for each visa. After she pays at the bank you can schedule their interview online.

If their visas are approved, they will have up to six months to use them, some people have said they only had three months but most had six months.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Yes, it was definitely before 2010 but now it doesn't really matter because I live in Denver and they don't have convenient, affordable connecting flights anyway. I will say this though, the best way to lose a customer is by not caring for him/her from the beginning, and because of this they've lost me for life. :devil:

Diana

I can certainly understand how you feel. I feel the same way about US Airways. I had a horrible experience with them and I am still waiting to cool off before I write my complaint letter to them. That being said when I was in Colombia I saw this website for cheap tickets www.lostiquetesmasbaratos.com I haven't tried them yet but they were an option when I was loking at buying Andrea's ticket. In the end I chose to not "waste" my ticket and bought her a matching ticket.

I have a question regarding the medical portion of AOS. My wife came here on a K1 she had her medical done in February. All her vaccinations are current and we have the appropriate form. Do I still need to fill out Part 1 of form 693? I read the directions for form 693 and my reading of it indicates that you only fill out form 693 part 1 and attach proof of vaccines only if you do not have all of your vaccine records at the time of the overseas exam. I am confused. Also if a Civil Surgeon still need s to certify part 1 how do I avoid paying for an entire physical all over again?

Timeline

I can certainly understand how you feel. I feel the same way about US Airways. I had a horrible experience with them and I am still waiting to cool off before I write my complaint letter to them. That being said when I was in Colombia I saw this website for cheap tickets www.lostiquetesmasbaratos.com I haven't tried them yet but they were an option when I was loking at buying Andrea's ticket. In the end I chose to not "waste" my ticket and bought her a matching ticket.

Thanks for the info, I'm a sucker for new sites where I can find cheaper flights so I'll save it to my bookmarks. I just tried it though and it quoted me tickets for two people traveling from Cali to Orlando in October for over $2,500 while Travelocity and Orbitz gave me $$1,422. :wacko:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

I have a question regarding the medical portion of AOS. My wife came here on a K1 she had her medical done in February. All her vaccinations are current and we have the appropriate form. Do I still need to fill out Part 1 of form 693? I read the directions for form 693 and my reading of it indicates that you only fill out form 693 part 1 and attach proof of vaccines only if you do not have all of your vaccine records at the time of the overseas exam. I am confused. Also if a Civil Surgeon still need s to certify part 1 how do I avoid paying for an entire physical all over again?

It's up to you. Yes, the instructions for the I-693 portion are very clear, yet every now and then an inefficient USCIS employee will send out an RFE requesting it. Most people send out their AOS without it, and if you choose not to as well, just attach a copy of the instructions explaining why you didn't include it. The worst that can happen is you'll receive an RFE requesting it and all you need to do is find a civil surgeon who won't charge you an arm and a leg just to sign it, and they're easy to find.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

It's up to you. Yes, the instructions for the I-693 portion are very clear, yet every now and then an inefficient USCIS employee will send out an RFE requesting it. Most people send out their AOS without it, and if you choose not to as well, just attach a copy of the instructions explaining why you didn't include it. The worst that can happen is you'll receive an RFE requesting it and all you need to do is find a civil surgeon who won't charge you an arm and a leg just to sign it, and they're easy to find.

Diana

Yes I thought I read that correctly but the tips her on VJ for K-1 filers says that it needs to be filed. I will follow your advice and hopefully I will get an experienced employee. Today when I called a civil surgeon's office they told me I needed the entire physical re-done once in the US. It's unfortunate that thre are so many uniformed and/or crooked individuals at every turn of this process.

Thanks Diana!!

Timeline

Yes I thought I read that correctly but the tips her on VJ for K-1 filers says that it needs to be filed. I will follow your advice and hopefully I will get an experienced employee. Today when I called a civil surgeon's office they told me I needed the entire physical re-done once in the US. It's unfortunate that thre are so many uniformed and/or crooked individuals at every turn of this process.

Thanks Diana!!

You're right, I don't think they're "uninformed", they just want to cash in fully aware that the exam the person had done in their country is still valid. But keep calling because you will find one that will be willing to just sign it based on the DS-3025 and only charge you for it, which should not be much, maybe $25-$50.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for the info, I'm a sucker for new sites where I can find cheaper flights so I'll save it to my bookmarks. I just tried it though and it quoted me tickets for two people traveling from Cali to Orlando in October for over $2,500 while Travelocity and Orbitz gave me $1,422. :wacko:

Diana

Denver? Spirit is adding Denver in May.. Real quick lookup.. going in August say 10 to the 20th roundtrip Denver to Medellin runs 747.90 after taxes.. sweet :)

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

Denver? Spirit is adding Denver in May.. Real quick lookup.. going in August say 10 to the 20th roundtrip Denver to Medellin runs 747.90 after taxes.. sweet :)

I checked them as well when I was looking to buy my mother's tickets this summer and with them it was $796 for airfare, plus $46 for 1 bag (round trip, up to 40 lbs.), which came to a total of $842, no meals and no option to choose your seat unless you pay extra. I ended up going with AA like I always do because the total was $847, which includes 1 bag (up to 50 lbs.), her meals, and I was able to choose her seats in all flights as well, plus it was not a red eye flight which for some reason is all Spirit has available from Denver.

So for now, Spirit hasn't really sold me on their more "affordable" prices because their optional fees make the trip cost just as much as flying with a major airline like AA and Avianca which offer meals, more baggage options, you can choose your seats and are way more comfortable. But I'm definitely keeping my eyes open on whatever they may offer just in case something really good comes up.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

I am the US Citizen and my fiance is Colombian. Does anyone know if I can attend the interview with her in Bogota. We HOPE that interview will be end of May/beginning of June. Thanks, in advance!

Lobox,

Yes, if you're able to attend you can go with her and just show your US passport so they can let you right in. In fact, it's best if you go should the CO have any questions regarding your application.

Please feel free to ask any questions in this thread which is filled with all kinds of info regarding the process in Bogotá, Colombia.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.