Mariya

Ukraine - extended stay

44 posts in this topic

So I have just decided to "zabit'" (my favourite russian slang word забить means "take it easy") and stay here as much as I need - until my flight (one more month).

Indeed, забей!

My expat friends and I have done some pretty sketchy things with RUB border control over the past 10 years, and never been in a situation that couldn't be "negotiated" - usually with no fines (official or otherwise). Especially given that you'll be toting a baby around, I suspect they'll give you little/no trouble at all. If they do, just start crying, which will cause the baby to cry, which will start a scene, and they'll quickly hurry you thru with a perfunctory "never do this again, understand?" warning.

Our timeline:

01/11/12 - Submitted I-130s to Moscow USCIS in person

01/12/12 - Had interview with Moscow USCIS officer to establish bonafide marriage

01/12/12 - I-130s approved and passed to US Consulate

01/13/12 - IV Unit in Moscow received approved petition

01/23/12 - We received confirmation that I-130s were approved by USCIS

01/24/12 - We received package notification from post office

01/26/12 - Picked up "package" - notifications from IV Unit with case numbers

01/26/12 - Set interview date online

02/01/12 - Passed medical exams

02/02/12 - Received police record

02/09/12 - Interview... APPROVED!

02/13/12 - Visa delivered

02/23/12 - POE Chicago

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

New laws are in effect from September 10, 2011. This should not be a problem

"On June 1, 2011, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine issued Resolution #567 “On Establishment of the Rules of Visa Issuance for Entry into Ukraine and Transit Through Its Territory” that came into effect on September 10, 2011. The resolution introduces major changes in the Ukrainian visa rules and broadens the list of foreigners entitled to obtain temporary residence permits. Overall, the new legislation aims to standardize visa and temporary residence rules and to bring them in line with European Union practices.

American Citizens travelling to Ukraine still do not need visas for stays of less than 90 cumulative days within a 180 day period. This means you can come for 90 days in one trip and then remain outside the country for 90 days, or that you can make multiple shorter trips to Ukraine totaling no more than 90 days in a 180 day period starting with the date of your first entry. If you plan to spend more time in Ukraine – either during one trip or multiple trips – then you need a visa.

Visas are issued by Ukrainian Embassies and Consulates abroad. There is no way to obtain a visa in Ukraine or at the border. The new long term visas are single-entry and are valid for 45 days (the validity dates determine when you can enter the country, not how long you can stay). This new type of visa replaces all previously existing visa types that allowed stays in Ukraine for more than 90 days. Americans can apply at any Ukrainian Embassy or Consulate, but you should contact the Embassy or Consulate where you intend to apply in advance because exact procedures and processing times vary.

The new long-term stay visas allow you to enter Ukraine during their 45 day validity period. You then need to apply for a temporary residence permit at your local immigration office (officially called VGIRFO but usually referred to by its old acronym, OVIR). The temporary residence permit gives you full legal status in Ukraine and lets you freely travel in and out of Ukraine for as long as it is valid. You will not need to apply for a new visa if you leave Ukraine and you will not need to re-register with OVIR during the permit’s validity period

To apply for a residence permit once in Ukraine, you should contact your local OVIR office for exact details and procedures. In general, you will need:

-Your passport and valid long term stay visa

-A completed application form

-A photo

-proof of your address in Ukraine

-The application fee of approximately $5.00

-A letter from the inviting party verified by the respective state body (you also need this to apply for a long term visa). For example, NGO employees would need a letter from the inviting NGO that has been verified by the Ministry of Justice and religious workers would need a letter from their religious organization verified by the Ministry of Culture."

http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/message_09122011.html

BTW, even the old regulation allowed for permanent residency for a a foreigner who has a close relative who is a Ukrainian citizen....The new laws expand eligibility

Belarus-240-animated-flag-gifs.gifUSA-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

New laws are in effect from September 10, 2011. This should not be a problem

"On June 1, 2011, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine issued Resolution #567 “On Establishment of the Rules of Visa Issuance for Entry into Ukraine and Transit Through Its Territory” that came into effect on September 10, 2011. The resolution introduces major changes in the Ukrainian visa rules and broadens the list of foreigners entitled to obtain temporary residence permits. Overall, the new legislation aims to standardize visa and temporary residence rules and to bring them in line with European Union practices.

American Citizens travelling to Ukraine still do not need visas for stays of less than 90 cumulative days within a 180 day period. This means you can come for 90 days in one trip and then remain outside the country for 90 days, or that you can make multiple shorter trips to Ukraine totaling no more than 90 days in a 180 day period starting with the date of your first entry. If you plan to spend more time in Ukraine – either during one trip or multiple trips – then you need a visa.

Visas are issued by Ukrainian Embassies and Consulates abroad. There is no way to obtain a visa in Ukraine or at the border. The new long term visas are single-entry and are valid for 45 days (the validity dates determine when you can enter the country, not how long you can stay). This new type of visa replaces all previously existing visa types that allowed stays in Ukraine for more than 90 days. Americans can apply at any Ukrainian Embassy or Consulate, but you should contact the Embassy or Consulate where you intend to apply in advance because exact procedures and processing times vary.

The new long-term stay visas allow you to enter Ukraine during their 45 day validity period. You then need to apply for a temporary residence permit at your local immigration office (officially called VGIRFO but usually referred to by its old acronym, OVIR). The temporary residence permit gives you full legal status in Ukraine and lets you freely travel in and out of Ukraine for as long as it is valid. You will not need to apply for a new visa if you leave Ukraine and you will not need to re-register with OVIR during the permit’s validity period

To apply for a residence permit once in Ukraine, you should contact your local OVIR office for exact details and procedures. In general, you will need:

-A completed application form

-A photo

-proof of your address in Ukraine

-The application fee of approximately $5.00

-A letter from the inviting party verified by the respective state body (you also need this to apply for a long term visa). For example, NGO employees would need a letter from the inviting NGO that has been verified by the Ministry of Justice and religious workers would need a letter from their religious organization verified by the Ministry of Culture."

http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/message_09122011.html

BTW, even the old regulation allowed for permanent residency for a a foreigner who has a close relative who is a Ukrainian citizen....The new laws expand eligibility

Thanks Xebec. It will not apply to the OP as she is already there but good info. I have looked into being a permanent resident there myself but we are not at that point yet.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Although, xebec, if this is the case she could use her internal passport to go to a Ukrainian consulate in Russia and do this.

I think she will probably be Ok with a short overstay and get little more than a talking to. I do not see that Ukraine would be more strict about this than the USA.

Gary And Alla

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Update - I made it to US a month ago - did not have any troubles at the passport control. I was asked to show my urkrainian passport - that was it. The only bump I had was to arrive at the airport around 3 am to find out that Lufthansa cancelled a ticket for my 5 year old as I booked a return ticket for him and was usuing only the return portion of it. My son was in ukraine and i went to pick him up. It cost me additional $1000 to get him on th eplane with me.. Never had tickets cancelled on me like that when flying with Delta etc..

44_34_44DB9040_LMLyPLhLuLbLbLyPLiLsPLmLaLkLiLnLgPLmLePLhLaLpLpLyPLfLoLr_3.gif

Timeline

Update - I made it to US a month ago - did not have any troubles at the passport control. I was asked to show my urkrainian passport - that was it. The only bump I had was to arrive at the airport around 3 am to find out that Lufthansa cancelled a ticket for my 5 year old as I booked a return ticket for him and was usuing only the return portion of it. My son was in ukraine and i went to pick him up. It cost me additional $1000 to get him on th eplane with me.. Never had tickets cancelled on me like that when flying with Delta etc..

Good news, except about the plane fare. You can't do trhat anymore. If you want to buy round trip and save some money and not take one of the flights, always ditch the RETURN flight, never the outbound flight.

We have the situation this year where we need to fly to Chicago but it is much cheaper to fly to Milwaukee...through Chicago! But if we do not get on the plane to Milwaukee they will cancel the entire trip! Our son lives halfway between the two airports so it is no big deal to him either way, but we will have a layover at O'hare and a puddle jumper to Milwaukee, but it saves $300.

You have to take ALL flights booked, if you miss any of them, they cancel the trip. They say it is for security. It is so they get an extra $1000.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So is such airlines policy recent? 'cause I never had a promlem with Delta usignonly return portion. and i did not have a problem with domestic airline - it was Lufthansa who screwed us up. And i just caqn' justify paying $3 000 for a one way ticket for a kid.

44_34_44DB9040_LMLyPLhLuLbLbLyPLiLsPLmLaLkLiLnLgPLmLePLhLaLpLpLyPLfLoLr_3.gif

Timeline

anyone knows if while i am in ukraine could i apply for temporary residence permit in ukraine if so while i am visiting sveta we might talk about it

As mentioned above, these are applied for outside of Ukraine. You would apply for one at the Ukrainian consulate in the United States.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So is such airlines policy recent? 'cause I never had a promlem with Delta usignonly return portion. and i did not have a problem with domestic airline - it was Lufthansa who screwed us up. And i just caqn' justify paying $3 000 for a one way ticket for a kid.

Fairly, I first ran into it in 2007. Definitely post-9/11. And it may vary by airline but is seems they all do it now.

I thouhgt it was ironic that they had you show your Ukrainian passport, since technically you may no longer be a Ukrainian citizen. :unsure: Ukraine's law on the matter is so vague and they do not seem to be enforcing it at the moment. Alla still has her Ukrainian passport. :whistle:

Gary And Alla

You then need to apply for a temporary residence permit at your local immigration office (officially called VGIRFO but usually referred to by its old acronym, OVIR). The temporary residence permit gives you full legal status in Ukraine and lets you freely travel in and out of Ukraine for as long as it is valid. You will not need to apply for a new visa if you leave Ukraine and you will not need to re-register with OVIR during the permit’s validity period

from what i understood here it needs be done in ukraine i was asking do i have to have visa first or can sveta and i apply while i am with her during a visit go to OVIR office

Timeline

You then need to apply for a temporary residence permit at your local immigration office (officially called VGIRFO but usually referred to by its old acronym, OVIR). The temporary residence permit gives you full legal status in Ukraine and lets you freely travel in and out of Ukraine for as long as it is valid. You will not need to apply for a new visa if you leave Ukraine and you will not need to re-register with OVIR during the permit’s validity period

from what i understood here it needs be done in ukraine i was asking do i have to have visa first or can sveta and i apply while i am with her during a visit go to OVIR office

Thats because you only read HALF. Here it is again. A residence permit is NOT a visa, youmust have the visa FIRST before you arrive and then apply for a residence permit after arrival.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.