itsy_bitsy

Filling out N-400

22 posts in this topic

Silly question, do I have to fill out the N-400 form all in CAPITAL LETTERS as the instruction says?

Part 7. Time Outside the United States.

A. How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the past 5 years?

- Dumb question but it kinda confuses me and as paranoid as I am, I just want to make sure I type the right answer. I'm applying through a marriage-based residency. I have been here in the US since May 2007, so the past 5 years counts January 2007-April 2007 where I was still living in the Philippines. Does the "total days" spent outside the US include the days I lived in the Philippines before coming here?

Silly question, do I have to fill out the N-400 form all in CAPITAL LETTERS as the instruction says?

Part 7. Time Outside the United States.

A. How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the past 5 years?

- Dumb question but it kinda confuses me and as paranoid as I am, I just want to make sure I type the right answer. I'm applying through a marriage-based residency. I have been here in the US since May 2007, so the past 5 years counts January 2007-April 2007 where I was still living in the Philippines. Does the "total days" spent outside the US include the days I lived in the Philippines before coming here?

No question is a silly or dumb question. We all have been going through this process and when the USCIS is involved it's good to be on the picky side all the time. It does not hurt.

Yes, fill everything in capital letters. I filled out the PDF document on my computer with "CAPS LOCK" on, so you do not forget :)

This 3 year / 5 year thing is confusing many people. You are applying based on 3 year marriage to a US citizen.

Read the question as: How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the past 5 years (or 3 years) ?

and answer how many days you were out of the US for 3 years.

The same applies for your addresses and work information. Fill out everything based on 3 years instead of 5 years.

Best of luck!

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Latvia
Timeline

No question is a silly or dumb question. We all have been going through this process and when the USCIS is involved it's good to be on the picky side all the time. It does not hurt.

Yes, fill everything in capital letters. I filled out the PDF document on my computer with "CAPS LOCK" on, so you do not forget :)

This 3 year / 5 year thing is confusing many people. You are applying based on 3 year marriage to a US citizen.

Read the question as: How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the past 5 years (or 3 years) ?

The same applies for your addresses and work information. Fill out everything based on 3 years instead of 5 years.

Best of luck!

see i wish i asked that quastion when i filed out my N400.applyed based on 3 year marriage,but still filled out everything for the last 5 years.i hope IO wont give me hard time about that.LOL

11/12/11.....N400 send to Nebraska service center

11/14/11.....N400 delivered to NE

11/21/11.....Check cashed

11/23/11......NOA recived in the mail(priority date nov 14)(notice date nov 21)..(you will be notified of the date and place of your interview when you have been scheduled by the local USCIS office.you should expect to be notified withing 90 days of this notice)

12/13/11......got text and email about biometric letter being send out

12/17/11.......got biometric letter in the mail(appointment date dec 28th)

12/19/11.....did early walk in FP

12/22/11.......got email and text about being placed in line for interview scheduling

01/30/12.......got email from my IO were i was asked to pick my own interview date and send email back with the date i picked

02/06/12......got INETRVIEW email with appointment letter(have to print that out and bring with me on the interview day)

02/28/12.......INTERVIEW with oath on the same day(as long i pass the test afcorse.)

I AM US CITIZEN

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for the clarification. One more question if you don't mind. In Part 10 B, 8 a. Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization, association, fund foundation, party, club, society, or similar group in the United States or in any other place?

- Does this include religious organization? Should I write down my religion under "Name of Group" or should I just skip this part?

Thanks again. :)

Thanks a lot for the clarification. One more question if you don't mind. In Part 10 B, 8 a. Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization, association, fund foundation, party, club, society, or similar group in the United States or in any other place?

- Does this include religious organization? Should I write down my religion under "Name of Group" or should I just skip this part?

Religion on its own is not an organization. So you can skip that part. In my case, I wrote down a professional organization that I belonged to (an engineering organization).

Filed: Other Timeline

You need to focus.

What does the word ANY mean? What does it mean to you? I tell you what its real meaning is: ANY. Any and all!

So if you are a member of COSTCO/Price Club, write it in unless you don't mind misrepresenting yourself to a government agent. AAA Auto Club? Ralph's or Von's Club? A religious organization?

It's not your business to decide what's important to them. They know what's important and what isn't, and they decide that all on their own. Your job is to list these affiliations and memberships truthfully. Not more, not less. It's not really complicated or tricky. Any means any and all.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You need to focus.

What does the word ANY mean? What does it mean to you? I tell you what its real meaning is: ANY. Any and all!

So if you are a member of COSTCO/Price Club, write it in unless you don't mind misrepresenting yourself to a government agent. AAA Auto Club? Ralph's or Von's Club? A religious organization?

It's not your business to decide what's important to them. They know what's important and what isn't, and they decide that all on their own. Your job is to list these affiliations and memberships truthfully. Not more, not less. It's not really complicated or tricky. Any means any and all.

If you are a member of a religious organization, write it down. But if you are just a religious person and attend church/synagogue/temple etc., I do not think that you need to list your religion there.

Filed: Other Timeline

If you are a member of a religious organization, write it down. But if you are just a religious person and attend church/synagogue/temple etc., I do not think that you need to list your religion there.

Correct.

If she just silently burns incest and sacrifices snails in the privacy of her home and does not belong to any organized religious organization, like a church, she doesn't have to reveal her religious practice to the immigration folks.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Best of luck!

Do you have to write down the exact dates? I mean in a month + day + year format? I can't remember some of the dates exactly. Like how is it possible to remember what exact date you moved into an apartment or the exact date you were hired at a job? And I don't wanna make up dates just to follow the mm/dd/yyyy format. Would the month + year suffice?

Edited by itsy_bitsy

Do you have to write down the exact dates? I mean in a month + day + year format? I can't remember some of the dates exactly. Like how is it possible to remember what exact date you moved into an apartment or the exact date you were hired at a job? And I don't wanna make up dates just to follow the mm/dd/yyyy format. Would the month + year suffice?

They want the mm/dd/yyyy format. You can call your ex-employer's HR department and your ex-apartment leasing office for exact dates. In case you cannot get the exact date, make your best guess.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It never would have remotely occurred to me to write down my church in that question - it doesn't say anything about RELIGIOUS organisations in the question. But I wrote down the Friends of the Library because it is a registered organisation, and otherwise that section would be entirely blank.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

For the tax return requirements, we filed our last 2 tax returns (2009 and 2010) online via the H&R Block software. Would the print outs be OK to submit? The tax return print outs say "copy only, do not file", so I'm wondering if USCIS will consider online print-outs of tax returns as legit.

For the tax return requirements, we filed our last 2 tax returns (2009 and 2010) online via the H&R Block software. Would the print outs be OK to submit? The tax return print outs say "copy only, do not file", so I'm wondering if USCIS will consider online print-outs of tax returns as legit.

As far as I know they want tax transcripts, not copies of your tax returns. You can order tax transcripts from the IRS. Check out the IRS website.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Latvia
Timeline

As far as I know they want tax transcripts, not copies of your tax returns. You can order tax transcripts from the IRS. Check out the IRS website.

i was just trying to order some,but really had no idea what i need to order.my hubby also said he has no idea on what is needed

11/12/11.....N400 send to Nebraska service center

11/14/11.....N400 delivered to NE

11/21/11.....Check cashed

11/23/11......NOA recived in the mail(priority date nov 14)(notice date nov 21)..(you will be notified of the date and place of your interview when you have been scheduled by the local USCIS office.you should expect to be notified withing 90 days of this notice)

12/13/11......got text and email about biometric letter being send out

12/17/11.......got biometric letter in the mail(appointment date dec 28th)

12/19/11.....did early walk in FP

12/22/11.......got email and text about being placed in line for interview scheduling

01/30/12.......got email from my IO were i was asked to pick my own interview date and send email back with the date i picked

02/06/12......got INETRVIEW email with appointment letter(have to print that out and bring with me on the interview day)

02/28/12.......INTERVIEW with oath on the same day(as long i pass the test afcorse.)

I AM US CITIZEN

i was just trying to order some,but really had no idea what i need to order.my hubby also said he has no idea on what is needed

Go to the below IRS link and order a tax return transcript

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Edited by nwctzn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.