olumides_wife

Help! 1st trip to Ibadan, Nigeria May 2012!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone!

I will be going to Ibadan, Nigeria May 2012 to met and marry my fiance and I am a little scared not of the people but b/c this is a whole new experience to say the least. My fiance undeniably won my heart since we have been talking via phone, web cam, chat for the last 8 months and we have the BEST relationship ever! I gave him a VERRRRRRY hard time lol but he hung in there (love you pookie!) Neway... He first tried to get a visa to come here to America but was denied :( and so it is my turn to go to him since that didn't work. So now I am trying to get everything in line so I can be sure of what I am doing so here are my questions, (for now)... please answer any and or all of them as you wish...thank you in advance!

1. Does my daughter (6 yrs old) need to have the yellow fever shot?

2. Any one know of any hotels to stay in in Ibadan, Nigeria that I can book online? (I am not staying with my fiance not until afte we are married)

3. How is the experience at the airport in Lagos for a US citizen?

4. Do I need to take cash? how much?

5. Can I use my atm card there?

6. Do i need to get an international cell phone?

I think that is it for now....my fiance tells me things from his side...but I need to hear from someone that has "been there done that"!

Thanks!

Congrats on ur new found love :) I just recently went to Nigeria for the first time a few months ago. I'll try and help with a couple of your questions...

1 and 2 ???? Lol.

3. The experience at the airport is a lil different than we're use to but very welcoming and friendly.

4 and 5 You should carry cash. I tried all my cards out there and even notified my bank I was traveling but wasn't successful with using any of my cards.

6. If u have a US sim on ur phone u can carry that and use ur fiancé phone. Or get a international phone. I also got international access on my personal cell and it couldn't be used out there.

There's lots prepping you need to do prior to going out there, it's a whole new world. But it's wonderful there...

*** it shall be done in Gods time, not mans time ***

A thousand years to you are like one day; they are like yesterday, already gone, like a short hour in the night. Psalms 90:4

Congrats on ur new found love :) I just recently went to Nigeria for the first time a few months ago. I'll try and help with a couple of your questions...

1 and 2 ???? Lol.

3. The experience at the airport is a lil different than we're use to but very welcoming and friendly.

4 and 5 You should carry cash. I tried all my cards out there and even notified my bank I was traveling but wasn't successful with using any of my cards.

6. If u have a US sim on ur phone u can carry that and use ur fiancé phone. Or get a international phone. I also got international access on my personal cell and it couldn't be used out there.

There's lots prepping you need to do prior to going out there, it's a whole new world. But it's wonderful there...

first thank you! LOL...let me clarify for #1 (lol)...okay so I need a Nigerian visa right? and also a Yellow fever vaccination? i was just wondering if my daughter that is 6 needed this shot too...if I am wrong about the shot than please correct me I would love to not have to get it...lol...okay so cash (check) about how much will I need? and was it easy to get the visa for you?...thanks a lot for all your help! this is not for the faint of heart!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Answers are inline...

Hi everyone!

I will be going to Ibadan, Nigeria May 2012 to met and marry my fiance and I am a little scared not of the people but b/c this is a whole new experience to say the least. My fiance undeniably won my heart since we have been talking via phone, web cam, chat for the last 8 months and we have the BEST relationship ever! I gave him a VERRRRRRY hard time lol but he hung in there (love you pookie!) Neway... He first tried to get a visa to come here to America but was denied :( and so it is my turn to go to him since that didn't work. So now I am trying to get everything in line so I can be sure of what I am doing so here are my questions, (for now)... please answer any and or all of them as you wish...thank you in advance!

1. Does my daughter (6 yrs old) need to have the yellow fever shot? Can't answer this one as I didn't take my children when I travelled. But go to www.cdc.gov and that should tell you. Also you will have to get permission from her Father before she can be taken out of the country...in case you didn't know that.

(mine

2. Any one know of any hotels to stay in in Ibadan, Nigeria that I can book online? (I am not staying with my fiance not until afte we are married) No answer for this one either...as I travelled to Lagos. One suggestion is to let your fiance make the hotel arrangements (mine did) as it is his city and he would know the good from the bad. You can also do a search online of hotels in Ibadan and have him check them out physically.

3. How is the experience at the airport in Lagos for a US citizen? My experience was uneventful, although kind of stressful because it was my first visit. I received no hassles from the guards coming or going.

4. Do I need to take cash? how much? I took about $400 cash with me on my flight, but...and here it depends on your level of trust of your SO...I western unioned the bulk of funds to my then fiance because I didn't want to carry a huge amount on the plane...approximately $3000. This also depends on how long you will be staying there

5. Can I use my atm card there? No do not use your ATM there...period

6. Do i need to get an international cell phone? Yes, check with your cell phone provider, some will rent them to you (i.e., verizon)

I think that is it for now....my fiance tells me things from his side...but I need to hear from someone that has "been there done that"!

Thanks!

I hope you have as an enjoyable trip as I did on mine. I am also sure other members will follow with more information. And Welcome to VJ!

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok first I would not advice you to attempt putting your card in any machine. If its an ATM card issued i nNja fine but CC from here? hmmm I dnt know abt that but I would not.

You should not have problems at the airport if someone is coming to pick you up. the atmpshre is nice , a bit slow and maybe lil backward depending on what you are used to ( unless things have changes since oct 2010 when I last traveled,). The customs officer may ask you to give them something for the holidays...its entirely up to you, dnt let anyone pressure you.

you will need N100- N200 to rent one of the carts to wheel your luggage out of the airport.

The amount to take depeneds on your length of stay and what you will be doing but whatever you decide make sure you have at least $500 kept at the buttom of your luggage to be used only in extreme emeregncy in case you get stranded.

you do not need an international phone as roaming may be costly for you. with N5k you can get very basic Nokia phone and then load up calling credit to make calls.

Now hotels in Ibadan? i canot help with that..I am sure there will be but the proximty and to where you ur fiance will be may be an issue

vaccine? I dnt think she needs it but verify with your healthcare provider.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

i would suggest a typhoid shot and malaria tablets...Yellow fever??? no u don't need that. Your future husband should know about hotels in ibadan since he lives there. Lagos airport is always crazy even to people who are use to it. so just stay calm and the heat will hit you. Often you will wait very unusual long for your luggage be patient it is not lost...however my luggage has been lost twice in the past but it wasn't the fault of the Nigerian airport. everything is unorganized just focus and don't give them customs ppl much mind they will want to check your bags but with me i just give them a sexy smile if its a guy and once he see's my cleavage he lets me go without checking nuthing...lol can't believe i said that but they are flirts and its tru 4 me at least. take cash please. cash is important. Also if you have tmobile, or a at&t wireless phone that uses a sim card all you have to do is get it unlocked here and once u get there you can buy a sim card and register it. really cheap like a few hundred naira. awwww have fun i'm excited for you wish i was going. take mosquito repellent as well. it never worked for me but it works for my sis.

Edited by Queen-O

Bolanle & Kingsley's CR1 Timeline

12/19/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

12/21/11: Package delivered

12/23/11: NOA1 via text / Initial review

12/27/11: Check Cashed by USCIS Chicago Lockbox

05/10/12: NOA2 via text/email I-130 APPROVED!!!

NVC Process

5/29/12: NVC received our case

6/10/12: Received case#

6/12/12: DS-3032 Email sent

6/12/12: I-864 (AOS) invoice email received

6/15/12: AOS fee paid Online (Paid)

6/21/12: DS-3032 acceptance email received

6/22/12: Immigrant visa fee invoice email received

7/01/12: I-864 (AOS) package sent to NVC

8/24/12: RFE sent to NVC

10/5/12: IV Bill paid

10/20/12: DS-230 package sent to NVC

11/13/12: case complete with NVC

11/26/12: case @ embassy in Nigeria

12/26/12:NTERVIEW SCHEDULED for 01/23/13!!! WHOOOOWHOOO

12/31/12: sent documents needed for interview to hubby through DHL

01/10/13: Hubby medical exam completed

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok first I would not advice you to attempt putting your card in any machine. If its an ATM card issued i nNja fine but CC from here? hmmm I dnt know abt that but I would not.

You should not have problems at the airport if someone is coming to pick you up. the atmpshre is nice , a bit slow and maybe lil backward depending on what you are used to ( unless things have changes since oct 2010 when I last traveled,). The customs officer may ask you to give them something for the holidays...its entirely up to you, dnt let anyone pressure you.

you will need N100- N200 to rent one of the carts to wheel your luggage out of the airport.

The amount to take depeneds on your length of stay and what you will be doing but whatever you decide make sure you have at least $500 kept at the buttom of your luggage to be used only in extreme emeregncy in case you get stranded.

you do not need an international phone as roaming may be costly for you. with N5k you can get very basic Nokia phone and then load up calling credit to make calls.

Now hotels in Ibadan? i canot help with that..I am sure there will be but the proximty and to where you ur fiance will be may be an issue

vaccine? I dnt think she needs it but verify with your healthcare provider.

money in luggage? hmmmm i beg to differ. why? well i don't wanna scare her but i feel luggage is an obvious place. and luggage gets misplaced!

Bolanle & Kingsley's CR1 Timeline

12/19/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

12/21/11: Package delivered

12/23/11: NOA1 via text / Initial review

12/27/11: Check Cashed by USCIS Chicago Lockbox

05/10/12: NOA2 via text/email I-130 APPROVED!!!

NVC Process

5/29/12: NVC received our case

6/10/12: Received case#

6/12/12: DS-3032 Email sent

6/12/12: I-864 (AOS) invoice email received

6/15/12: AOS fee paid Online (Paid)

6/21/12: DS-3032 acceptance email received

6/22/12: Immigrant visa fee invoice email received

7/01/12: I-864 (AOS) package sent to NVC

8/24/12: RFE sent to NVC

10/5/12: IV Bill paid

10/20/12: DS-230 package sent to NVC

11/13/12: case complete with NVC

11/26/12: case @ embassy in Nigeria

12/26/12:NTERVIEW SCHEDULED for 01/23/13!!! WHOOOOWHOOO

12/31/12: sent documents needed for interview to hubby through DHL

01/10/13: Hubby medical exam completed

Answers are inline...

I hope you have as an enjoyable trip as I did on mine. I am also sure other members will follow with more information. And Welcome to VJ!

Thank you thank you thank you!

I did not know that I needed permission from her father :(....well I guess I will get on that ASAP! I hope he cooperates...thank you for all the information I am definitely taking notes!

i would suggest a typhoid shot and malaria tablets...Yellow fever??? no u don't need that. Your future husband should know about hotels in ibadan since he lives there. Lagos airport is always crazy even to people who are use to it. so just stay calm and the heat will hit you. Often you will wait very unusual long for your luggage be patient it is not lost...however my luggage has been lost twice in the past but it wasn't the fault of the Nigerian airport. everything is unorganized just focus and don't give them customs ppl much mind they will want to check your bags but with me i just give them a sexy smile if its a guy and once he see's my cleavage he lets me go without checking nuthing...lol can't believe i said that but they are flirts and its tru 4 me at least. take cash please. cash is important. Also if you have tmobile, or a at&t wireless phone that uses a sim card all you have to do is get it unlocked here and once u get there you can buy a sim card and register it. really cheap like a few hundred naira. awwww have fun i'm excited for you wish i was going. take mosquito repellent as well. it never worked for me but it works for my sis.

LOL..(to the cleavage thing)...I am quite nervous but excited as well...yes I have tmobile so I will get that unlocked! (thank you)...as for the yellow fever is read this •A certificate of yellow fever vaccination may be required for entry into certain countries in West Africa....and I have been told to have it...so I was just going to be safe and get it...typhoid shot?....malaria tablets...(on my list)...thanks for the tips at the airport...he better right there when I get off the plane lol...ummmm....yes he's checking in to hotels for me...but for the nigeria visa it says I need to show them hotel resevations? so I thought I needed to do it....oh dear...glad i am getting all this worked out now!....thank you so much!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone!

2. Any one know of any hotels to stay in in Ibadan, Nigeria that I can book online? (I am not staying with my fiance not until afte we are married)

3. How is the experience at the airport in Lagos for a US citizen?

4. Do I need to take cash? how much?

6. Do i need to get an international cell phone?

Thanks!

-does ur daughter have to go now?

-her doctor should know what shots to give her b4 u travel

-make sure she's drinking water from the bottle in Nigeria/Ibadan

-act smart, not corky, but aware from airport and else where

-take cash.. i never take my cc's out of U.S especially for Nigeria

-Make sure ur comfortable with the hotel chosen

-Be careful!

Civ4UrA.jpgCiv4m5.png

first thank you! LOL...let me clarify for #1 (lol)...okay so I need a Nigerian visa right? and also a Yellow fever vaccination? i was just wondering if my daughter that is 6 needed this shot too...if I am wrong about the shot than please correct me I would love to not have to get it...lol...okay so cash (check) about how much will I need? and was it easy to get the visa for you?...thanks a lot for all your help! this is not for the faint of heart!

Yes, you definitely need a Nigeria visa. It doesnt take long if you get it expedited, mine came just in time I applied for it Monday and had it in hand the following Monday (all expedited) and boarded the plane Tuesday. lol... I totally procrastinated on that. But thank God it arrived on time. Otherwise I believe it takes a few weeks. You'll need to send your hotel reservation and itinerary when requesting your visa. If you decide to stay with him instead of a hotel, you'll need him to draft an invitation letter for you. I would say if you plan on going in May, request your visa in March/April... As for the shots, i dont think they are a requirement for Nigeria. I know they are for Ghana, but not Nigeria. But in this case shes a child so not sure...

*** it shall be done in Gods time, not mans time ***

A thousand years to you are like one day; they are like yesterday, already gone, like a short hour in the night. Psalms 90:4

-does ur daughter have to go now?

-her doctor should know what shots to give her b4 u travel

-make sure she's drinking water from the bottle in Nigeria/Ibadan

-act smart, not corky, but aware from airport and else where

-take cash.. i never take my cc's out of U.S especially for Nigeria

-Make sure ur comfortable with the hotel chosen

-Be careful!

Well as for my daughter she was going b/c my mom wanted to go...and she is the one that watches her for me when school is out but it may be better is she doesn't go...but if she does I will definitely talk to her dc (duh lol)....thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You will have to make it though immigrations and customs without him. The baggae cart booth will take US dollars. Pay get a cart get your bags. Once you have gotten them and gotten into the customs area you may meet up with him depending his tipping skills. DO NOT accept assistance from strangers. You would be suprised at how fast a bag can run through the parking area without you.

Send yourself severeal WU transfers, collect as needed. IF you don't use it pick it up after your trip.

You daugter will need notarized permission from her father to leave the US otherwise she won't be able to board the plane.

Never drink local water or use ice cubes or eat lettuce that holds lots of water

Make sure to get malaria pills for the right region the ones for Africa are different than the once for Africa.

Dress modestly unless you want your future mother in law to think you are a tramp.

Nigerian hotels search Try here for hotels

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone!

3. How is the experience at the airport in Lagos for a US citizen? .

4. Do I need to take cash? how much? You need cash

6. Do i need to get an international cell phone? I think that is it for now....my fiance tells me things from his side...but I need to hear from someone that has "been there done that"!

Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is visit the Nigerian Consulate and apply for your visa, you will need to wait for them to mail back your passport, and ensure that if you are bringing your daughter you need to have written permission from her father before she can be issued a visa.

1. Look on the cdc website. You and your daughter should visit a travel clinic, get anti-malaria pills and the typhoid pills( you need to take the typhoid pills before you travel) and keep taking the anti malaria pills when you get back.

2.Drink only bottled water (Eva water) is a good brand.

3.The experience dealing with customs at the airport is different for everyone.

4.Most definitely bring only cash and leave your credit cards and atm card at home.

5.If you have a tmobile or att phone then you should be ok, you may have to get the phone unlocked but that should be it.

6.Keep your cash on your person while flying, keep some five dollar bills in your pockets to use as tip money, cause chances are you will be asked for a tip.

At the airport, porters will offer to help take your luggage outside, keep very close eyes on them because they move fast and make sure that who ever is meeting you at the airport stays close enough so you can see them.

We are all here to help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.