olumides_wife

Help! 1st trip to Ibadan, Nigeria May 2012!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

You will have to make it though immigrations and customs without him. The baggae cart booth will take US dollars. Pay get a cart get your bags. Once you have gotten them and gotten into the customs area you may meet up with him depending his tipping skills. DO NOT accept assistance from strangers. You would be suprised at how fast a bag can run through the parking area without you.

Send yourself severeal WU transfers, collect as needed. IF you don't use it pick it up after your trip.

You daugter will need notarized permission from her father to leave the US otherwise she won't be able to board the plane.

Never drink local water or use ice cubes or eat lettuce that holds lots of water

Make sure to get malaria pills for the right region the ones for Africa are different than the once for Africa.

Dress modestly unless you want your future mother in law to think you are a tramp.

Nigerian hotels search Try here for hotels

WOW!(to the running bag)...and thank you very much I am writing all this down...I have a notebook going of things for my first trip! I truly appreciate the tips! So I can just WU myself money? I just send it to Nigeria to myself? LOL..sorry if I sound stupid...as for my daughter and mom we have decided for them not to go....dress modestly (check)!

The first thing you need to do is visit the Nigerian Consulate and apply for your visa, you will need to wait for them to mail back your passport, and ensure that if you are bringing your daughter you need to have written permission from her father before she can be issued a visa.

1. Look on the cdc website. You and your daughter should visit a travel clinic, get anti-malaria pills and the typhoid pills( you need to take the typhoid pills before you travel) and keep taking the anti malaria pills when you get back.

2.Drink only bottled water (Eva water) is a good brand.

3.The experience dealing with customs at the airport is different for everyone.

4.Most definitely bring only cash and leave your credit cards and atm card at home.

5.If you have a tmobile or att phone then you should be ok, you may have to get the phone unlocked but that should be it.

6.Keep your cash on your person while flying, keep some five dollar bills in your pockets to use as tip money, cause chances are you will be asked for a tip.

At the airport, porters will offer to help take your luggage outside, keep very close eyes on them because they move fast and make sure that who ever is meeting you at the airport stays close enough so you can see them.

We are all here to help.

I am so grateful for all of the help...I think I am going to be very well set by the time I go! I still have some questions but I will ask them as time goes on...my daughter is actually not going to go...her and my mom are going to stay behind this first time around...going alone....but I know I will be okay....I'm excited and nervous for sure!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When I went there were a number of shots I had to get, typhoid, another hep a shot, yellow fever. You will receive a international shot record that is usually on a yellow card with dates. You should definately bring that with you. Also, yes you need a visa to go to Nigeria. As far as the bank card issue, I was able to use my Bank of America card in ATM's in Nigeria, as long as it had the VISA logo. I did not have an alert on my card. But I would definately check with your bank before leaving. My banks website told me locations of ATM's in Nigeria that accepted my card. You will be paid in naira's however.

Ok first I would not advice you to attempt putting your card in any machine. If its an ATM card issued i nNja fine but CC from here? hmmm I dnt know abt that but I would not.

You should not have problems at the airport if someone is coming to pick you up. the atmpshre is nice , a bit slow and maybe lil backward depending on what you are used to ( unless things have changes since oct 2010 when I last traveled,). The customs officer may ask you to give them something for the holidays...its entirely up to you, dnt let anyone pressure you.

you will need N100- N200 to rent one of the carts to wheel your luggage out of the airport.

The amount to take depeneds on your length of stay and what you will be doing but whatever you decide make sure you have at least $500 kept at the buttom of your luggage to be used only in extreme emeregncy in case you get stranded.

you do not need an international phone as roaming may be costly for you. with N5k you can get very basic Nokia phone and then load up calling credit to make calls.

Now hotels in Ibadan? i canot help with that..I am sure there will be but the proximty and to where you ur fiance will be may be an issue

vaccine? I dnt think she needs it but verify with your healthcare provider.

When I went there were a number of shots I had to get, typhoid, another hep a shot, yellow fever. You will receive a international shot record that is usually on a yellow card with dates. You should definately bring that with you. Also, yes you need a visa to go to Nigeria. As far as the bank card issue, I was able to use my Bank of America card in ATM's in Nigeria, as long as it had the VISA logo. I did not have an alert on my card. But I would definately check with your bank before leaving. My banks website told me locations of ATM's in Nigeria that accepted my card. You will be paid in naira's however.

thank you very much I do have BOA so I will check in with them and see what they recommend! Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.