Susan+Masoud

How do we ask to send our case to a difference embassy?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hello everyone! I have been trying to find out if there is a form or a place on a form where NVC would ask for the applicant's choice of where their case to be sent, but no luck.

We're from Iran. I am the US citizen (petitioner) and my wife is currently in Iran (applicant). We just got our case number yesterday from NVC and it starts with NPL, which based on the info I've seen here and on NVC website it is supposed to represent the case is assigned to Naples, Italy.

It would be much more difficult for my wife to get a tourist visa for Italy for her interview. We were thinking the case would be assigned to Turkey (which requires no visa from Iranians) or Ab Dhabi (which is easy to get tourist visa for Iranians), so this was a surprise! The expense to go to Italy is also much much higher, but worst trying to coordinate the visa time frame for Italy (if she can get a visa) with the time we have to be there for interview would be difficult.

I've sent an email to NVC asking to see what can be done to assign the case to either Turkey or Abu Dhabi, but haven't heard back yet.

Has anyone been able to have their case sent to a different embassy after the NVC had already assigned the case? What's the process to do that?

Should we leave it for Italy? Is there any advantage to go to Italy instead of Turkey or Abu Dhabi?

Any other Iranians who had interview at Naples, Italy? Would you please share your experience and how you got visa for Italy?

All your help is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to email the embassy that the case is going to and request them with the case number to send it to the embassy you want instead.

Then you need to email the embassy that you want the case at and let them know that the other embassy is going to send them your case.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

hello masoud!

i am in the process of changing the embassy because when i filed I-130 we both were on vacataion in pakistan so we wrote the address of pakistan but he resides in ireland from last 5 yrs and i am in USA . now when i got NVC case number they assigned embassy in pakistan but i want to change it to ireland .

i called and they said send us proof of his residence through email like his pasport with valid visa or his tax id number or registeration card............. i sent ........... they replied now give us his current address of ireland.......... i emailed his current address today............. when they will respond i will inform you :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in ur case did you send ur wife's all documents of IRAN ?

their is a possiblity they did by mistake

did u call to ask NPL is it for nepal consulate or consulate in IRAN

or

wait lets see whats their response for my wait i will inform u

Timeline

You need to email the embassy that the case is going to and request them with the case number to send it to the embassy you want instead.

Then you need to email the embassy that you want the case at and let them know that the other embassy is going to send them your case.

Wow!! But, that sounds like it would add a couple of months to the whole process! That's even if they reply or accept the case to be sent to their post. :(

Timeline

hello masoud!

i am in the process of changing the embassy because when i filed I-130 we both were on vacataion in pakistan so we wrote the address of pakistan but he resides in ireland from last 5 yrs and i am in USA . now when i got NVC case number they assigned embassy in pakistan but i want to change it to ireland .

i called and they said send us proof of his residence through email like his pasport with valid visa or his tax id number or registeration card............. i sent ........... they replied now give us his current address of ireland.......... i emailed his current address today............. when they will respond i will inform you :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in ur case did you send ur wife's all documents of IRAN ?

their is a possiblity they did by mistake

did u call to ask NPL is it for nepal consulate or consulate in IRAN

or

wait lets see whats their response for my wait i will inform u

I had all the forms filled out when I visited her 2 months ago in Iran. Naples, Italy is one of the countries where they accept cases from Iranian applicants, but getting a visa for Italy is very difficult. For example they want a copy of home ownership proof in Iran, and proof from their bank that she has enough money in her account (not sure what is the min amount). She doesn't own a home in Iran and her bank account is not much.

We never asked and never had an opportunity to ask for a certain embassy, so this was just automatic. I'm not sure how she can get visa to go there for an interview when the time comes. I'm not sure why NVC doesn't consider these things when they send a case to there. Everything was going smooth until this problem.

Thanks!

The USA embassy in Italy is for different countries ( Malta , Iran etc) i would start to take care of the Italian visa in the meantime. Make sure you show them evidence ( interview appontment, marriage cretificate if any ) it shouldn't be hard to get it.

Good luck and we really hope this is not gonna delay everything

2010 OCT 07 MARRIED

2010 NOV 19 I130 SENT

2010 NOV 22 NOA1

2011 APR 04 NOA2

2011 APR 18 CASE RECEIVED BY NVC

2011 JUN 06 CASE COMPLETED AT NVC

2011 JUN 09 CASE LEFT NVC

2011 JUL 27 INTERVIEW

quadrifoglio.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We never asked and never had an opportunity to ask for a certain embassy, so this was just automatic. I'm not sure how she can get visa to go there for an interview when the time comes. I'm not sure why NVC doesn't consider these things when they send a case to there. Everything was going smooth until this problem.

On question #22 of the I-130 it says this:

If your relative is eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in

then it gives a place for city and country

Did you leave that blank?

I don't know much about having files moved from post to post. A potential issue is the post your are requesting the file be transferred to probably has the discretion of whether or not to accept to the file. Specific to your situation, the Embassy in Ankara or Abu Dhabi probably has the discretion of whether or not they will accept the file from the Consulate in Napoli.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

On question #22 of the I-130 it says this:

then it gives a place for city and country

Did you leave that blank?

I don't know much about having files moved from post to post. A potential issue is the post your are requesting the file be transferred to probably has the discretion of whether or not to accept to the file. Specific to your situation, the Embassy in Ankara or Abu Dhabi probably has the discretion of whether or not they will accept the file from the Consulate in Napoli.

OH NO!! :bonk:

I read the question #22 on I-130 and didn't think it would apply to her since she is not in the U.S. and lives in Iran. That sounds like a trick question!! :blush:

I put down "N/A" for both City and State and City and Country.

Does that still apply in this case since she is not in U.S. and will not be applying for adjustment of status there? If that's the case, then it explains why they picked Italy (Turkey and Ab Dhabi probably have heavier workload).

Edited by Susan+Masoud

Timeline

The USA embassy in Italy is for different countries ( Malta , Iran etc) i would start to take care of the Italian visa in the meantime. Make sure you show them evidence ( interview appontment, marriage cretificate if any ) it shouldn't be hard to get it.

Good luck and we really hope this is not gonna delay everything

Thanks luisarsema! :unsure:

I will have to do whatever possible to get her the visa. I will be going to visit her for couple of weeks in mid-July, so we'll have to make a trip to the Italian embassy and pray and hope that they will accept that as evidence that she is not planning on staying in Italy for any other reason. The other hard part is to plan the round-trip dates and hotel reservation in hopes that it won't require more than a week stay. I'll have to arrange all that before asking for her visa. They want those documented with the application before they will consider the visa application. :huh:

Edited by Susan+Masoud

Timeline

Don't worry inshALLAH everything will be fine............. did u already Email NVC in regards to that?

Did u call them ?

Hello,

I didn't call them yet. I emailed them the information 2 days ago, but haven't heard anything back. If I don't hear back by Monday, then I will call them.

In some ways Italy may be a better choice (since their work load may be not as heavy) and I've heard most people get their visa next day or two, but in other ways it's more difficult to get there (requires more planning and $$$$ and visa from Italian embassy in Iran).

I'll keep you all posted on what they say.

Edited by Susan+Masoud

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OH NO!! :bonk:

I read the question #22 on I-130 and didn't think it would apply to her since she is not in the U.S. and lives in Iran. That sounds like a trick question!! :blush:

I put down "N/A" for both City and State and City and Country.

Does that still apply in this case since she is not in U.S. and will not be applying for adjustment of status there? If that's the case, then it explains why they picked Italy (Turkey and Ab Dhabi probably have heavier workload).

I agree that it is not demarcated well. For those of you who have not seen the I-130, I've put a picture of the question #22 section here. I also just noticed that my mind was moving quicker than my hand and I forgot to type the word "not" in my previous post about this.

i130q22.jpg

In the right hand section of the section, you put the Embassy or Consulate in your country that issues Immigrant Visas. In the case where the spouse lives in Iran, this is where you would put Ankara, Turkey.

OP: If you are successful in getting your file transferred, it would likely be Ankara that it would go to. I'll say it again, it's provided they accept the file. I looked at the websites for both Embassies (Ankara & Abu Dhabi) and Ankara typically handles IV's for Iranian beneficiaries (as does the Consulate in Napoli). I saw nothing for Iranian applicants on the website for Abu Dhabi, however there is no harm in asking.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.