JD81

How to get an Affidavit of Single Status

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello ladies and gent.

My name is Jayden I'm a new members to VisaJourney. I recently got engage in Vietnam just about one month ago from now, and I have some question that I'm having a hard time with. It would be very helpful if any one could help a new comer :D We are planning to get married next year and I'm new to this, so I would like to know where do I apply for an Affidavit of Single Status in the U.S.? Are there any requirement to get the Affidavit of Single Status? Since I'm not in Vietnam, so I don't think I could get a Affidavit of Single Status over there.

Thank for the help :D

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello ladies and gent.

My name is Jayden I'm a new members to VisaJourney. I recently got engage in Vietnam just about one month ago from now, and I have some question that I'm having a hard time with. It would be very helpful if any one could help a new comer :D We are planning to get married next year and I'm new to this, so I would like to know where do I apply for an Affidavit of Single Status in the U.S.? Are there any requirement to get the Affidavit of Single Status? Since I'm not in Vietnam, so I don't think I could get a Affidavit of Single Status over there.

Check the Vietnam regional forum here. The people there can help you with that answer!:thumbs:

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Check the Vietnam regional forum here. The people there can help you with that answer!:thumbs:

Please disregard my first post here! I was having a senior moment!:bonk:

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Timeline

Hello ladies and gent.

Howdy JD and welcome to the regional forum here. I went to our county court house and went to the clerk there and had them do a search for marriage. She found no record of marriage for me and filled out a form and stamped it. That is what I sent in and was accepted. My friend who just married a few months ago a VN babe did the same but he also sent a request to the state and got the same thing done and sent both in. I believe it was the secretary of states office.

The county clerk charged me 10 dollars but I am sure that varies.

Edited by luckytxn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The division of vital records in your state can do a marriage record check for you. Like luckytxn said you can also go to the county level. in my case the county where i live wouldn't do it. so i went to the state level.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hello VJ I'm still confused. I just went through a website and saw this it show me some instruction. Here it is

How to Get a Single Status Affidavit

http://www.ehow.com/how_7296009_single-status-affidavit.html

1. Perform an online search for the specific policies of the country where you are getting married. Some country's websites have detailed instructions and marriage documents that can be downloaded directly from the site. Download the required document, fill it out, and follow directions to submit it along with any required fees.

2. Visit a website that prepares or sells legal documents such as Apostille U.S or Legalization Wizard.

3. Select "Preparation Documents." A list of document will appear on the page. Select "Single Status."

4. Fill out the online application. Select "Online Application Form" located on the top of the page and fill out the application form.

5. Select "Continue" located at the bottom of the page.

6. Review the price estimate and the terms of agreement. Select "Continue" and fill out the contact information form.

7. Select from the available payment choices, fill out payment information, review the status of the order and submit payment. The order will be begin processing after payment. The minimum time for this process is one business day. You will receive information on how to retrieve and download your affidavit.

8. Download and print the affidavit, and bring it to a notary public to have it notarized in your state. To find the nearest notary public go to NotaryPubic.com

9. Mail or fax the document back to the company that prepared the document. Within a minimum of four business days, you will receive the final official document in the mail.

so my question is should I follow this instruction? Or is there other way? Also how much did it cost you to get the Single Status Affidavit? I went to a dich vu and ask them they say it cost $300 something for it. Is that true? Also please give me a better detail as to what I need to do and where to go to get the paper. Did I mention I'm new to this stuff this is my first time, so please any help would be great :D

The division of vital records in your state can do a marriage record check for you. Like luckytxn said you can also go to the county level. in my case the county where i live wouldn't do it. so i went to the state level.

good luck

What is "Division of Vital Records" and "County Level or State Level" I don't quite understand what they are. Please be more specific. Thank you

Timeline

What is "Division of Vital Records" and "County Level or State Level" I don't quite understand what they are. Please be more specific. Thank you

Not sure about where you are, but where I live its at the DMV in County Court House.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

notary public to have it notarized in your state. To find the nearest notary public go to NotaryPubic.com

9. Mail or fax the document back to the company that prepared the document. Within a minimum of four business days, you will receive the final official document in the mail.

so my question is should I follow this instruction? Or is there other way? Also how much did it cost you to get the Single Status Affidavit? I went to a dich vu and ask them they say it cost $300 something for it. Is that true? Also please give me a better detail as to what I need to do and where to go to get the paper. Did I mention I'm new to this stuff this is my first time, so please any help would be great :D

It costs me $450 for a Single Status, and I let lich vu take care for me back 2008.

marriage record = $40-$60 plus notarized

Secretary of State = $100 or more. Take a day off from work (8 hours). LA convention

Send the application to SF or Washington DC VN consulate = $100

So, good luck.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

It costs me $450 for a Single Status, and I let lich vu take care for me back 2008.

Secretary of State = $100 or more. Take a day off from work (8 hours). LA convention

So, good luck.

WoW so it is expensive, and I thought Dich Vu is trying to rip me off :lol: so how did you get your Single Status? What did you do first? Do you go to the Court? Is it one of those Court that you go to pay for your traffic violation and stuff or which Court? I still don't understand this part. You say you have Dich Vu do it for you right, so I'm guessing you wouldn't know what I say huh. If any one know already done it please tell me if I still can't figure this out. I guess I'll have to have Dich Vu do it for me. Once again thank you all for the help :D

So, good luck.

WoW so it is expensive, and I thought Dich Vu is trying to rip me off :lol: so how did you get your Single Status? What did you do first? Do you go to the Court? Is it one of those Court that you go to pay for your traffic violation and stuff or which Court? I still don't understand this part. You say you have Dich Vu do it for you right, so I'm guessing you wouldn't know what I say huh. If any one know already done it please tell me if I still can't figure this out. I guess I'll have to have Dich Vu do it for me. Once again thank you all for the help :D

Since I let DV take care for me, and I don't have to do anything.

If you want to do on your own.

1. Going to Civil Court, where to get your married or single record for 50 states.

2. Going to Secretary State (for me is LA Convention Center) to get approve. You have to take 1 day off from work.

3. Send to VN consulate in SF or Washington DC.

I never done my, and all these information I know from google, and calling around. Maybe, someone will give you more info.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Timeline

I'm reposting mine from another thread. I doesn't cost nearly as much if you obtain it yourself by calling your secretary of state and vital records. It's a modest fee plus $15 for authentication from the secretary of state. Can't remember at the top of my head how much but it wasn't anywhere in the ballpark of 300+. Also you'll be authenticating other notarized documents with the secretary of state so it's still 15 bucks per notary stamp. At least this is what it costs to do the process in WA state

You get an authenticated single status AKA certificate of no marriage records by contacting your State's Secretary of State. The SecOS will give you a number to contact Vital Records and give you the cost to authenticate the document. Your SecOS will be the one authenticating the document. I've seen a current list of SecOS phone numbers before, you can also email your SecOS and provide your phone number so they can contact you with more information. You're basically trying to find the phone number for Vital Records and how much it costs.

This is an email I got from WA state SoS

You can contact Vital Record in Olympia and order a Single Status, Tell them that you need it Authenticated for Vietnam and they will send directly to my office I will authenticate your document and send it on to you. Please call xxx xxx-xxxx tell them you need a single status for Vietnam, you will be able to pay with a credit card, over the phone, they also take the money for me. When you receive your document it will be complete. This is the official way to do this process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.