one...two...tree

Philippines fire kills 15, many nursing students

20 posts in this topic

Its very sad that 15 people died in a horrific fire, and its extremely sad that some people find this funny. You might not find it funny if it were your wife, or family that died in that same fire.

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

for a tragedy like this, we don't need the horrific pictures to illustrate one's point. please have some empathy for other posters.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is horrible, it nearly brings tears to my eyes. I agree with the comment about corruption, I was going to mention it myself. I am a political conservative, but things like this are areas where I agree governments need to be "big enough". On one hand, in some parts of the US the building codes are ridiculous, influenced by corporations who want to make it impossible for small businesses to compete with them and enforced by egomaniacal zealots who seem to love making life difficult for others. But on the other hand, not having or properly enforcing proper building codes results in tragedies like this.

Whenever I look at planning a trip over there, I think of the myriad examples of how corruption is holding that country down like a 300 lb wrestler sitting on a poodle. Public safety for example. In provinces, the fire departments might sometimes show up to locations that were at some point on fire. If the fire has not gone out by running out of things to burn, they'll head down to the river to get some water, and come back to prevent it from burning down more buildings. Then, if a large building was destroyed, it's burnt wreckage will just stay where it was for years and years, eventually surrounded by small street vendors building little lean-to shops from bamboo. Traffic is a big one as well. From Manila to Davao, and especially all places in between. (I haven't been to Davao yet, just picked the big southern city) Each agency the money passes through on it's way to build a new highway or fix an old one will extract a portion of the funds for itself. By the time the money meets the road, there's barely enough left to hire a handful of workers to build the road almost entirely by hand. A project that would take a week or two to complete in the US will take a year or more in those circumstances. Pollution is another major issue. Air pollution, water pollution, and even noise pollution. Manila Bay is disgusting, for example - don't they ban fishing of any kind in there? I couldn't get over how even out in the province, and a few miles out of the nearby city, it's just noisy all the time.

The Philippines could easily have become like Japan (in terms of economy and modernization, etc) in the same time period that Japan has become what it is, if the government were not so corrupt.

Okay okay okay, I need to get back to work now.

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.