Póg mo

DCF process in Seoul, Republic of Korea

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We began our green card application process by filling the i-130 and a G325-A for each of us (biographic information) with the US embassy in Seoul. You need to first make an appointment via the embassies website. This was very easy to do. Our appointment was on October 18 at 9:00AM. This part was quick and easy, except for the fact that we needed to leave the embassy and get a copy of our marriage certificate, a photo copy of every page of my Irish passport, a copy of the front page of my spouses passport. We also needed to go the nearest bank to get $420 dollars, for some weird reason we couldn't pay by credit card inside the embassy but could pay the next visa fee inside the embassy.

Our i-130 was received packet 3.5 on October 21 by email. We then began the process of obtaining all the necessary documents for visa application.

We faxed part one of the DS230 to the embassy November 16 and applied online for appointment on the same day. We chose the second week of December. The following day we received packet 4 by email indicating that my appointment date would be December 13 at 8AM.

I already had an Irish criminal background check from the 2008, which I had needed for my Korean E2 visa, and picked up a Korean one by visiting my local Korean police station. This was easy to get, you just need to bring your alien registration card and fill an application form at the station, we your name, address and phone number.

For the medical, I phoned Ajou University hospital and made an appointment to arrange my appointment. I had to go on a Thursday afternoon, which required me to cancel teaching class for the entire day.

When I arrived at the hospital for my appointment I was told that should have fasted for 12 hours before the medical. I hadn't and had just eaten at Burger King. Never mind, the nurse said that it was still okay for me to have the medical.

The medical took about 2 hours, it included an eyesight test, a blood pressure test and a blood test. I also needed to have a number of vaccinations. I had to fill out a medical questioner about my medical history. The staff at the hospital insisted, to my annoyance, on stamping my passport. One week later I returned to the hospital to get my medical results. I received a sealed envelope and a sealed CD Rom which I was warned not to open.

Because my spouse hadn't been working in the US for a few years and couldn't rely on her income for the i-864 we had my brother, a US green card holder sponsor my visa. My wife also had to show she was actively seeking to return to the US to prove domicile.

Monday December 13

We arrived at the embassy at 7:55AM and after handing over cell phones and bags x-rayed we went up to the third floor. We took a number and waited to be called. A couple of minutes later our number was called and we went to the window. The lady embassy worker at the window took all our documents and double checked to see that we had everything in order. She then asked us to take a seat and wait to be called. 40 minutes later we were called to the window a second time and I had my fingerprints electronically scanned.

After waiting another 10 minutes, my name was called and I returned to the window and given an invoice and go to the cashier on the 2nd floor to pay the fee and have the invoice stamped. This time I was allowed to pay by credit card. I returned to the window with the stamped invoice and waited to be called for my interview.

Finally after another 5 minutes I was called to a different window to be interviewed by a male embassy staff worker. My wife came to the window with me but she was quickly told to sit down. The guy asked, me after swearing an oath, questions such as how did I meet my wife, have I ever met her family, what were her parents like and when was our wedding. Nothing too difficult. He then told me my visa was approved and I'd receive it within four/five working days.

That was it and we left the embassy.

We now must wait for my passport to be returned by courier.

This whole process only took two months and would've been quicker if I had faxed back the DS230 sooner.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

I am so happy for the two of you! I bet you are feeling ecstatic right now (and rightfully so) what a relief you must be feeling and the stress level has went form +100 to maybe a 9 or 10....? :wacko: It appears that your journey was fairly quick and pain free. :wow: I hope and pray that ours will be rather speedy and without any bumps.... :unsure: and again

Congrats and many years of Marital Bliss for the two of you!

P.S.

Happy Holidays to you and yours! :innocent:

Fatih and Kelly's Visa Journey

2010- 12-10: Sent I-130 and DS-230 Complete Package to US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey via UPS

which included everything BUT the Kitchen SINK!

2010-12-13: Per UPS, Package has been received at American Consulate in Ankara, Turkey

2011-01-20: Received Email from US Embassy in Ankara

INTERVIEW DATE 03/08/2011 @ 8:30 am !!!

2011-03-08: Placed in AP

I will NEVER give up and WILL fight to the END!

Apologies if I state in a comment that my husband and I have been together for years & years. It's just that I can hardly remember a time when he and I were not together.

Weee! That was really quick! =) So happy for you.

Congrats! =D

Filed I-130 : Oct. 20,2010

Notice of Action: Nov. 29,2010

NoA received: Dec.3, 2010

NoA reply sent: Feb 3,2011

Bangkok USCIS receipt: Feb. 7,2011

Notice of Approval : Feb. 23,2011

Our NoA receipt: March 7,2011

Packet 3 received: April 1, 2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks guys, I hope you guys get your green cards soon too.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Me THREE he he :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fatih and Kelly's Visa Journey

2010- 12-10: Sent I-130 and DS-230 Complete Package to US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey via UPS

which included everything BUT the Kitchen SINK!

2010-12-13: Per UPS, Package has been received at American Consulate in Ankara, Turkey

2011-01-20: Received Email from US Embassy in Ankara

INTERVIEW DATE 03/08/2011 @ 8:30 am !!!

2011-03-08: Placed in AP

I will NEVER give up and WILL fight to the END!

Apologies if I state in a comment that my husband and I have been together for years & years. It's just that I can hardly remember a time when he and I were not together.

• 1 year later...

I asked my boss to translate the documents for us as neither my husband or I are Korean. We offered her a fee of 30,000 Won (about 25 bucks) per document but in the end she decided to do it for free. Try asking a friend, or even an acquaintance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.