cloudnothing

Trying to bring my fiance and her 2 children to the US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance and I are about to start the K1 visa process and correct me if im wrong, her children will be coming over on K2 visa.the problem is I cant find much info on the K2 visas so I thought I would ask a few questions on this site in hopes of clearing things up so we can proceed. Here goes,1)If my fiance is approved to come over on the K1 visa will the K2s automatically be approved? 2) How much does a K2 visa cost? Any links to official sites where you get your info would be much appreciated. Hope these questions werent too silly. Thanks

Children's under 21 are automatically aproved if your fiancee is. Now, i am not sure here in USA to do the adjust of status how that goes. But for now you will not need any more fees to pay. If you can not bring the kids now they have 6 months to enter USA after the K1 enter. Good Luck !

04/29/06 - Meet in Dom. Rep.

05/01/06 - Our first date

10/30/06 - Living together

08/03/07 - Back to USA

12/01/07 - Back to DR (one Week)

02/01/08 - Back DR ( one week )

04/29/09 - Back to DR ( 3 days )

02/27/10 - Back to DR ( 16 days )

07/15/10 - 129F sent to USCIS

07/23/10 - NOA1

10/06/10 - Touched

01/13/11 - Service Request Form

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

children are not always automatically approved if the parent is.. there are times when DNA tests or additional evidence are required before the child is approved.. even though the parent is approved... but they will hold off on issuing the visa to the parent until the child issue is resolved...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

children are not always automatically approved if the parent is.. there are times when DNA tests or additional evidence are required before the child is approved.. even though the parent is approved... but they will hold off on issuing the visa to the parent until the child issue is resolved...

i think hes talking about her kids and not his therefore dna wont be needed ... they arnt his kids ot begin with therefore irrelevant.

My fiance and I are about to start the K1 visa process and correct me if im wrong, her children will be coming over on K2 visa.the problem is I cant find much info on the K2 visas so I thought I would ask a few questions on this site in hopes of clearing things up so we can proceed. Here goes,1)If my fiance is approved to come over on the K1 visa will the K2s automatically be approved? 2) How much does a K2 visa cost? Any links to official sites where you get your info would be much appreciated. Hope these questions werent too silly. Thanks

There should be a section for k2 visas, the info is spread out and i had a hard time finding info aswell.

1)from what ive heard yes the k2s will be accepted right away once your fiancé is if she has sole custody court papers stating that she does or even a letter from the father of the kids saying he gives permission for her to bring them with to move there

2)when you go to the interview you will pay on the spot for the visas its 350 each , (1050 in your case for your fiancée and her 2 kids)

no questions are silly, and as for info its pretty much everywhere in the k1 forums, unfortunately you have to look alot and there are differences depending on your fiancé's country

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

DNA has been requested to prove that it was actually the womans child... as well as photos showing the child growing up... DNA is not just about the father when it comes to immigration... even with sole custody court papers, an affidavit from the father is usually required for the child to immigrate

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We did a K-1 and two k-2s. For the peition you need ONLY list the childrens names. They will later apply for visas just as your fiancee does and the fees and procedures are identical, with some minor variations in forms, dependent on the consulate. They will also need to file their own AOS and fees for that are the same ($1010 each) unless they are age 13 or less and file at the same time as your (then) wife. In which case they are $600 each. There is info on K-2s by searching the forums for K-2, but you are correct that you will not find specific K-2 information in the guides. For all practical purposes it is the K-1 x 3.

DNA tests ARE required for K-2s at some very high fraud consulates because sometimes women claim other children to be theirs for immigration fraud reasons. The state of birth certifictes being what they are in some parts of the world, DNA can be required but it is unusual outside of very high fraud consulates. It is probaly not an issue. IF the child is under age 21 and NEVER married, the K-2 will be approved with the K-1 or up to 1 year after (K-2 follow to join) we did one of each.

DNA has been requested to prove that it was actually the womans child... as well as photos showing the child growing up... DNA is not just about the father when it comes to immigration... even with sole custody court papers, an affidavit from the father is usually required for the child to immigrate

You are correct that it has been used for K-2s in high fraud consulates. It is not common. HCMC may be one of those.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

At the petition stage just make sure you list her children on the I-129F.

At the consulate stage she'll need to submit separate visa applications for each child. Depending on the consulate, this might mean DS-230 and DS-156 or DS-160 forms. She also needs to list her children on her DS-156K form. The children will need separate medical exams, and pay separate visa application fees.

She'll have to provide proof that the children are hers. What this entails varies widely from one consulate to another. At some consulates it's sufficient just to have a child's birth certificate with her name as the mother. Some consulates want photos of the mother and child together at different stages of the child's life, school records, baptismal records, whatever. Some consulates may require DNA testing if the other evidence isn't sufficient to convince them. If the child is over 16 years old then police certificates will also be required for the child.

Most consulates also require evidence that she is legally permitted to emigrate with the children, if the children are under 18. Again, what this entails depends on the consulate. At some consulates it's sufficient to have a court order for sole custody, or a birth certificate with no father listed. Many consulates require a notarized "quit claim" from the non-custodial parent giving their permission for the child to emigrate. My step-daughter was three weeks from her 18th birthday at the interview, and they still required a quit claim from her father.

The definitive reference for what is required will come from the consulate in the interview instructions. We might be able to give you a link if you tell us what country your fiancee is from.

K2's are eligible for a visa until they're 21 years old, but they need to arrive in the US and adjust status (green card approved) before their 21st birthday.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.