JVF

When should we apply for Social Security?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancee has been in US for almost a week now. When can she apply for Social Security?

thanks.

Nov 25 2009 - While on vacation in Ukraine met my fiancee

Feb 20 2010 - Spent 8 amazing days in Caribbeans with my fiancee

April 16 2010 - Traveled to Ukraine

April 22 2010 - Returned to US

April 27 2010 - K1 filed

April 29 2010 - NOA 1

May 4 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - NOA 2!!!

July 06 2010 - NOA 2 Hard copy received

July 11 2010 - NVC still still didn't receive approved petition from USCIS. Sent inquiry via email to NVC regarding my case

July 13 2010 - USCIS claims that they sent my petition on July 6th to NVC. Sent inquiry to USCIS.

July 21 2010 - USCIS sent email saying approved petition was lost in transit, asking to submit duplicate copy in order to reconstruct my case

July 29 2010 - Duplicate copy sent to Vermont Service Center.

August 10 2010 - USCIS sent email. Original petition found

August 10 2010 - second NOA 2 issued.

August 12 2010 - NVC received petition

August 13 2010 - NVC forwarded the case to Kiev embassy !!!

September 6 2010 - Medical Exam

September 27 2010 - INTERVIEW!!!

September 27 2010 - Visa Approved!!!

October 5 2010 - Arrived to US!!!

4dc0fd55f0.gif 828551138d.gif

Filed: IR-5 Country: Germany
Timeline

The officer at the POE in Houston told my fiance he could go the next day if he wanted to get a social security card. We went to the Social Security office about a week after his entry and had no problems. His card does say "Valid for work only with DHS autorization" for now. Once he has his employment authorization, we'll have to go back to get a new SS card that doesn't have this printed on it. Once we got married, I went and got mine changed.

Edited by Mimstastic

Lena applied for her SSN about 10 days or so after she got here, no problems at all. :star:

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Timeline

Thank you guys. What should we bring with us to social security office? I heard some people complaining that they have been told at SS office K-1'ers are not eligible for Social Security until AOS.

April 27 2010 - K1 filed

April 29 2010 - NOA 1

May 4 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - NOA 2!!!

July 11 2010 - NVC still still didn't receive approved petition from USCIS. Sent inquiry via email to NVC regarding my case

July 13 2010 - USCIS claims that they sent my petition on July 6th to NVC. Sent inquiry to USCIS.

July 21 2010 - USCIS sent email saying approved petition was lost in transit, asking to submit duplicate copy in order to reconstruct my case

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My fiancee has been in US for almost a week now. When can she apply for Social Security?

thanks.

Wait one or two more weeks and then go. We waited until week #3 and got it a week later, in the mail.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Alla arrived on a Wednesday afternoon. She applied for her SS card Thursday morning. She went back to the SS office Friday morning and got her SS number. The card arrived in the mailbox on Tuesday, 6 days after she arrived. You're late. What are you waiting for? :P

Apply for the SS card in her MAIDEN name exactly as in the passport/visa. Change it AFTER she has her green card if you want to. DO NOT LEAVE the SS office until they accept her application and give you a receipt. If they give you ANY trouble or indicate you have to wait for ANYthing...ask for a supervisor.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thank you guys. What should we bring with us to social security office? I heard some people complaining that they have been told at SS office K-1'ers are not eligible for Social Security until AOS.

social Security is famous for hiring stupid people and then not training them. Not training them that K-1s ARE eligible is the fault of their supervisors, a clerk saying a K-1 is not eligible when they do not know ...that is stupid. Combined, the two "qualities" can cause you problems. Bring her Passport with VISA. That is your TWO forms of ID. They are TWO DIFFERENT government IDs, not one. That is all you need (and the I-94 card in her passport)

Again, any problems, ask for a supervisor. There is a form here on VJ that gives the SS information about K-1s and it is probably good to print that and take it with you. be prepared to train government employees you deal with.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Step-by-Step Guide to getting a Social Security Number (SSN):

"...Print the following webpage out (K-1 Visa Holder Only); pay attention to section C:

>> RM 00203.500

...To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).
  2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)
  3. your valid I-94
  4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)
  5. You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not you could be turned away incorrectly."

N-400: filled online on May 8th, 2021

Biometric Reuse Notice: May 8th, 2021
Interview: May 10th, 2022 - Interview De-Scheduled

Interview rescheduled on May 11th, 2022

New Interview: Jun 27th, 2022 - Approved 🥳

Oath Ceremony: July 14th, 2022

Timeline

social Security is famous for hiring stupid people and then not training them. Not training them that K-1s ARE eligible is the fault of their supervisors, a clerk saying a K-1 is not eligible when they do not know ...that is stupid. Combined, the two "qualities" can cause you problems. Bring her Passport with VISA. That is your TWO forms of ID. They are TWO DIFFERENT government IDs, not one. That is all you need (and the I-94 card in her passport)

Again, any problems, ask for a supervisor. There is a form here on VJ that gives the SS information about K-1s and it is probably good to print that and take it with you. be prepared to train government employees you deal with.

I read it somewhere to wait ~2 weeks before applying for Social Security card. We are planning to visit Social Security office sometime next week.

So far Sveta is impressed with the service in this country. Hopefully Social Security office doesn't change that feeling :)

Step-by-Step Guide to getting a Social Security Number (SSN):

"...Print the following webpage out (K-1 Visa Holder Only); pay attention to section C:

>> RM 00203.500

...To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).
  2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)
  3. your valid I-94
  4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)
  5. You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not you could be turned away incorrectly."

Very helpful information. Thanks a lot.

April 27 2010 - K1 filed

April 29 2010 - NOA 1

May 4 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - NOA 2!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I read it somewhere to wait ~2 weeks before applying for Social Security card. We are planning to visit Social Security office sometime next week.

So far Sveta is impressed with the service in this country. Hopefully Social Security office doesn't change that feeling :)

We went late in the day and didn't have to wait long. The guy we got knew his stuff and we had all and didn't have to train anyone. It was very painless. We also applied in her maiden name and also before our marriage.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

They cannot process an application until her legal entry into the US is recorded in the SAVE system. For some reason the very conservative VJ guides say to wait two weeks. The SAVE system is updated each night at 12:01 am recording all the legal entries for that day. Maybe the VJ guides are outdated and the system has been improved. ??? Unless there is some major computer glitch, he legal entry is recorded by the next morning when the SS opens.

SS rules allow the K-1 to apply for a SSN from day 1 to day 76 of their authorized stay. By the SS rules she could get off the plane and drive right to the SS office and get her number, but in practice you have to wait until the next day. There is no real need to wait two weeks, there is no real harm in waiting two weeks.

Alla was scheduled to start classes a few days after her arrival and she needed a SSN to get enrolled and to receive a 50% private education grant processed we had already secured, so she was kind of in a hurry to get the number. She is generally in ind of a hurry anyway. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Went to social security office. All went well. She should receive it within 2 weeks.

April 27 2010 - K1 filed

April 29 2010 - NOA 1

May 4 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - NOA 2!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.