midge and isi

Ghana Embassy- Petitioner at Interview

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

What are people's experiences with the petitioner going to the interview at Accra? On the Consulate information it says no- has anyone succeeded in going in? Or do you wait outside?

Do they bring your passport in with them to show you are there if you cant go in?? If you have all different kinds of evidence that can be provided would it make that much of a difference? (I have skype bills, my cell phone bill (300pages), facebook messages (50pages), emails, snail mail, photos from my first trip (5 months), and my second trip with my parents). I know its really just opinion on the last one....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

I can't speak with experience about the Consular in Ghana. If you haven't noticed, every Embassy likes to do things there own way. Unless someone can come behind me and correct me, I would stick to whatever information is on the website.

In terms of proof of your relationship, it has always been the advice, here on the boards, that it's better to have way too much evidence than not enough. The worst that could happen is that you show up for the interview with 10 pounds of evidence and they tell you it's not necessary. It tends to happen a lot.

b935d5d962.png

K-1 TIMELINE

Feb 22, 2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

Mar 03, 2010 - Arrived at CSC

Mar 08, 2010 - NOA-1

Mar 09, 2010 - Touched

May 25, 2010 - NOA2 (Approved in 83 days from NOA1 date)

Jun 17, 2010 - Packet 4

Jun 30, 2010 - Medicals & Vaccinations

Jul 15, 2010 - Interview Date (221g "Pending Approval-Police Certificate)

Sep 15, 2010 - Visa adjudicated, printed, & Mailed via DHL

Sep 17, 2010 - Visa pick-up date

?? - POE USA

?? - Apply for SSN

?? - Marriage

?? - Start AOS process

Timeline

Thats what I am doing- we have so much that I am sure they wont even look at most of it.

I prob wont go since the airfare is so outragous- our proof is enough! I believe.

Good luck on your interview- I see its Thursday! I wish mine was that soon. Dec 2nd is so far off- but at least I have a date...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Where you say the consulate info says "no", is this the info on VJ? I wonder when that info was put on there and by who.

I was in Ghana during the time my fiancee was to pick up packet 3 and both of us were allowed in. I even went with her to the window and spoke with the people there. They do have tight security; however, we showed security the letter confirming she was to come, and everything was fine. Now, I am not sure if they will let the petitioner in for the interview, but I plan to be there and based on my experience I don't see why they'd have any problem.

Interestingly enough, I spoke to a Ghana VJ member recently and was informed that a petitioner went for the K1 interview and the Ghana fiance/e was denied the visa based on the petitioner showing up. Apparently the interviewer thought the relationship was fake simply because the US citizen showed up. Crazy, ain't it?

It would be nice to hear from someone in Ghana that has attended or tried to attend. With all the evidence I have, I can't see them thinking it's a fraud.

Edited by Mr. K

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
The worst that could happen is that you show up for the interview with 10 pounds of evidence and they tell you it's not necessary.
No; the worst that can happen is that the beneficiary shows up with 10 pounds of evidence and the consulate refuses to accept it, kicks the beneficiary out of the interview after 3 or 4 minutes, then claims "not enough evidence was submitted" and orders the USC to attend a Stokes interrogation because he wasn't there for the FIRST interview, si man. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Mr. K- it is what is posted here- I dont see anything on the embassy website! So its hard to know. Ghana is so iffy about everything-

Your still going even with what happend with the person you spoke to?

I am in the same boat. I just feel our evidence is enough. With prices so high to get over it seems a waste, if it causes more issues then its worth? I am leaving tomorrow for a trip with my parents- which is hopefully extra proof of family support.... and on going relationship.

TBone- not all embassy allow us in. And I believe ghana is one of them- so basically we could sit outside? and wait... what does that do? except for moral support?

Its such a hard choice to make!!!! I will see how Israel feels when I hand over the 10lbs on friday!

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

What are people's experiences with the petitioner going to the interview at Accra? On the Consulate information it says no- has anyone succeeded in going in? Or do you wait outside?

Do they bring your passport in with them to show you are there if you cant go in?? If you have all different kinds of evidence that can be provided would it make that much of a difference? (I have skype bills, my cell phone bill (300pages), facebook messages (50pages), emails, snail mail, photos from my first trip (5 months), and my second trip with my parents). I know its really just opinion on the last one....

We went to the Consulate office on Monday.The guy at the door ask who is the interview for? And I said it's for my finance. I didn't get to go in, I had to go across the street and sit under the tree for like 2 and a half hours waiting until he was finished..However I was told if I had told the guy at the door that the interview was for the both of us, they would have let me in..

I gave my passport to my finance to take with him to prove I was there.The consulate told him if he needs me he will call for me..And as far as skipping out on phone bills,cards, emails and etc that is very important. My guy didn't take that kind of stuff with him the first time, and they sent him back.Please don't play with these people, because they don't play fare..Give them everything them ask for and more if you have it..But the time my finance went for his third interview,the guy said man you have too much paperwork..It's better to have too much than not to have enough..

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Where you say the consulate info says "no", is this the info on VJ? I wonder when that info was put on there and by who.

I was in Ghana during the time my fiancee was to pick up packet 3 and both of us were allowed in. I even went with her to the window and spoke with the people there. They do have tight security; however, we showed security the letter confirming she was to come, and everything was fine. Now, I am not sure if they will let the petitioner in for the interview, but I plan to be there and based on my experience I don't see why they'd have any problem.

Interestingly enough, I spoke to a Ghana VJ member recently and was informed that a petitioner went for the K1 interview and the Ghana fiance/e was denied the visa based on the petitioner showing up. Apparently the interviewer thought the relationship was fake simply because the US citizen showed up. Crazy, ain't it?

It would be nice to hear from someone in Ghana that has attended or tried to attend. With all the evidence I have, I can't see them thinking it's a fraud.

I wasn't with my fiancé when he picked up his packet, however I was with him when he went for the interview on Monday.They did not allow me in..But I was told,I should have informed the person at the door the interview was for the both of us..Therefore I got to walk across the street and sit on the hard rocks for 2 1/2 hrs..Wow what fun I had!!!

Timeline

The thing is, I feel that by saying the interview is for both would be lying. Because the interview letter says my fiance's name and not me. No where does it say for the petitioner to show for the interview.

Who did you hear from if you said both that they would have let you in?

Also would you mind telling us what made you have so many interviews so maybe we can avoid the reign of GHana?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

It seems like it is hit or miss as far as the US citizen getting in the embassy.

When I went with my fiancee to pick up the packet, I showed security the letter from NVC addressed to me that said my fiancee would soon be receiving the packet from the embassy. The letter didn't state the packet was ready to be picked up at the embassy, just that my fiancee would soon receive it. But I spoke with the embassy the day before via phone and was told that we could come pick up the packet. So when I informed the people at the embassy that me and my fiancee had to come pick up a packet, it was no lie because I was told so by telephone. What I am trying to say is that even though there was no proof in writing that we should have been there to pick up the packet, I showed them all types of official paperwork with both our names which indicated we were there for a legitimate reason.

Now, of course I can't say this will automatically work for an interview, but I plan on doing the same thing. Even though the appt letter states only the Ghanaian citizen's name, I plan on informing security both of us are there for the interview, which is the truth -- both of us will be there for the interview ;) . We'll show them the appt letter as well as other paperwork that connects me to the situation. Plus, I plan on calling the embassy beforehand to verify that it is ok.

I'm hoping this suffice. If not, I'll just give my fiancee my passport to show the interviewer I made an attempt to be present. At the very least, that will make a good impression and strengthen the proof of a legitimate relationship. I don't know all the details about the denial based mainly or only on the US citizen showing up. I would have to think the evidence wasn't that strong though. Whatever the case, the interviewer probably would have denied Kwame Nkrumah a visa that day. It seems like a case of someone overreacting or just plain out not wanting the person to get the visa.

It is something to mull over indeed. The situation has me thinking. Right now my plans are to attend as long as I am able to get there.

Edited by Mr. K

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I'm hoping this suffice. If not, I'll just give my fiancee my passport to show the interviewer I made an attempt to be present. At the very least, that will make a good impression and strengthen the proof of a legitimate relationship.
This sensible advice can never hurt and can certainly help, in Ghana and elsewhere.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.