Catbones

How Long ? Geez!

88 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing good. I had a questions, how long does it usually take for Montreal Embassy to reply or provide an answer to a K1 Visa case? in my case so far it has been 10 weeks since they received (UPS confirmed) the package with the extra documentation they requested. Now emailing them 4 times within 10 weeks all I got was a one time reply with "mail is backed up". My passport is gone, the documents they got, what else do they needs its simple, the letter explains to them everything they needed to know and ask for at the interview, plus signed by a lawyer too so its not mambo jumbo stuff written by me. (as they would probably not accept such letters written by me)

Anyone in the same situation??

Also does anyone know any other means of contacting the Montreal Embassy rather then by email or contacting USCIS??? will help. I can't stand to wait no more, I have no access to US to see my fiancee and she's going to deliver my twin girls in 4 weeks, if I miss that someone will need to answer for this stupid delay.

Thank you in advance. Anything will help really.

Cheers

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, wow talk about unecessary bs... But Montreal is backlogged from all angles...

So your US fiance needs to contact her congressman asap. They will have someone in his office that handles immigration issues such as yours. She might be asked to fill in a form and fax/mail it back in order for them to start bugging Montreal. At this point, this is your best option.

They have your passport, and it's been a long time. Your fiancé's congressman is being paid with her taxes, she needs to get his office involved.

E-mailing Montreal is pretty much pointless at this point from what I gather. I suggest she contacts me this week and start the process.

Best of luck, and congratulations on the babies!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

Hi Vero and Chris,

Yeah, my fiancee US contacted her congress after 6 weeks of waiting and all the Montreal Embassy said was it was not polite nor constitutional for them to contact them in regards to our case if we have a lawyer who is representing us. Pretty stupid answer, we can have a lawyer but congress should have more power and ability.

Thanks for the idea thought. We might contact congress again thought.

Cheers!

Hey, wow talk about unecessary bs... But Montreal is backlogged from all angles...

So your US fiance needs to contact her congressman asap. They will have someone in his office that handles immigration issues such as yours. She might be asked to fill in a form and fax/mail it back in order for them to start bugging Montreal. At this point, this is your best option.

They have your passport, and it's been a long time. Your fiancé's congressman is being paid with her taxes, she needs to get his office involved.

E-mailing Montreal is pretty much pointless at this point from what I gather. I suggest she contacts me this week and start the process.

Best of luck, and congratulations on the babies!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, maybe they should know that it's not quite constitutional for them to hold your passport for 10 weeks...

Well, good luck, and yeah, I would definitely call the congressman again...

Cheers!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Squeaky wheel gets the grease!! As well pass along to ur congress person that others have contacted mtl and got back a better response. It seems to take 2-3 months for Mtl to (hopefully) approve the visa after they request more evidence.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh good grief that sucks!! i truly hope you can get some sort of answer or soemethign so you can be there for your wife. I would not want to miss the birth of twins either!! Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you!

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, my fiancee US contacted her congress after 6 weeks of waiting and all the Montreal Embassy said was it was not polite nor constitutional for them to contact them in regards to our case if we have a lawyer who is representing us. Pretty stupid answer, we can have a lawyer but congress should have more power and ability.

It would be interesting to see others weigh in here on the lawyer representation aspect. From my understanding, there is a document the petitioner signs which basically gives power-of-attorney tongue_ss.gif to the lawyer to act on their behalf. That is why all communication goes directly to the lawyer and bypasses the petitioner.

Hope this gets resolved soon, Catbones. rose.gif

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It would be interesting to see others weigh in here on the lawyer representation aspect. From my understanding, there is a document the petitioner signs which basically gives power-of-attorney tongue_ss.gif to the lawyer to act on their behalf. That is why all communication goes directly to the lawyer and bypasses the petitioner.

Hope this gets resolved soon, Catbones. rose.gif

Correct, it's the g-28 if i recall. in fact we got almost zero mail from uscis and had to keep harassing our lawyer to send us stuff. finally david got in touch with uscis, and they started sending him "complimentary" notices saying the same thing almost, and stating that the originals were sent to lawyer. even our noa2 was a complimentary one. in the end we made the laeyer give us the complete file includiing all originals and copies of everything and fired him for his screwups.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

My only suggestion would be - if getting there is now more important than getting the visa, to get your passport back. I assume you left it with them on interview day?

I would send them an email and in the subject line put - URGENT - Request return of Passport - see if that will get a response. Explain why you need to travel to visit.

Keep your email very short and to the point, no more than 2 lines.

Good luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

10 weeks waiting!!! That is outrageous and it really makes me worry. I have been waiting almost 7 weeks now since sending in my police certificate and passport. We are hoping to get married on July 2nd. I guess that's not going to happen. I cannot believe how slow the montreal consulate is. We first sent our I 129 f in August last year and since the end of september our case has been at montreal. with the 6 months it took to get an interview and now the almost 2 months of admin review. we have been frustrated with montreal for about 8 months now. I don't want to have to move my wedding date back again!. What is going on in Montreal!!!

2007-11-10 Met on an airplane on the way to Japan

2008-03-28 First actual date!

2009-03-31 Returned from Japan

K1 Timeline

2009-08-22 Filed K1

2009-09-01 NOA1

2009-09-29 NOA2

2009-10-23 Montreal Received

2009-11-08 Packet 3 Sent

2010-02-02 Packet 4 Received

2010-03-19 Interview

Interview Result :Admin Review-missing papers

2010-06-24 Visa in Hand.. FINALLY!!!

2010-06-25 US Entry

2010-07-02 MARRIED!

2010-07-13 Applied for SSN

2010-08-03 SSN received

AOS Timeline

2010-08-16 I485 sent to chicago lockbox

2010-08-24 NOA1 received

2010-09-17 Case transferred to CSC

2010-10-23 Bio appt letter received for nov 9th

2010-11-03 Biometrics appt. EAD card issued

Timeline

Ugghhh Montreal... I feel like I am sitting at the edge of a storm I have to pass through, seeing all the havoc and yet entering willingly. After reading all this though I guess I won't be as surprised when I get to that step and start having my own run around.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

Any updates? are you still waiting?. I keep calling the DOS and still nothing on my visa. 7 weeks today. Ugh...

i'm wondering if anyone else who has been waiting but recently gotten their visa can tell us at what week they actually got their visa so we can have some kind of reference.

2007-11-10 Met on an airplane on the way to Japan

2008-03-28 First actual date!

2009-03-31 Returned from Japan

K1 Timeline

2009-08-22 Filed K1

2009-09-01 NOA1

2009-09-29 NOA2

2009-10-23 Montreal Received

2009-11-08 Packet 3 Sent

2010-02-02 Packet 4 Received

2010-03-19 Interview

Interview Result :Admin Review-missing papers

2010-06-24 Visa in Hand.. FINALLY!!!

2010-06-25 US Entry

2010-07-02 MARRIED!

2010-07-13 Applied for SSN

2010-08-03 SSN received

AOS Timeline

2010-08-16 I485 sent to chicago lockbox

2010-08-24 NOA1 received

2010-09-17 Case transferred to CSC

2010-10-23 Bio appt letter received for nov 9th

2010-11-03 Biometrics appt. EAD card issued

Timeline

Any updates? are you still waiting?. I keep calling the DOS and still nothing on my visa. 7 weeks today. Ugh...

i'm wondering if anyone else who has been waiting but recently gotten their visa can tell us at what week they actually got their visa so we can have some kind of reference.

Hi everyone,

We sent in additional documents for the second time for proof of domicile 10 wks ago today for my husband's IR-1 Visa and we even had our Senator involved about 2 months ago and still nothing. The senator's office didn't directly contact Montreal till May 10th, and when I called today to ask if they heard anything they said nothing. They said they won't inquire again until they give MTL 30 business days to reply back! Each time I email Montreal they send it to dept of state and they just send me a generic letter stating that they received our documents, they started reviewing them April 20th, and it is still under processing. I'm getting REALLY, REALLY tired of all this but can't do anything but wait. My husband needs to travel for work and has put everyone on hold since February when he sent in his passport with the first proof of domicile documents.

IF there is ANYONE that recently received their visa, be it K-1 or IR-1 after sending in additional documents PLEASE let us know so we can get some hope that all our stuff isn't just piling up in MTL.

Timeline

I'm a new Visajourney member after 'lurking' for a few months. I got my NOA2 from Vermont on May 7th, and still have not received package 3 from Montreal. Is this normal? It will be five weeks on Friday. I've been reading the horrors of Montreal and how long their processing takes. What is a 'normal' processing time for them? How long after I send package 3 checklist before I hear back about an interview date? I have to send thanks to all the VJ members for their information - it makes this process a little easier knowing what to expect!

Timeline

I'm a new Visajourney member after 'lurking' for a few months. I got my NOA2 from Vermont on May 7th, and still have not received package 3 from Montreal. Is this normal? It will be five weeks on Friday. I've been reading the horrors of Montreal and how long their processing takes. What is a 'normal' processing time for them? How long after I send package 3 checklist before I hear back about an interview date? I have to send thanks to all the VJ members for their information - it makes this process a little easier knowing what to expect!

Have you called NVC to check if it has proceeded through there? The I-129F petition goes from the service centre to NVC then to the consulate.

NVC is: 603-334-0700

08/31/2010 POE09/25/2010 Civil WeddingAOS Timeline10/11/2010 AOS Package Sent10/20/2010 NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP11/12/2010 Biometrics Appointment1/4/2011 Received EAD and AP documents!1/11/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED!!1/15/2011 - Received Approval notice for I-485, Green card on its way!!1/21/2011 - Received Green Card!!Removal of Conditions11/1/2012-Sent Application to California Service Center ..... N-40007/29/2016 - Received date at Phoenix lockbox 8/01/2016 - N-400 NOA<p>xx/xx/xxxx - BiometricsOnto the next step!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.