Kimchimex

how much actual time together?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, I am helping my friends do their papers. She is in Cozumel Mexico. He is in Minnesota. They have known each other for many years because his sister is married to someone from Cozumel & lived nearby.

Here is the situation, they began emailing & text msg for about a year now, he then went down & spent 9 days with her traveling & hanging with family (she has 2 boys age 9 & 13, but she never married, the boys dad will sign for them to go to USA)They are crazy about each other (I know her very well, for 15 years since I lived on Cozumel, she is sincere, NOT looking to just get to the USA)

He is planning to go again in Sept. for 15 days, bring a ring, propose (she knows he will propose & is really excited)

At this time I suggested that they get papers together before he goes with the ring, then he can file immediately after returning to USA.

Their relationship has developed on email & text, (we have that proof)

Here is my concern/question?; is seeing eachother in person only 2 times enough? His thoughts are that the 3 months in USA will cement the relationship, & he only has so much time off work, plus feels better saving the money he makes for the kids & travel together not on tickets back & forth to mexico over many more years (He saw his sister struggle with immigration issues after she married her husband in Mexico)

They want to marry next spring or summer if possible since they want to start a family. (she is 28)

What other types of things can prove relationship, we have photos, cards from her & pictures drawn by kids etc...

Will personal letters from family & friends who have watched the relationship develop help the initial petition? Basically I am just worried that meeting only twice is not going to prove the real relationship.

INPUT PLEASE! thanks everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The most important question is does he feel two visits is enough? My now husband and I had an eight month relationship via the internet and met once for about one week. He received his visa without any questions regarding it being a legitimate relationship. Most important is the evidence he can document of an ongoing relationship whether it is via internet, letters, or in person and her sincerity and knowledge of him during the interview.

Perhaps you can gain some more specific answers from persons who have dealt with the Mexican embassy on how much proof is required.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

The most important question is does he feel two visits is enough? My now husband and I had an eight month relationship via the internet and met once for about one week. He received his visa without any questions regarding it being a legitimate relationship. Most important is the evidence he can document of an ongoing relationship whether it is via internet, letters, or in person and her sincerity and knowledge of him during the interview.

Perhaps you can gain some more specific answers from persons who have dealt with the Mexican embassy on how much proof is required.

Thanks, it is good to know that email & so called cyber relationships are respected. You learn a lot about someone while corresponding! He is fluent in Spanish she has a bit of English. She & the kids are now in English classes to help prepare them for schools in the USA. They will have been involved seriously for 2 years at point of filing for K1, he will have seen her 2 times in Mexico. I am acting like their immigration lawyer LOL since I am good at paperwork, he is brother of my best girlfriend, she is like a daughter to me since I lived in Mexico. I want to do everything right so they don't suffer any rejected K1 etc... plus I believe after going thru all this it would be very sad for the kids to get rejected since they are invested in the relationship as well.

I appreciate your reply!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi, I am helping my friends do their papers. She is in Cozumel Mexico. He is in Minnesota. They have known each other for many years because his sister is married to someone from Cozumel & lived nearby.

Here is the situation, they began emailing & text msg for about a year now, he then went down & spent 9 days with her traveling & hanging with family (she has 2 boys age 9 & 13, but she never married, the boys dad will sign for them to go to USA)They are crazy about each other (I know her very well, for 15 years since I lived on Cozumel, she is sincere, NOT looking to just get to the USA)

He is planning to go again in Sept. for 15 days, bring a ring, propose (she knows he will propose & is really excited)

At this time I suggested that they get papers together before he goes with the ring, then he can file immediately after returning to USA.

Their relationship has developed on email & text, (we have that proof)

Here is my concern/question?; is seeing eachother in person only 2 times enough? His thoughts are that the 3 months in USA will cement the relationship, & he only has so much time off work, plus feels better saving the money he makes for the kids & travel together not on tickets back & forth to mexico over many more years (He saw his sister struggle with immigration issues after she married her husband in Mexico)

They want to marry next spring or summer if possible since they want to start a family. (she is 28)

What other types of things can prove relationship, we have photos, cards from her & pictures drawn by kids etc...

Will personal letters from family & friends who have watched the relationship develop help the initial petition? Basically I am just worried that meeting only twice is not going to prove the real relationship.

INPUT PLEASE! thanks everyone!

In most consulates it is enough. It is definitely enough for the petition to be approved. More is better, but if necessary just keep real good evidence of their relationship.

Remember it is not so important that they prove they will live happily ever after. NO ONE cares about that, sorry to say. If they divorce 2 months after they marry and she goes back to Mexico, no one will shed a tear or give a rat's @ss, for that matter.

what they MUST prove is that the relationship is not for the purpose of avoiding other immigration procedures. That she isn't just "marrying him for a green card". Prove that and you are good to go.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.