3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello there! My fiance and I were thinking of getting married and he's in the US on a P1 visa. I read online that you can adjust status to permanent residency (greencard) if you're married. Is this true?

Also, would we need to file the I-130 or just the adjustment of status forms?

How much does the AOS cost?

Thanks so much!

12-28-2008 - He came to America with his band on a P1.

01-10-2009 - Met each other and started dating (informally)

02-21-2009 - Formally started our relationship.

03-15-2009 - He left for to tour.

04-03-2009 - Engaged!

11-26-2009 - Flew to Australia for 3 months.

03-30-2010 - He flew to the US to for 1 month.

06-11-2010 - 129-F submitted to CSC.

06-18-2010 - He returned to US to tour with his band.

06-18-2010 - NOA1 Received.

9-9-2010 He returned to Australia.

11-4-2010 - NOA2 Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello there! My fiance and I were thinking of getting married and he's in the US on a P1 visa. I read online that you can adjust status to permanent residency (greencard) if you're married. Is this true?

Also, would we need to file the I-130 or just the adjustment of status forms?

How much does the AOS cost?

Thanks so much!

So I had to do a quick google to confirm P1's are eligible to AOS and they ARE! So, here's the guide you need: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

You will file an I-130 and I-485 together. The fee is $1010 for the AOS and $355 for the I-130.

He will also have to have a medical check done and have a I-693 completed by a CS.

It is important to note that now that you have "decided" to go this path, your fiance cannot leave the US and then re-enter using the P1 as he then has "immigration intent" which is illegal. While you won't need to prove that he didn't have intent, I personally feel that knowing you were 100% honest is a good thing. It's not illegal to get married in the US, it's not illegal to AOS, but it is illegal to enter on a non-immigrant visa with the ultimate purpose of AOSing (except for K1 which is a fiancee visa).

So, if you have made your decision to get married now you have a decision to make:

1. Plan your big wedding and THEN AOS

2. Pop down to the court house for a legal wedding (can still be in a pretty dress), AOS and THEN have a big wedding for family and friends.

Personally I would go the No. 2 route so that you have something else to focus on while the AOS stuff is processing. It means that you can file right away and you don't have to plan a big family wedding and stress about how soon it should be for Visa reasons, and it will give his family/friends time to save to attend the wedding and apply for visas if need be (though Australia has the VWP (visa waiver program) which should help a lot of people).

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! and Welcome to VJ :)

p.s. Photograph EVERYTHING. Photo's are good relationship proof.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

So I had to do a quick google to confirm P1's are eligible to AOS and they ARE! So, here's the guide you need: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

You will file an I-130 and I-485 together. The fee is $1010 for the AOS and $355 for the I-130.

He will also have to have a medical check done and have a I-693 completed by a CS.

It is important to note that now that you have "decided" to go this path, your fiance cannot leave the US and then re-enter using the P1 as he then has "immigration intent" which is illegal. While you won't need to prove that he didn't have intent, I personally feel that knowing you were 100% honest is a good thing. It's not illegal to get married in the US, it's not illegal to AOS, but it is illegal to enter on a non-immigrant visa with the ultimate purpose of AOSing (except for K1 which is a fiancee visa).

So, if you have made your decision to get married now you have a decision to make:

1. Plan your big wedding and THEN AOS

2. Pop down to the court house for a legal wedding (can still be in a pretty dress), AOS and THEN have a big wedding for family and friends.

Personally I would go the No. 2 route so that you have something else to focus on while the AOS stuff is processing. It means that you can file right away and you don't have to plan a big family wedding and stress about how soon it should be for Visa reasons, and it will give his family/friends time to save to attend the wedding and apply for visas if need be (though Australia has the VWP (visa waiver program) which should help a lot of people).

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! and Welcome to VJ :)

p.s. Photograph EVERYTHING. Photo's are good relationship proof.

While his AOS is pending, is he allowed to work right away?

12-28-2008 - He came to America with his band on a P1.

01-10-2009 - Met each other and started dating (informally)

02-21-2009 - Formally started our relationship.

03-15-2009 - He left for to tour.

04-03-2009 - Engaged!

11-26-2009 - Flew to Australia for 3 months.

03-30-2010 - He flew to the US to for 1 month.

06-11-2010 - 129-F submitted to CSC.

06-18-2010 - He returned to US to tour with his band.

06-18-2010 - NOA1 Received.

9-9-2010 He returned to Australia.

11-4-2010 - NOA2 Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.