minnhelp

Filing I-751 soon but lost green card

7 posts in this topic

My deadline is creeping up, March 28th to be precise. I have turned my house upside down searching for my green card which I seem to have misplaced or lost. I know I should've had most of the work done closer to my 90 days prior to deadline than cutting so close to it. But I kept searching around the house and places where I could've lost my green card. And unfortunately, I do not have a copy of it either.

At this point, while searching through the forum I ran across this thread which seemed pretty relevant to me (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220622).

Basically, I followed the advice from others laid out to this person, which was to not file for I-90 to replace green card and setup an appt through infopass instead of calling USCIS cust service. My appt was last week and the guy told me not to file for I-90, of course, and suggested that I should file a police report and instead send a copy of police report for evidence and write a letter explainning what had occured.

He also said that, there is a good chance you may get called in for interview due to this reason but I should still be able to proceed and file I-751 regardless and submit rest of the evidence and supporting document.

My question is if I've done what I should've and have not missed anything here that might come back to haunt me?

Also here is a list of my support evidence that I'm filing, please advice if this looks sufficient as I'm about to put it all together and put it in the mail over the weekend or early next week?

1. Copy of Joint Checking Acct statements - (feb10, nov09, Aug09)
  2. Copy of Federal and State tax filed - JOINT (09, 08, & 07)
  3. Copy of Mortgage Statement - JOINT (last 3 months)
  4. Copy of Home Insurance Document – JOINT
  5. Copy of Car Insurance cards – JOINT
  6. Copy of Health Insurance Cards - UNDER SAME POLICY
  7. Copy of her 401k beneficiary statement
  8. Copy of her Life insurance beneficiary statement
  9. Copy of Airline Itinerary of trips from last 2 years
  10. Copy of water/sewerage/Utility Bill – jOINT
  11. Copy of Garbage Bill - ME ONLY same address
  12. Copy of Gas Bill - HER ONLY same address
  13. Copy of Electricity Bill - HER ONLY same address
  14. Copy of 3 Credit Cards - Front & Back - JOINT
  15. Copy of both Drivers License - Front & Back
  16. Copy of Affidavit from 3 friends
  17. Pictures from trips and family gatherings
  18. Copy of Police Report and a brief letter explaining what had happened

Is there anything I've missed here? Do I need to send in an original copy of any of the documents or does any of these evidence need to be notarized?

Any advice will be much appreciated as it is getting really stressful with each passing day. Pleas advice!!!

If you followed the checklist below, and sent what you have off of it, you should be good. Interesting advice about not filing an I 90 and sending in a police report instead. Let us know what happens.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Is there anything I've missed here? Do I need to send in an original copy of any of the documents or does any of these evidence need to be notarized?

Any advice will be much appreciated as it is getting really stressful with each passing day. Pleas advice!!!

Your documentation looks good. no worries. :thumbs:

Do not send anything original other than the affidavits.

Mom sponsoring for her son(my brother)

06/15/2010 : I-130 for son
06/23/2010 : Check Cashed
06/26/2010 : Received NOA
03/20/2012 : Received RFE(I-797E)
05/23/2012: Application approved after RFE response
06/29/2012: Received letter from NVC

06/03/2015: Change petition from F1 to F3 category

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

6. K-1 & AOS & ROC TimeLine

Thanks guys,

it is kinda reassuring to hear from others....lol..

And yea, what I gathered from my infopass interview was that filing I-90 is unnecessary to replace a card that is about to expire in a months time and it will be no good and waste of money and for what? Just to prove that you infact had green card and you lost it? Which USCIS agent thought I can establish by just sending in a police report, a copy of I-797C (welcome letter) or I-797D (letter that came with the original green card) with explanation correspondence. I am planning on sending in a copy of my infopass interview receipt just so I can say that this was adviced by the agency rep himself...

Thanks again for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm probably one of the last filers left for this Month. Its a mad dash to the finish line for me. Since I've lost my green card and as I stated above; uscis officer advised me to send in a letter explaining what had happened instead of filing for replacement card, form I-90.

I'm trying to take it a step further as I have a copy of police report for lost conditional green card. I will be sending that along with a letter explaining my situation, copy of infopass appt printout to state that I had reported the lost/stolen card to police and seeked advice from USCIS itself, and a copy of my I-797C&D.

Anywho, hopefully that will help my situation. But I do have a questions for the filers since the search is down. Do you mark the bills, statements and documents circling dates, names etc to make it easier for examiners to sift through the docs or is that a NO-NO?

Just curious... please advise!

Filed: Timeline

Ok, I'm probably one of the last filers left for this Month. Its a mad dash to the finish line for me. Since I've lost my green card and as I stated above; uscis officer advised me to send in a letter explaining what had happened instead of filing for replacement card, form I-90.

I'm trying to take it a step further as I have a copy of police report for lost conditional green card. I will be sending that along with a letter explaining my situation, copy of infopass appt printout to state that I had reported the lost/stolen card to police and seeked advice from USCIS itself, and a copy of my I-797C&D.

Anywho, hopefully that will help my situation. But I do have a questions for the filers since the search is down. Do you mark the bills, statements and documents circling dates, names etc to make it easier for examiners to sift through the docs or is that a NO-NO?

Just curious... please advise!

We didn't, but if you want, they make stick-it arrows that are easy to remove.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I highlighted the information I wanted them to find quickly -names, dates, numbers, etc. - since most of what we were submitting were copies anyway. I wanted to make it as easy for them to find the necessary information and see its relevance as I could so they didn't get frustrated and stop looking :lol:.

I also included a 'table of contents' listing every document that I sent in order of inclusion in the package so if they were looking for something specific they could locate it easily.

Good luck!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.