thekatocat

K-2 forms and process?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Would appreciate any guidance or advice as I have not found detailed information regardind the K-2 visa process.

I am in the process of compiling my form I-129F and package for my Cuban fiancee and minor daughter. I am a bit paranoid about what forms are required specifically for the daughter. By listing her in the I-129F application is it understood that I am applying for the the K-2, I have not seen any guidance on such. Also will forms G-325A be required of the minor daughter.

Once approved will the daughter have to be present for the interview, undergo a medical exam? I presume she will need an exit visa (as she is Cuban) and obtain a letter from the father to allow the daughter to leave the country. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am going through the same thing, but the advice I can give is limited because I haven't completed the process yet, and there is not a lot of information on this forum about K2's. I will share what I know, or at least think I know about the process, so far.

The child should be listed on the I-129F. This will make it much simpler for the beneficiary to apply for the K2 at the consulate stage. It let's USCIS know that the petitioner is aware of the child, and therefore knows that the child has derivative status and may receive a visa. If you don't list the child on the I-129F then you may have a tough time submitting a K2 visa application later. You do not have to submit a G-325A for the child.

At the consulate stage, the process may be a bit more dependent on the consulate. For the most part, the child is also applying for a visa, so most of the same documents need to be submitted for both beneficiary and child. An exception is the DS-156K, which only the beneficiary needs to submit. Other things, like birth certificates, passports, medical exams, affidavits of support, and visa and immigration forms are pretty much the same. You'll also need a quit claim from the parent who is not immigrating. If the child is over 16, you'll also need police certificates.

Children are generally required to attend the interview, but some consulates don't require children under 14 to attend. Some consulates will also want to see some evidence that the child has a relationship with the petitioner, which means you may be asked to show photos of the child and petitioner together, and the child may be asked questions about the petitioner.

I can't tell you anything specific about Cuba because I know nothing about immigration from there.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
I am going through the same thing, but the advice I can give is limited because I haven't completed the process yet, and there is not a lot of information on this forum about K2's. I will share what I know, or at least think I know about the process, so far.

The child should be listed on the I-129F. This will make it much simpler for the beneficiary to apply for the K2 at the consulate stage. It let's USCIS know that the petitioner is aware of the child, and therefore knows that the child has derivative status and may receive a visa. If you don't list the child on the I-129F then you may have a tough time submitting a K2 visa application later. You do not have to submit a G-325A for the child.

At the consulate stage, the process may be a bit more dependent on the consulate. For the most part, the child is also applying for a visa, so most of the same documents need to be submitted for both beneficiary and child. An exception is the DS-156K, which only the beneficiary needs to submit. Other things, like birth certificates, passports, medical exams, affidavits of support, and visa and immigration forms are pretty much the same. You'll also need a quit claim from the parent who is not immigrating. If the child is over 16, you'll also need police certificates.

Children are generally required to attend the interview, but some consulates don't require children under 14 to attend. Some consulates will also want to see some evidence that the child has a relationship with the petitioner, which means you may be asked to show photos of the child and petitioner together, and the child may be asked questions about the petitioner.

I can't tell you anything specific about Cuba because I know nothing about immigration from there.

appreciate the response, another question as it is a hassle to get documents to and from Cuba; will I need to submit a photo of the minor child or include a statement in the fiancee's letter about the child applying for a K-2? as part of my initial submission?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Would appreciate any guidance or advice as I have not found detailed information regardind the K-2 visa process.

I am in the process of compiling my form I-129F and package for my Cuban fiancee and minor daughter. I am a bit paranoid about what forms are required specifically for the daughter. By listing her in the I-129F application is it understood that I am applying for the the K-2, I have not seen any guidance on such. Also will forms G-325A be required of the minor daughter.

Once approved will the daughter have to be present for the interview, undergo a medical exam? I presume she will need an exit visa (as she is Cuban) and obtain a letter from the father to allow the daughter to leave the country. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Relax, you are OK. List her daughter on the I-129f, that is all that is necessary for now. When the petition is approved you will be able to apply for the K-2 at the interview. I did this with my wife and her two sons. No problems.

Whether the child must attend the interview depends on the consulate. Kiev required it only for children over age 14, some require it for all children. Check with the consulate. YES she will have to have a medical exam, file the visa application forms, police certificate if over age 16, pay the fees, pay the AOS fees, everything exactly as you fiancee. It is the fiancee visa x 2. You will have to file a separate I-134 for the daughter. Plan on everything being a duplicate of the faincee visa. You will have to file for AOS when she arrives and will give a G-325a for her at that time.

Most countries (I hesitate to say "all" as such things can bite me) require a letter from the father giving permission for the child to reloacte to the United States permanently. The letter must be notarized and must be accompanied with a copy of the father's passport (or other government ID) with photo and signature. OR a court order of sole custody OR a detah certificate of the father. There are cut off ages for this, it was age 16 in Ukraine. A child over age 16 from Ukraine does not need this. Again, consulate specific.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

appreciate the response, another question as it is a hassle to get documents to and from Cuba; will I need to submit a photo of the minor child or include a statement in the fiancee's letter about the child applying for a K-2? as part of my initial submission?

Lets clear up one important thing. You are filing a petition at this point. YOU are not (and never will) "apply for a visa", you fiancee will do that at the interview. So will her daighter based on your approved petition. The petition is a request to request a visa. One cannot just walk into a consulate and apply for a fiancee visa (for obvious reasons). You must first be approved and determined to be eligible to petition a fiancee. That is the point you are at now.

FOR THE PETITION (I-129f) you do not need a photo of the child or any other document for the child. The child does not need to be mentioned in any way EXCEPT listed as a child on the I-129f form. I do not know how difficult it is to get documents in or out of Cuba but at this point ALL you need from your fiancee is a signed G-325a, a signed letter of intent, a passport photo (or any photo meeting the specifications for the passport photo) and a copy of her divorce certificate (if applicable). Anything else will be needed at the interview, for the visa applications she and her daughter will make, not for the petition which is what you file.

The US consulate in Cuba works with the Cuban government and anything the Cubans require for the child to leave the country will be required at the interview, there will be nothing else needed after that for the child to leave. Typically this is the absent parent letter. Such things are part of international treaties to protect children and vary little, though one never knows about specific countries. The consulate will be able to give specific instructions when the time comes, but I would plan on getting that letter.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Lets clear up one important thing. You are filing a petition at this point. YOU are not (and never will) "apply for a visa", you fiancee will do that at the interview. So will her daighter based on your approved petition. The petition is a request to request a visa. One cannot just walk into a consulate and apply for a fiancee visa (for obvious reasons). You must first be approved and determined to be eligible to petition a fiancee. That is the point you are at now.

FOR THE PETITION (I-129f) you do not need a photo of the child or any other document for the child. The child does not need to be mentioned in any way EXCEPT listed as a child on the I-129f form. I do not know how difficult it is to get documents in or out of Cuba but at this point ALL you need from your fiancee is a signed G-325a, a signed letter of intent, a passport photo (or any photo meeting the specifications for the passport photo) and a copy of her divorce certificate (if applicable). Anything else will be needed at the interview, for the visa applications she and her daughter will make, not for the petition which is what you file.

The US consulate in Cuba works with the Cuban government and anything the Cubans require for the child to leave the country will be required at the interview, there will be nothing else needed after that for the child to leave. Typically this is the absent parent letter. Such things are part of international treaties to protect children and vary little, though one never knows about specific countries. The consulate will be able to give specific instructions when the time comes, but I would plan on getting that letter.

Thanks for the excellent overview, you have just reduced my anxiety level significantly. Peace.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the excellent overview, you have just reduced my anxiety level significantly. Peace.

Thanks to everyone as well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.